What's your video card and how's it handling 1.4 Update?

Belacose

Intel Core i7-3930K (Six Core, 12MB Cache) Overclocked up to 3.9Ghz

1.25GB GDDR5 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti

16GB Quad Channel DDR3 at 1600MHz

256GB SATA 6Gb/s Solid State Drive

No problems running 1920x1200 before the update, no problems after the update.

Edited by Screaming_Ziva

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Geforce 570 GTX 1920x1200 windowed all on high...no performance problems.

I have seen the stutter once or twice on Ord Mantel but only momentarily and then it's gone. And I have seen an occsional red line flash in certain combat situations...it only shows up for a frame or two...not horrible just "off"

Edited by MrGrizzly

6850 (or thereabouts) x2, everything at max (except AA, which is off as my monitor size vs. resolution is good enough that there is no need for AA), nameplates on (w/ scaling) since 1.4 = unplayable stuttering when I move, otherwise pegged at 60 (vsync on). Turn off scaling (and as many nameplate options as possible... NPC ones seem almost mandatory to me) and the stuttering pretty much goes entirely away. Note: Approaching the cargo holds (while GTN was broken) with scaling off but nameplates on, my system *literally* hung for a second or two while it rendered all the nameplates of basically everybody in fleet gathered there. (turning nameplates off entirely it was fine) As somebody said, something in the rendering loop for the nameplates, (possibly text in general?) is a *very* slow operation now with certain card configurations. Would explain why even with nameplates off, there is still occasional hitching. It's hard to get away from text updates entirely.

I'm not sure what you're saying, I've run to the cargo hold area in fleet, and the scene is there, and as I run around the people slowly pop in w/ no real hitches, which if I'm understanding right seems to contradict your hypothesis.

Edited by GnatB

EArly in this thread I said I wasn't having problems with my SLI 2 x gtx 560: false. I did not realize that my SLI was disabled. Now that is enabled, if I want to play, I have to switch the shadows off...... And on DK, aldo with SLI disabled I have to do it, if not I suffer lot of Stuttering. Edited by NinjaApacHe

GTX580 + i7-3770k@4GHz + 8GB 1866 RAM

Running smoothly everything maxed out on 1080p. Nvidia drivers 306.xx give some graphical glitches on the fleet though, 301.xx ran just fine. Would say about avg 70fps, sometimes goes down to 20-ish on fleet.

nVidia GTX 540 for TOR

Forgot what Intel card I also have here, but that's for non-gaming, etc.

But anyway, sinse "optimizations way back when and after 1.4 my screen freezes and I have to task master it out of TOR more often now. Ops, FPs, etc have been near impossible at times for me because of this sole reason. Nvidia started to run like crap on TOR sinse BW messed up the graphics in the "optimization" converstions...

Edited by Eillack

Would especially like to hear from any of you using the following cards - Nvidia 545, 555, 560ti, 660 OEM and GTX 670?

Please, however, at least post whatever card of any brand you run and how it's handling the new update.

Thanks in advance!

Hogg

Im using a gigabyte gtx 670 windforce. At 1920x1080 resolution and everything maxed out to highest settings I am getting 110 fps. sometimes it dips down to 68 fps for just a moment but I really do think that card or its amd equivalent is the way to go.

NVidia GeForce GT220, and I have never had problems with any update, but I only run it on moderate settings.

Personally I think the game looks a lot better on lower settings now. Good job Bio Ware!

Has anyone ever had any problems with darkness though? I feel after the last two updates I have to make the game brighter manually, I don't remember having to do this ever before.

Edited by NoaFlux

2x 6850's

triple monitor eyefinity

5760x1080

1.4 made it unplayable

found suggestion on forum to turn off nameplate scaling in preferences and it's a LOT better (still not as good as before)

Hopefully the patch today fixes it.

To all the ppl having so called glitches and delays, some of you have graphic cards which there shouldnt be a single problem with? *** are you doing with your computers?

a few tips...

- DO A COMPLETE VIRUS AND SPYWARE SCAN AND REMOVE IT ALL! (this fixes 5/10 issues and yes all that crap on you pc really does take a huge toll on the performance of everything you do)

If you don't own this type of software I recommended using AVG and it's backgroundshield and downloading Adaware (not to use its protection shield) but only to run a complete scan and removal of spyware.

- CLEAN OUT DRIVERS.

As in completely remove any and all traces of drivers you have installed at the moment, if you have to, download special tools to make sure you get all traces removed! There's usually on your GFX manufactureres website. Then reinstall the non-beta (newest) version of your graphics card driver... if your having trouble still, download the version just before that. If all else fails perhaps your lucky with BETA drivers, but use it as a last resort...

- DON'T INSTALL ANY SOFTWARE AT ALL, that promises to speed up your PC somehow! This is ALL ******** since no such program exists, cuz guess what... your computer can't get faster than the hardware in it! All you have to do is keep things clean on the spyware/crap software department and it will do fine.

- CLEAR HARDDRIVE SPACE: I recommend having at least 60 gigs free on the same drive as your operating system.

- (DESKTOP COMPUTERS) Take off your cover on the side of the PC... if there are wires everywhere and they arent neatly tugged in the back, to make way for a decent airflow... disconnect the power cable and rearrange EVERYTHING so that the 2-3 case fans (which you should have as a minimum) generates a decent airflow through the case.

IF EVERYTHING ELSE FAILS and you feel your computer has no purpose in life if it can't play SWTOR, then reformat your entire C: drive, do a fresh windows install, install antivirus as the VERY first thing you do, update all drivers, install tor and try to play.

Take my advice or leave it, but I'm pretty sure that if you all would just bother with making sure at least all these things are 100% in order it will solve half the problems out there.

Don't just moan like a frickin helpless baby and point your finger at Bioware, learn to solve your problems instead.

And have a nice day ;)

EDIT: Btw I'm running on a GTX 480 (slightly overclocked), Core i7 930 @ 3.4 Ghz, Windows 7 64 Bit with the latest forceware drivers from nvidia's site (non-beta ones) and everything is flawless, also since patch I have a pretty solid FPS increase.

Edited by Blackweb
typo's

I have seen no issues for a long time now. Since this patch I have only run the new ops twice though on my knight and gunslinger. Details are as follows.

Intel 2500k overclocked at 4.3ghz

8 MB RAM

Nvidia 560 TI 448 (the 448 is a 570/580 chipset that didn't pass testing)

I run in fullscreen windowed (dual monitor setup) with all the settings maxed. 1920x1080 resolution.

Was showing between 70 and 100 fps on fleet and in the ops.

Edited by mphill

To all the ppl having so called glitches and delays, some of you have graphic cards which there shouldnt be a single problem with? *** are you doing with your computers?

a few tips...

- DO A COMPLETE VIRUS AND SPYWARE SCAN AND REMOVE IT ALL! (this fixes 5/10 issues and yes all that crap on you pc really does take a huge toll on the performance of everything you do)

If you don't own this type of software I recommended using AVG and it's backgroundshield and downloading Adaware (not to use its protection shield) but only to run a complete scan and removal of spyware.

- CLEAN OUT DRIVERS.

As in completely remove any and all traces of drivers you have installed at the moment, if you have to, download special tools to make sure you get all traces removed! There's usually on your GFX manufactureres website. Then reinstall the non-beta (newest) version of your graphics card driver... if your having trouble still, download the version just before that. If all else fails perhaps your lucky with BETA drivers, but use it as a last resort...

- DON'T INSTALL ANY SOFTWARE AT ALL, that promises to speed up your PC somehow! This is ALL ******** since no such program exists, cuz guess what... your computer can't get faster than the hardware in it! All you have to do is keep things clean on the spyware/crap software department and it will do fine.

- CLEAR HARDDRIVE SPACE: I recommend having at least 60 gigs free on the same drive as your operating system.

- (DESKTOP COMPUTERS) Take off your cover on the side of the PC... if there are wires everywhere and they arent neatly tugged in the back, to make way for a decent airflow... disconnect the power cable and rearrange EVERYTHING so that the 2-3 case fans (which you should have as a minimum) generates a decent airflow through the case.

IF EVERYTHING ELSE FAILS and you feel your computer has no purpose in life if it can't play SWTOR, then reformat your entire C: drive, do a fresh windows install, install antivirus as the VERY first thing you do, update all drivers, install tor and try to play.

Take my advice or leave it, but I'm pretty sure that if you all would just bother with making sure at least all these things are 100% in order it will solve half the problems out there.

Don't just moan like a frickin helpless baby and point your finger at Bioware, learn to solve your problems instead.

And have a nice day ;)

EDIT: Btw I'm running on a GTX 480 (slightly overclocked), Core i7 930 @ 3.4 Ghz, Windows 7 64 Bit with the latest forceware drivers from nvidia's site (non-beta ones) and everything is flawless, also since patch I have a pretty solid FPS increase.

Good for you increase but the majority of people have crap performance. Pre 1.4 excellent performance average 90 FPS. Now I'm lucky if I hit 10. 1.4 broke it. Bioware broke it NOT the users. :mad:

First: No, its not a single threaded engine. Please don't spread information unless you actually have some knowledge.

Second: The troubleshooting on many of the stuttering problems show that it is indeed a rendering issue. That rendering issue is clearly caused by engine behavior, but the implication that this has something to do with the number of threads is just... absolutely silly. To anyone who actually understands software design it makes no sense. For SLI issues, there is likely a rendering change that is not supported by the current SLI profile. For Nameplate Scaling, there is likely a slow operation that has been included in the render loop.

ATI 4870 and no stuttering till Patch 1.4

And yea the Hero Engine is single threaded but they run 2 .exe files to fake multi-threads. So yea it is single.

90% of our problems with this game are from BioWare not Video Cards or hardware.

a few tips...

Dude. Please. It's well established by now that game update 1.4 broke the game for many people including those with highend hardware like myself (GTX 680). It's not our computers. It's patch 1.4. It's not like people are suffering from a mysterious drop in performance. To the contrary.

It is 100% clear and obvious that people had 60fps (VSync enabled) right before the patch and the game ran smooth as silk on the highest settings and that after the patch the game still runs at 60fps (according to external tools) but now there's tons of stuttering and frame-skipping etc. as if there were serious performance issues or lag spikes.

The ball is entirely in BioWare's territory on this particular issue. Let's not even try to come up with excuses for them, OK?

ATI 4870 and no stuttering till Patch 1.4

And yea the Hero Engine is single threaded but they run 2 .exe files to fake multi-threads. So yea it is single.

90% of our problems with this game are from BioWare not Video Cards or hardware.

Yeah. I responded a while back and politely explained it again.

Geforce GT 330M.

Pre-patch I was playing with Character detail options, shader complexity on high and with bloom and low settings on everything else except shadows, which was turned off. I had a constant 30-35 fps at majority of areas. However after patch I did not get a FPS drop, but stuttering.

I have tried all the suggestions given in the customer thread, but problem for me seem to lie with name plates. I've turned all the options off, but when I target one and the default nameplate pops up the stuttering kicks in. This does not happen though with shader setting on very low and the game is fully playable.

Dude. Please. It's well established by now that game update 1.4 broke the game for many people including those with highend hardware like myself (GTX 680). It's not our computers. It's patch 1.4. It's not like people are suffering from a mysterious drop in performance. To the contrary.

It is 100% clear and obvious that people had 60fps (VSync enabled) right before the patch and the game ran smooth as silk on the highest settings and that after the patch the game still runs at 60fps (according to external tools) but now there's tons of stuttering and frame-skipping etc. as if there were serious performance issues or lag spikes.

The ball is entirely in BioWare's territory on this particular issue. Let's not even try to come up with excuses for them, OK?

Where in my post did I post that Bioware had no blame what so ever?

Sure there are systems out there that are having issues since this patch, but the fact is people generally suck at taking care of their systems and if they would just take the time to systematically go through their system using the tips I provided and perhaps a bunch of others I didn't write, they could fix most issues!

So let's try not to jump to conclusion about posts people make, before we are absolutely sure they arent talking out of their behind ok?

Where in my post did I post that Bioware had no blame what so ever?

Sure there are systems out there that are having issues since this patch, but the fact is people generally suck at taking care of their systems and if they would just take the time to systematically go through their system using the tips I provided and perhaps a bunch of others I didn't write, they could fix most issues!

So let's try not to jump to conclusion about posts people make, before we are absolutely sure they arent talking out of their behind ok?

Hey buddy there's no point in doing any of your suggestions because its not a computer problem its a game problem.

Before 1.4 game was fine

Post 1.4 game is crap

Its the game 100% and I'd stake my life on that.

Edited by Jaick