Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

The rise and fall of the Fatman.

UGLYMRJ

Fortunately for me, Dreshdae Cantina stayed fairly strong until it was merged with the shadowlands. We had 2 main guilds on each faction that kept the PvP rolling, along with some solid independents. (also some baddies, but hey, it happens)

RIP dreshdae, you shall be missed.

Edited by Sock_Bramson

There was a thread in may/june called 'The rise of Fatman'. People were super excited about the booming population on this server while the rest of us were doing 1 wz /hour. A few of us, including myself, were happy that some could actually play the game but emphasized that The Fatman will die as well. It seems that it took only a few months for this server to have a declining population.

When I moved to TOFN, it had 4 instances of over 200 people just on the republic fleet. We had 160+ people at 6 am with instant wz pops all round. They have created this superserver now and the queue for ranked wz is quite sad : yesterday we had 2 ranked wz in 2 hours. In any case, by this time next year, things will be again different and BW will probably take some drastic measures.

The server died when the game didn't meet the needs of many hardcore PvP'ers and they began to disappear. What's left is mostly PvE/RP guilds, with spinkles of PvP'ers scrambling to make their PvP ends meet.

Truth.

Edited by Apaolo

The server died when the game didn't meet the needs of many hardcore PvP'ers. What's left is mostly PvE/RP guilds, with spinkles of PvP'ers scrambling to make their PvP ends meet.

Truth.

Sprinkles? Getting less than 1 minute que's isn't a sprinkle. It's a deluge. There was more PVP on fatman than PVE. You only noticed a decline in the pop when PVP'ers stopped playing. And the new FAT5 server is even better. The Imps from POT5 are way better than the Imps from Fatman ever since <STS> decided to bail.

Sprinkles? Getting less than 1 minute que's isn't a sprinkle. It's a deluge. There was more PVP on fatman than PVE. You only noticed a decline in the pop when PVP'ers stopped playing. And the new FAT5 server is even better. The Imps from POT5 are way better than the Imps from Fatman ever since <STS> decided to bail.

Que'ing up for PvP =/= hardcore PvP'ers (which is what I was referring to); and over the last 2 months, there was much more PvE than PvP, from a guild standpoint.

Also, not talking about the new server merge, talking about the old Fatman.

Cheers.

Edited by Apaolo

Yeah, it's very sad for the PvPers because supposedly PvP carried SWTOR since it's launch. PvE content was mastered too easily, gear progression happened too quickly, and new content was very underwhelming. On the other hand SWTOR was and still is one of the better balanced games for PvP, and for the most part people liked it. But now that all the PvPers are fully geared and there is little incentive for them to continue playing other than just for fun, all the hardcore PvPers have stopped logging on and quing up for Rated Warzones. My main character has had full War Hero gear for about 3 months now and with the next patch they're only releasing new weapons. If 1.4 does bring back lots of players it surely won't keep them entertained for very long with the limited PvP progression they have in the works now.

Overall I feel like the downfall of this game is mostly due to the fact that people are progressing MUCH faster than BW can release new content, creating huge amounts of time in between when content is finished and when new content comes out. These period are usually extremely boring and cause people to stop logging in for a while. I honestly believe that a healthy MMO starts with supplying hardcore gamers with a healthy amount of content that keeps them around, and gives the casual gamers something to always look forward too whether they ever get there or not. Once the hardcore gamers start leaving, the casual ones eventually do too because the hardcore ones are the guild leaders, ranked warzone group leaders, and pve Op leaders. Without them, the casuals have nothing to look forward too, people quit, and guilds die.

TLDR: PVE content needs to be much harder and PvE & PvP gear progression needs to be much slower in order to keep hardcore players raiding Ops and quing for Rated Warzones.

Edited by DimeStax

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.