Consolidated Post: APAC/Oceanic Server Concerns

Cheezfriend

Honestly, I think with all 3 servers merged together, it is still going to be a small community compared to the US/EU Super Servers.

and it can definitely be tight knit, I know Master Dar'Nala is a small community and everyone knows everyone, or of everyone. I don't think merging with Dalborra and Gav'Daragon will change that, just enhance what we already have.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think they are deciding if they should keep them at all, what else could possibly be the cause of such delays?

Personally i want my chars off this APAC hell hole, and have my fingers crossed for APAC to US server xfers.

Alright, I didn't think I'd honestly stoop to this but I have.

You want a server merger? Fine, then tell whoever it is that has my character names to change theirs first. My main is Ailias Bash'wan. I've role played her as Ailias from day one, that is her name. If you merge servers you're just going to start all this name changing crap all over again. Going through our guild list with the more noteable characters is the same deal, names unavailable. These are names we spent hours coming up with, with some the sheer fact that someone else has managed to create it... who else thinks up a random name like Arvisur if not to copy someone else?!

So not only would I be forced to play with a bunch of wankers which quite frankly can all go top themselves as far as I'm concerned, but the years worth of RP I've built with my characters and our guild will be shot to pieces.

Sorry, but no.

You want a server merger? Fine, then tell whoever it is that has my character names to change theirs first. My main is Ailias Bash'wan. I've role played her as Ailias from day one, that is her name. If you merge servers you're just going to start all this name changing crap all over again. Going through our guild list with the more noteable characters is the same deal, names unavailable. These are names we spent hours coming up with, with some the sheer fact that someone else has managed to create it... who else thinks up a random name like Arvisur if not to copy someone else?!

So not only would I be forced to play with a bunch of wankers which quite frankly can all go top themselves as far as I'm concerned, but the years worth of RP I've built with my characters and our guild will be shot to pieces.

Sorry, but no.

Years worth of RP .....

where do you people come from? Its a *********** game lol ....

Sorry, but no.

You are such an inspiring pillar of the community Ailie.... No wait.... Got that wrong... Meant complete prat...

The fact that you are arguing against the whole idea of an MMO is astounding... Your argument is that you don't want a high population (in a MASSIVELY MULTIPLAYER) because you deem everyone not in your clique of guildmates (none of which have posted on the forums as it obviously breaks the "immersion" factor) as "wankers"... And it took you hours to come up with the name "Ailias"....

Edited by MyPetMonkey

If you are worried about "role play" immersion - here is the best way for bio/eaware to make it work.

You get channels. You can hide Gen chat, and have RP chat for all your stuff.

they can slightly change the group finder - so that when you queue, you have a check box "RP". if it is checked you wont get set with people who dont have it checked.

now the only way you are going to have to deal with 'wankers" in is /say or /whisper, and for that you have your ignore option.

To be honest, most people wont get all antsy about you RP'ing, most will even join in, and only the very select few will cause issues. Really a merge is always going to improve a community, and if you are worried about deadbeats from our server, think how many are on your server, there are probably less here.

Must be waiting for Makeb/Chapter 4 to hit and review then

Alas, there is no chapter 4, just an extended interlude.

I have some names I like too, names very likely to be taken if there is a merger, but the fact is something needs to be done. Even if they let the transfers be optional, there won't be much a server left, and all those transferring would have to change their names for sure. With their current merger system, if you have had a name like . . . completely random example . . . Ailias . . . ;) and you have been using that name for a long time, and playing with that character a lot, you will keep it. If you lose it it's very likely someone else had it before you and likes it just as much as you.

And take my seminar! I mean survey in my sig! If you haven't already . . .

Edited by Evgen

One of my charaters name is my RL nickname I didn't get it on my US server during early access but I was lucky enough to get it on the APAC launch on Master D but was unable to get it on Dalborra or Gav Daragon But with my main I was able to get that name on all servers. I did this as a safety net in case of a merge or if I wanted to play with friends on the PVE or Role play server. If you use a common name and didn't think of this don't complain about it. 'cause it doesn't bother me if I can't use my RL nickname or a charater name that I have been using since Jedi Knight. Edited by SgtKatharn
more information

You want a server merger? Fine, then tell whoever it is that has my character names to change theirs first. My main is Ailias Bash'wan. I've role played her as Ailias from day one, that is her name..

I'm not going to 'call you out' on your post, Ailie (like I saw a couple of folks did), but I will say one thing:

Your demand won't be taken into any sort of consideration. Period.

When EAWare merged all the EU and US servers, they applied some sort of bizarre recipe involving subscription time and status, age of character, recent log-in, and so forth, to determine who got to keep their name, and who didn't. They never explained to us exactly what the formula was, what I've posted is educated guesswork and extrapolation by the forum community.

Bottom line, they'll use the exact same formula to keep it 'fair', if they do a server merge (and it is by no means a sure thing). If that means we lose the names of our characters - that's too bad for us. Kiss them bye-bye, and brainstorm a new one. Or halt your subscription. Those are really the only options you'll have. Yeah, it sucks, but there it is.

Hi everyone,

I know it’s been a while since we’ve updated this thread, and I wanted to let you know that we haven’t forgotten about our Oceanic players. Now that we’re at a more stable point in time (post Free-to-Play transition and post holidays), we wanted to re-examine this issue. We’re going to be completely honest with you: there doesn’t seem to be an easy solution for anyone. We’ve seen many ideas from you folks such as merging all three servers into one, allowing for transfers to North America servers, and even not doing anything at all, but none of them seem to be an ideal solution for all. This is why we are now opening up this dialogue with you.

In this thread, please let us know what you think the best solution will be for your servers. I know there have been many suggestions already, but I would like to collect the most current ideas for us to consider. After that, our team will review and discuss what is feasible and what makes the most sense to do. Please remember to follow all forum rules and be respectful of each other’s ideas, even if you disagree with it.

Thank you all, and we look forward to your ideas.

I only see 2 options, cross server or merge all 3 servers into 1. If you merge the server into one, there will be so many people on and we can run anything all the time!

If you open up transfers, it will kill our server! You have to think about the people that want to stay with the community!

Edited by overkillss

Sorry, but no.

Deary me... For someone that has made a positive contribution and taken a strong stance for the RP server in this entire thread, the post you just made has just done it for me. Back when I posted my 2 options in pretty blue after joveth called for suggestions I took into consideration the RP communities concerns mostly based on what you have written.

Anyway what you put in the last paragraph has really changed my opinion on you but I won't share it on a public forum. Seriously mate pull your head in. You can spend ages building up a reputation and blow it all through one silly comment just like that. The fact you are getting so upset over a hypothetical scenario that we don't even know is going to happen makes me feel sorry for you.

Whatever BW does is going to upset people, but we can't always get what we want, funny how life is like that... Three words come into mind, get over it. But enough of my wisdom.

A name is a name, move on, I came up with the name Cheezfriend after my obsession with lolcats and I can has cheezburger. I came up with the name Chippy after eating a pack of Doritos when SWTOR went live at prelaunch...Some might think I'm a creative genius, some might just think I'm some weirdo that puts no forethought into their character names.

Moving on...

Come on BW drop your bombshell of a decision please!!!

Keep the pressure up, keep it civil, keep it real.

Yours in lolcats and eating Doritos.

<3 Chippy

Edited by Cheezfriend

classic Bioware response time is 3 months.. we waited 3 months for them to actually state that there might be a problem and we are looking into it. we waited 3 months for them to acknowledge "hey there might be an issue here, lets think about doing something" and so we will wait 3 months before they decide on what changes to make. We will then wait a further 3 months for them to actually implement these changes.. sooo 6 months from now we might all be playing on the same server.. whooo by that time MD's 3 last 50's would have unsubed and there will be no point.. classic EA controlled company.

Deary me... For someone that has made a positive contribution and taken a strong stance for the RP server in this entire thread, the post you just made has just done it for me. Back when I posted my 2 options in pretty blue after joveth called for suggestions I took into consideration the RP communities concerns mostly based on what you have written.

Anyway what you put in the last paragraph has really changed my opinion on you but I won't share it on a public forum. Seriously mate pull your head in. You can spend ages building up a reputation and blow it all through one silly comment just like that. The fact you are getting so upset over a hypothetical scenario that we don't even know is going to happen makes me feel sorry for you.

Whatever BW does is going to upset people, but we can't always get what we want, funny how life is like that... Three words come into mind, get over it. But enough of my wisdom.

A name is a name, move on, I came up with the name Cheezfriend after my obsession with lolcats and I can has cheezburger. I came up with the name Chippy after eating a pack of Doritos when SWTOR went live at prelaunch...Some might think I'm a creative genius, some might just think I'm some weirdo that puts no forethought into their character names.

Moving on...

Come on BW drop your bombshell of a decision please!!!

Keep the pressure up, keep it civil, keep it real.

Yours in lolcats and eating Doritos.

<3 Chippy

well put Cheezfriend, when you agree to play a MMORPG you have to expect that you might not get the name that you have used for your charater else ware it the nature of the game (or games). But back on topic,

In general I think IP banning isn't practical.

I was told for some Perfect World game that my IP had been used for some kind of bad behaviour, so I couldn't use some of their web services. I had only just started that internet service recently. Some kind of PC ID in combination with other factors would be best.

I know that IP baning is not the ideal solution it was just an Idea from a player, yours is better.

If you are worried about "role play" immersion - here is the best way for bio/eaware to make it work.

You get channels. You can hide Gen chat, and have RP chat for all your stuff.

they can slightly change the group finder - so that when you queue, you have a check box "RP". if it is checked you wont get set with people who dont have it checked.

now the only way you are going to have to deal with 'wankers" in is /say or /whisper, and for that you have your ignore option.

To be honest, most people wont get all antsy about you RP'ing, most will even join in, and only the very select few will cause issues. Really a merge is always going to improve a community, and if you are worried about deadbeats from our server, think how many are on your server, there are probably less here.

Another good sugestion also the roleplay flag from an earlier post is also another good idea as well as the triple instances due to flags one for each type (thanks to who ever they were). The way that I see this possible server merge is that it could be a test bed for the future of MMORPG's, because if Bioware can satisfy the Role players as well as the the PVPer on a multi type server it would mean that the production comanies wouldn't have to have multiple servers fro the different play styles or the two different types of role play servers that Bioware currently have in the US/EU because TRUE ROLE PLAY IS PVP. and that is my two cents worth.

Edited by SgtKatharn

63 responses to the survey in my sig now.

I am thinking even the current trends are accurate, as they haven't changed since 30 responses.

About 80 % for server merges

How would an APAC server merger affect your attitude towards playing SWTOR? Select all that apply.

I would subscribe/re-subscribe to the game . . . . 15.25% . . . . 9

I would play/play more . . . . 72.88% . . . . 43

I would want to transfer to back to APAC servers. . . . . 10.17% . . . . 6

I would unsubscribe from/quit the game . . . . 6.78% . . . . 4

I would play less . . . . 5.08% . . . . 3

I would want to transfer off APAC servers . . . . 8.47% . . . . 5

People are also generally for transfers to and from APAC server, with about as many people wanting to move back that want to leave

How would allowing transfers to and from APAC servers affect your attitude towards playing SWTOR?

I would subscribe/re-subscribe to the game . . . . 10% . . . . 5

I would play/play more . . . . 72% . . . . 36

I would want to transfer to back to APAC servers. . . . . 12% . . . . 6

I would unsubscribe from/quit the game . . . . 12% . . . . 6

I would play less . . . . 20% . . . . 10

I would want to transfer off APAC servers . . . . 8% . . . . 4

Take the survey if you haven't done so yet!

The way that I see this possible server merge is that it could be a test bed for the future of MMORPG's, because if Bioware can satisfy the Role players as well as the the PVPer on a multi type server it would mean that the production comanies wouldn't have to have multiple servers fro the different play styles or the two different types of role play servers that Bioware currently have in the US/EU because TRUE ROLE PLAY IS PVP. and that is my two cents worth.

I don't think that would ever really fly. You might think that people who shared a particular hobby would have more in common, but MMO's are peculiar. Nick Yee wrote some really interesting articles on the psychology of MMOs. This is a quote from an article on avatars and identity:

For some players, the avatar becomes a purposeful projection or idealization of their own identity, while for others, the avatar is an experiment with new identities. There are also those for whom the avatar is merely a pawn - the means for an end. These differences actually fall along personality differences. Introverted players tend to create characters that are projections or idealizations of themselves, while extraverted players tend to experiment with new identities through their characters. Of course, differences in avatar importance are also influenced by differences in motivation. Players driven by achievement focus more on the power and effectiveness of their avatar’s equipment, while players driven by socialization or immersion are more focused on their avatar’s appearances.

I think there's a bit of generalization there, but the PVP/RP division does seem to reflect two different and conflicting personality types. We're playing the same game but for completely different reasons. Anyone who has ever trawled through one of those tedious "griefer vs carebear" arguments that pop up with depressing regularity on multigame websites will have long since concluded that those differences are probably irreconcilable.

Separate server types exist for a reason. From a RPer's perspective, what this merge offers is 1. an undermining of that 'idealized identity' through name changes etc; 2. a loss of control over the server and 3. a greatly increased likelihood of harassment. From that side of the fence, this proposed merge is not an appealing prospect - it's a lot of pain for not a whole lot of gain. From the other side of the fence, all of this may appear completely ridiculous and you know, you're probably right. But none of that really matters. What matters is that Bioware remember these differences when - if - they finally get round to making their decision.

Edited by craic_fox

Sorry, but no.

And who said that we, how did You put it, want the "wankers" from the RP-server with us?

Seriously, This thread is about a pro-active solution to the issue that all three servers face in out population issue. The primary idea so far is to merge all three servers into one. Now, while this solution is not idea for me, I support it becuase it offers the MAJORITY the best possible experience from Star Wars. Sure, I'm going to loose a few names, maybe even my Legacy name and Open world PvP, but you know what, I don't care. Why?

Becuase I'm not a selfish brat that only cares about Me. If you have some practial information that can help Bioware make a sound, wise and Practical decision, then please post, otherwise, go away.

Edited by Spinikar

How about we just give the RP'ers priority for their names? I can just go to that server and reserve all of my character names anyway, mine are so obscure and rare that I can almost guarantee no one else has them. FFS if it is all about a name then do something like that.

In the survey I'm conducting the trend has changed for those who like RP

Now only 60% are for a merger. With the following attitudes:

How would an APAC server merger affect your attitude towards playing SWTOR?

I would subscribe/re-subscribe to the game . . . . 15.79% . . . . 3

I would play/play more . . . . 57.89% . . . . 11

I would want to transfer to back to APAC servers. . . . . 0% . . . . 0

I would unsubscribe from/quit the game . . . . 15.79% . . . . 3

I would play less . . . . 15.79% . . . . 3

I would want to transfer off APAC servers . . . . 15.79% . . . . 3

Edited by Evgen