Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Do you guys think Makeb will have a Day/Night cycle?

Mikeni

You sound enthusiastic about playing in a poorly made Star Wars universe. I guess you and all the players left here will keep giving BioWare a pass on mediocre content.

Can't believe the players here love mediocre content. I would rather have players push for good suggestions to improve SWTOR.

One man's trash is another man's treasure. I would rather time and resources be placed on things that truly matter and can improve the game. While "Atmospheric" type of features can enhance game play for some players, it certainly isn't beneficial as a whole. I would rather see the Space portion of the game fleshed out - that would offer much more bang for the buck than sitting on one's bum watching a sunset. (Quite frankly, if I wanted to do that, I would do it in real life as the experience cannot be matched, especially when you are in the right place with the right person or people).

BJ

Edited by BJWyler

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With the fan outrage BW recieved on not having day/night cycles on planets, do you think BW devs took the hint and incorporated a day/night cycle on Makeb?

I'm hoping for one, even if it's just on the one planet, it would be pretty cool.

Most BIoware games don't have a day/night cycle, I have never cared for it anyway. EXcept in Ocarina of time, but the day/night cycle actually meant something in Zelda games.

One man's trash is another man's treasure. I would rather time and resources be placed on things that truly matter and can improve the game. While "Atmospheric" type of features can enhance game play for some players, it certainly isn't beneficial as a whole. I would rather see the Space portion of the game fleshed out - that would offer much more bang for the buck than sitting on one's bum watching a sunset. (Quite frankly, if I wanted to do that, I would do it in real life as the experience cannot be matched, especially when you are in the right place with the right person or people).

BJ

Hey now I want a real space game too in SWTOR... and some amazing vistas to look at while the sun sets. :)

No planet has and it will never have, so Makeb won`t either.

And before you all jump for Presidential Decree as to why I am so sure... Taris is shared between Rep and Imp - one has daylight, the other happens during the night. You see.. they want you to be immersed an` stuff...

Oh.. and it`s likely too much work... and it`ll likely break something else... so I`m not even sure I want it to begin with.

Ha.. this is new... not wanting new features for fear of the dev breaking something else... sad story...

Edited by Styxx

With the fan outrage BW recieved on not having day/night cycles on planets, do you think BW devs took the hint and incorporated a day/night cycle on Makeb?

I'm hoping for one, even if it's just on the one planet, it would be pretty cool.

The game engine cant handle what in the game now and I think day/night would break the servers.

I would really like to have a day night cycle with mobs that only come out in each but I dont think the engine could handle it...

Probably not.

It's funny, because a day/night/weather cycle for planets would probably seem like a "back burner" feature to add from EAware's perspective. They'd rather dish out more warzones and flashpoints. Yet if 1.5 introduced planet cycles that would probably garner the biggest round of applause more than anything they could add otherwise.

It's the little things that count.

Probably not.

It's funny, because a day/night/weather cycle for planets would probably seem like a "back burner" feature to add from EAware's perspective. They'd rather dish out more warzones and flashpoints. Yet if 1.5 introduced planet cycles that would probably garner the biggest round of applause more than anything they could add otherwise.

It's the little things that count.

Sad to say it but applause does not buy you lunch. Would be super cool though plus more weather effects like dust storms on tatooine ans so on.

BJ

I very much doubt it's a case of either/or, it is much more likely to be a case of not happening/not happening. :(

I just figured that since most of the turn-around that this game experiences is high level players leaving for one reason or another, that BW would consider adding a bit more immersion to a planet that high level players will be playing on for long periods of time.

I had no idea so many ppl would shoot the idea down lol!

I just figured that since most of the turn-around that this game experiences is high level players leaving for one reason or another, that BW would consider adding a bit more immersion to a planet that high level players will be playing on for long periods of time.

I had no idea so many ppl would shoot the idea down lol!

This is nothing, when this was first suggested after Live back in December, my God you'd have though people were suggesting Bioware start eating babies. :)

This is such a good idea.

But regarding weather and weather effects, it would help the world feel more alive by like.. 999999% percent.

It's a shame that they don't put it in.

The original hero engine, which has been developed further after the swtor team took a prototype full of bugs and poor performance - has got weather and dynamic lighting today. It should not be hard to implement it.

Ah yes, the Legendary Hero Engine! Guaranteed to cut development time in half! (Nobody said anything about bugs!) :rak_04:

No, it would be pointless.

It wouldn't be pointless, I think it helps with immersion along with weather effects like snow or rain. That being said I still don't care it won't ever be implemented because they have so many other things they need to be working on rather than non essential things like that. It would be nice, but not necessary.

Oh yeah. About the weather effects. No rudeness or offense meant, but I don't care.

It would be cool though.

On Hoth, you'd just have to take a cold stim or something. It could be technology that doesn't exist in the Star Wars future, like alot of other things that don't exist in the Star Wars future. In a lot of ways, episodes 1-6 are kinda like Medieval or Dark Age times compared to all the stuff that exists in SWTOR. When KotOR came out, something was said about certain tech being lost, one specifically, whatever coating or whatever it is that makes vibroblades resistant to Lightsabers.

Also
and

Nice video! I hugley miss the weather effects and day/night cycles from LOTRO. WoW's can be pretty nice too, but LOTRO's can be breath taking.

I WOULD LOVE to see day/night cycles in MakeB.

I might actually become a fanboi for just a moment if Bioware did this. :D

Also
and

I like that first video. It is really nice looking.

This game would be a lot better if they did add night and day as well as weather. I would not mind it.

Plus...

It should not be to hard for them as the Hero Engine does have those features in it.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.