Would love to make a commando trooper, but ...

LordAnardil

I really hate how bad (most of) the assault cannons clip with the armor. It really gets me off. The alternative would be playing a vanguard, but the playstyle doesn't suit me at all :( Anyone else who's as neurotic as me on this, or am I overreacting again? :eek:

I know it's a minor visual thingy for many of you, but still ... you probably have to look at it for the rest of your SWTORcareer, so it might as well be right? no? :p I really hope BW fixes this :(

Don't feel bad, I chose a vanguard over commando solely because of how silly the BFG looks on your back

Vanguard is still very fun, you can always find groups if you spec tank, and you dominate in pvp

If you really don't like either though, I guess you're SOL

Seriously, though -- how long does one ever spend with a particular armor/weapon combination? It's constantly changing as you level, and even at level cap, as they add tiers with new instances, crafting recipes, and expansions, you're never truly "stuck" with one precise appearance.

The Jedi's are complaining about the earth-toned monotony in their outfits.

I'm not sure they can please everybody.

Seriously, though -- how long does one ever spend with a particular armor/weapon combination? It's constantly changing as you level, and even at level cap, as they add tiers with new instances, crafting recipes, and expansions, you're never truly "stuck" with one precise appearance.

The Jedi's are complaining about the earth-toned monotony in their outfits.

I'm not sure they can please everybody.

I don't know how you compare wearing the same outfit throughout the whole game to someone being slightly anal (no offense op) about weapons clipping through gear.

Quick warning: I'm only level 24 - it may well be by end-game this becomes completely non-viable and stupid. I don't know. I do know it's worked absolutely fine thus-far.

------

I didn't like the Vanguard playstyle* and didn't like the idea of using a Commando because of the Assault Cannon.

Then I discovered something:

Depending on how you spec and play, you don't necessarily NEED the assault cannon.

Why? Because the AC doesn't seem to do any more damage than a rifle - it's only purpose seems to be to enable certain skills. If you spec Assault rather than Gunnery, most of the skills affected by your spec and your new abilities are Rifle usable.

Now this does mean you cannot use either Charged Bolts or Hail of Bolts; for some that may be a serious problem, but I personally wasn't particularly fond of either skill. Mortar Volley is better than Hail of Bolts against the kind of mobs I want to use it on, and rifle usable, albeit on a longer cooldown; and Charged Bolts is vying for ammunition with other things like Incendiary Round, Plasma Grenade, Full Auto and even Stock Strike. None of which it really beats out, and it's rare I find I'm in a position where I have lots of spare ammo lying around.

Basically I rely a lot on burning things - Plasma Grenade + Incendiary Round + Plasma Cell builds up quite a DOT in short order, and is usually overkill on mobs you'll fight solo. It's also just plain old fun to light everything on fire imo. Mmm... pyromania.

Now all that said:

Again I'm only level 24. By 50 it could very well be that this is non-functional; but so far everything has gone quite well.

*Or if I'm more specific - I hate that it seemed as a Vanguard I wasn't using my rifle to shoot actual blaster bolts very often. That... was bothersome. I still don't put out as many blaster rounds as I'd like but at least this way I get a little more.

If you compare same rating weapons, you'll see an assault cannon has a better damage range than a blaster rifle. So in general you will do more damage with a cannon than a rifle, not including the few skills that require a cannon to operate.

You can get away with it somewhat, but you will not perform at the same level as someone using an assault cannon. The class is just not set up for the two weapons to work equally well.

I really hate how bad (most of) the assault cannons clip with the armor. It really gets me off. The alternative would be playing a vanguard, but the playstyle doesn't suit me at all :( Anyone else who's as neurotic as me on this, or am I overreacting again? :eek:

I know it's a minor visual thingy for many of you, but still ... you probably have to look at it for the rest of your SWTORcareer, so it might as well be right? no? :p I really hope BW fixes this :(

Orange weapons can be modified and have their stats changed. This means you can put level 50 mods in a cannon and have it at level 50, and have gotten it around level 17.

Just find a cannon that doesn't clip into you, make sure it is orange and replace the mods in it as you level up. That should fix your problem.

Armstech dealers can make orange weapons later on, whether or not that can build many different types of orange assault cannons are not something I know. Do the math in your head and fix the problem quickly.