The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Would you trade voice over for more game options?

RixoFutu

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No, I would not give up VO for any of it. I wouldn't give up VO for anything.

I don't think the guy that splices together VO content is the same guy who programs characters to sit in chairs or creates an interface for a barber shop.

So as long as EAWare wises up to their player base, we can have VOs and barber shops and role play immersion. It's not about giving one up for the other.

why is this question presented like this? would you mind losing an arm to gain a car?

why can't we have voice acting and extra options? why can't i keep my arm and have a car?

why do i have to choose one over the other?

I think this guy is asking whether you would have preferred SWTOR to be more MMO based orginally, rather than being more focused on storyline and voices etc. And you can't keep your arm because Darth Baras ate it - then felt bad and gave you a car, deal with it :p

Even so I don't think the game would have been better if it had been more like MMO's out there. I'm sure everyone here has a favourite cutscene, or line (i can certainly name a few) that they just love. Can you imagine if something like

(*WARNING - MINOR BH SPOILERS*) was reduced to a text box?

I urge everyone in favor of trading voice overs to watch that and reconsider your position - seriously you heretics

Really? Oh god. So like for dumb - obviously there was only one budget and major part of funds was used to buy VO. We have VO, but no more game options or other things which they can "bought" instead of VO.

why is this question presented like this? would you mind losing an arm to gain a car?

why can't we have voice acting and extra options? why can't i keep my arm and have a car?

why do i have to choose one over the other?

I just wanted to speak to this really quick. One of the main problems with the playerbase is you have the people kinda like the OP and the person the above poster quoted saying they spacebar everything. SWTOR has been advertised as a story-driven, fully voiced MMO from day one.

So because it's a story driven MMO I shouldn't be playing it... Okay :rolleyes: I play this game because 1) It's Star Wars 2) It's where my friends play (or played for the most part) 3) They took SWG away for this "game" so if I want a Star Wars MMO, this is what I get 4) I actually enjoy the PvP, I just wish there was more of it

To come to this game and then complain that there's too much VO is just ignorance. As you can see from this thread, the majority of people are playing TOR because of the quality of VO and cutscene work. As with everything else, a small but very vocal minority is now actively trying to make the game something it was never meant to be, thereby ruining it for the majority, who enjoy the voice work.

I honestly don't care what the majority of the thread thinks. I don't like story, bottom line. Am I going to crusade against BW to make it go away? No. But I will voice my opinion in a thread ASKING what we think :rolleyes:

I love how in an opinion based thread, if your opinion isn't the exact same as the majority or someone who has the opposite opinion you're wrong and they're right lol.

For example:

not the game for you, story is what this game's main focus is.

Why can't this game be for me? What makes YOU think I am unable to enjoy this game without story?

No. I play RPGs for the story, the voice overs and story are why I'm here. I don't spacebar through cutscenes, to me that is content and a primary part of the game's content at that. It wouldn't matter what "features" they could add without voice overs, to me it would be a shallow, worthless game because there would be no story and thus no reason for me to play.

Hell yeah! I could care less voice over, expect for the main storyline (flashpoints & operations as well). Most of the voice over work is done for boring side quests and it just becomes tedious after a while listening to dialog you don't care about. Also, I think all of the voice over work for side quests detracts away from the main story line experience. Personally I think Bioware should go through the game and disable all voice over work for side quests (not sure about planetary plot lines) and from here on out reserve it for class story lines, flashpoints and operations only. It would save them a ton of money too I'm sure.

Yes, I would, although I don't think it would have been necessary if BW had used a solid game engine instead of taking a game engine that wasn't even in beta testing yet and using it. I enjoyed the voice overs, they did make the game more immersive, but the game is not an MMO, largely due to the game engine's inability to support more than 20 people in an area. They should have either made an MMO, or made KOTOR 3. Instead they made something in the middle, and it's no good.

I'll take both, please.

There is no reason we can't or shouldn't get both.

Hiring voice actors that 99.999% of the playerbase has never heard of isn't the same as hiring Brad Pitt. It's cheap and easy to do. This isn't the 70's, with modern audio recording and processing gear, doing voice overs isn't a major Hollywood production.

Simple question - would you trade voice over for more game options and maybe content? Gear customizations, player's housing, guild housing and ships, usable chairs, barber shop, more crafting options.

Or is voice over so special and great experience for you?

no i wouldn't.

1. there is nothing preventing those things from coming in the future.

2. yes voice over is something special and it really adds to the experience.

Yes.

Voiceovers get boring after first playthrough and get annoying when people don't skip convos in fps.

Give us actual content, not spacebar action

Its only spacebar action if you can't be asked to listen, I'd ask you to have respect for those who don't want to spacebar away one of the most important aspects of SWTOR. I can't believe people are actually complaining about this :confused:. There a bigger problems in SWTOR than fully-voiced content, which in no galaxy far far away, is a problem.

I think we need to extrapolate the question into 2 parts.

1) would you like to have the option to skip VO if you preferred?

answer to that for me would be helluyes. I love the VO, but after 4 of the same class archetype (AC's share teh same storyline), you tend to look to the VO as an interruption in the process. But it should be voluntary...much like how you can skip intro movies in the options menu right now. so allot of people liked it the first time around, but may not be so eager the second...or fifth....so they may say "yes get rid of VO" when in reality, they enjoyed it the first time around.

2) If the only way to get meaningful content at a regular pace was to eliminate the VO, would you?

i think it's important to stipulate that. content will come, but it sounds like you feel that at this point it was one or the other (and speaking of budgets that's probably true). However, new content/QoL improvements are far easier to add then tryign to go back and add VO after the game was designed.

So for #2, if I had to pick either or...I would go with VO first, because after all, new content can and will be added, but it's pretty obvious that VO would have been nigh impossible unless it was included in the original design.

Yes.

Voiceovers get boring after first playthrough and get annoying when people don't skip convos in fps.

Give us actual content, not spacebar action

Your answer is inconsistent. you enjoyed the VO, but didn't want to have to deal with it after that. a simply toggle would solve your problem.

and since they are adding new content , the either or is pretty null. ALTHOUGH...the idea that a percentage of the budget is going to VO, and hence not other things, is a valid point. But IMO the issues with this game aren't about the VO taking needed Dev budgeet, it's about the choices they make with the leftover budget outside of the VO. a poor decision is a poor decision, no matter how much budget they throw at it.

Your answer is inconsistent. you enjoyed the VO, but didn't want to have to deal with it after that. a simply toggle would solve your problem.

and since they are adding new content , the either or is pretty null. ALTHOUGH...the idea that a percentage of the budget is going to VO, and hence not other things, is a valid point. But IMO the issues with this game aren't about the VO taking needed Dev budgeet, it's about the choices they make with the leftover budget outside of the VO. a poor decision is a poor decision, no matter how much budget they throw at it.

I didn't say that I enjoyed the VO, I said that it gets boring after first run.

It is a nice extra feature, but since the game is lacking in other departments, I'd trade a nice feature for more important stuff.

I think we need to extrapolate the question into 2 parts.

Ooooooh, fancy words :p

2) If the only way to get meaningful content at a regular pace was to eliminate the VO, would you?

i think it's important to stipulate that. content will come, but it sounds like you feel that at this point it was one or the other (and speaking of budgets that's probably true). However, new content/QoL improvements are far easier to add then tryign to go back and add VO after the game was designed.

Seriously though, now I think about it - this could be real problem. What with 1.4 on its way we might find BW have sacrificed immersive VO and storyline in exchange for quicker content release. So in that sense both sides lose, no barber shop or guild houses, and no VO or great storyline. Lets hope they manage to pull it off!

Do I want more for the game? Yes, but not at the expense of the voice-overs. I love the voice-overs, they are an integral part of this game and they are part of the reason I prefer to play this game compared to others. The voice-overs add to the overall atmosphere and they are fun to listen to. Do I sometimes skip the cutscenes? Sure, most of us do at some point but I have watched every single one at least once, usually more. I would be sad if they stopped doing them just as I don't like how AoC only has them in the beginning area.