The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Has anyone tried gearing defense with a Pyro spec? If so any feedback?

caiibowers

Just wondering if anyone has tried gearing their PT for defense (foregoing crit/surge/etc. for defense rating/absorption/etc. and perhaps the higher endurance mods over the higher aim mods) but still spec'ing Pyro? If so does anyone have any feedback on how that's worked out? Or vice versa?

I have played around with Tank spec in DPS gear but that was before the various nerfs they did to put an end to the Tank / DPS PT.

Also I did try using a Shield Generator & Tank Aug's with DPS gear but quickly came to the conclusion that DPS > defense - kill them before they kill you.

What Djiin said and this:

Pyro tree requires that you use CGC to be effective. To activate your shield, you must use Ion Cells. While you would have more defense and armor you would never have your shield activate while using CGC. In PvP as a Pyro, damage output is your primary defense.

Edited by DacRycar

I assume you are talking about a PT using one of the dps trees. In that case, there is zero reason to beef up shield chance or absorption. You are not going to be using the right cylinder so it's just a waste. The same can not be said about defense chance however. I've used a PT Pyro with full WH augmented gear, but equipped him with WH defense relics rather than power relics. It is a viable choice. But not one many will make.

The problem is that your trade-off ratio is about 3.5/2.8, or about a 3.5% increase in defense chance vs. a loss of attack damage of about 2.8%. Approximately. Which is sort of ok. But as a ranged attacker, you should be able to finesse your environment so that you are attacking more often than you are defending. This makes the trade-off less attractive. The more interesting scenario might be in the post-1.4 world, were the ability to use ranged attacks is lessened for the PT Pyro.

• 2 weeks later...
I assume you are talking about a PT using one of the dps trees. In that case, there is zero reason to beef up shield chance or absorption. You are not going to be using the right cylinder so it's just a waste. The same can not be said about defense chance however. I've used a PT Pyro with full WH augmented gear, but equipped him with WH defense relics rather than power relics. It is a viable choice. But not one many will make.

The problem is that your trade-off ratio is about 3.5/2.8, or about a 3.5% increase in defense chance vs. a loss of attack damage of about 2.8%. Approximately. Which is sort of ok. But as a ranged attacker, you should be able to finesse your environment so that you are attacking more often than you are defending. This makes the trade-off less attractive. The more interesting scenario might be in the post-1.4 world, were the ability to use ranged attacks is lessened for the PT Pyro.

What I was thinking, especially with the latest 1.4 nerf, was that we PT's could use more defense (in whatever stat or form necessary). With the shortened distance of TD, ED and IM, definitely going to need a bit more survivability. I totally hear and understand what you're saying about shield and absorption-- i'm staying away from those. My PT is 46 currently (he'll be my 3rd 50), and i crafted some +49 defense implants (that also have crit so i'm not losing too much) and i'm going to try to swap out some crit mods for defense mods and see how it goes with my Pyro.

I also was considering respec'ing, going mostly pyro but dumping 10 pts into shield tech to get the armor and aim bonuses in the second tier. Thoughts?

I'm full-spec Shieldtech, even in PvP. Most of my gear is DPS, except:

- WH tanking implants

- WH tanking weapon

- WH tanking shield generator

- Aim augments

This nets around:

- 20k HP

- 8500 Armor

- 1200+ Expertise

- 2k Aim

- 40% shield/absorb

I'm damn hard to kill, and can still shell out 300k damage, which is pretty impressive for a tank.

Edited by TheronFett