This is me....this is honest

Sarfux

Ok. Here it goes. No, it's not a goodbye thread. I just need some help right now.

Have I lost that "mmo kick"? Have I suddenly just....gotten sick of mmos games in general? No seriously....I know I have that plan of making an mmorpg, but something....snapped all the sudden a couple weeks ago. I felt it. One week or so ago I played WoW, RIFT, GW, TOR, LoL, AION, AoC, EVE, Reqium, TERA, Eden Eternal, Pirateship Online, Fiesta, FlyFF, Runes of Magic a LOT. I'm talking...I was a very big mmo person let's keep it at that.

Then...something changed in me with it all. I sat and thought about it. Why am I still playing video games/mmorpgs? I guess it's the whole thing of making your own character connect with you. Which is why I'm in love with this game so much. But...even though I'm in love with it, I haven't been logging in that much. Which has nothing to do with this game. btw. This game is great! It has to do with me :)

Can someone explain to me why all the sudden I stopped playing all these mmos? What do you think changed in me that made me not want to play TERA, GW2, TOR, WoW, EVE, AION, AoC, LoL as I have been for years. Is it finally my time to take a break and do some other things? Or take a break from pc gaming. I just love this game too much to stop playing this occasionally though. It is BioWare, it's Star Wars, it's got the kotor feel, and I love rping with choices that effect me in my head. That's all I EVER asked for in a game. Every other game I have stopped completely, and uninstalled quite a few.

At one point I had 35 mmorpgs on my computer. I am now down to AION, TOR, WoW, TERA, RIFT and I ONLY play TOR. That's it! That's my only game I play at the moment. well..sometimes KOTOR 2, something grabs me in that game still...IDK what it is. That's my fav game of ALL time!! That's big for me. It really is. This is what I do. Generals Zero Hour go in the game..dont get past the first screen. Exit. RIFT...I go in and say "wth are you doing!?!" same goes for WoW and TERA but NOT TOR.

Have I just matured in the past year or something and it was building up in me and couple weeks ago happened to be the breaking point for the games? I don't get it...help me please. I am actually considering selling my 2 20 inch monitors on the left and right then eventually selling my gaming pc. Is this just a phase? Or am I really done with gaming overall.

I understand this is not really a subject for the game. But it kind of has to do with the game because SWTOR is my ONLY mmorpg I am playing right now and I had 35 mmos on my computer at one point. That's HUGE! Thanks for listening :)

My advice, which may or may not be right for you (yes, that is my disclaimer);

Keep your monitors and gaming machine (the price for used computer equipment is so low, there is no point in selling it IMO), but take a break from MMO's (a week to a year... whatever works for you).

Try any other hobbies for awhile. Hell, whatever suits your fancy. Computer programming, hiking, knitting, whatever.

But, from reading your posts here, I think you're a pretty nice guy. I don't always agree with you, but this is beside the point. :) So you'll do just fine in whatever you choose, just don't think about it too much. :)

Take care Sarfux and happy hunting! :)

It sounds like you are oversaturated in a genre of simliar games.

It could also be a change of interests, "maturity", or just burnout.

It is good to take a break from games. Go out, get some exercise, make some money, meet people, start a relationship (any kind, a friendship a romance etc), volunteer somewhere locally, start a business, go to college, travel.

Like Catz said, if you do choose to sell your equipment, you are likely to only receive a fraction of the money you put into the machine. So keep that in mind before you sell. If you do sell your computer, can I have your stuff? :p

"We've seen it all before." The MMO industry is suffering much like the other entertainment industries, film and TV from a major case of "We've seen it all before." I'm sure there are still a few odd films and TV shows you still enjoy but for the most part nothing is really original anymore.

The MMO genre is suffering from a similar lack of uniqueness, depth and creativity. TOR brings story content to the table but chokes on providing any real depth in the game play. Coupled with the huge number of MMOs currently available on the market and in the works.

I think most of those MMOs you've pointed out are all themeparks which more or less follow a similar theme and design. You can only find the wheel interesting so many times before it just gets boring.

My advice, which may or may not be right for you (yes, that is my disclaimer);

Keep your monitors and gaming machine (the price for used computer equipment is so low, there is no point in selling it IMO), but take a break from MMO's (a week to a year... whatever works for you).

Try any other hobbies for awhile. Hell, whatever suits your fancy. Computer programming, hiking, knitting, whatever.

But, from reading your posts here, I think you're a pretty nice guy. I don't always agree with you, but this is beside the point. :) So you'll do just fine in whatever you choose, just don't think about it too much. :)

Take care Sarfux and happy hunting! :)

Hmmm. You are correct and sometimes I actually see myself agreeing with you on some of your posts :) Thank you for taking the time out of your life to read my post. People who do things like that for me make me feel better and help me make a decision. I understand the decision is ultimately mine but you are correct on the picking up another hobby part.

I believe I just need not play so much and put mmos down for a while. It ...will be very tough for me because mmos are really where I have ever fit in, especially this game. So I don't know how that will go. Hopefully well. I am optimistic at my approach to the situation but must also realize not to do anything too rash. Maybe I will just uninstall everything except kotor 2 and TOR and LoL and just see where it goes. I have an attraction to this game though. It is easier said than done stopping all those games. But hey, I cut 35 down to 5. So I must be doing something right :)

Thanks a lot SpazCats. You are a great person in this community of TOR. No, I'm not leaving :p Gotta stay with ma baby :)

Hmmm. You are correct and sometimes I actually see myself agreeing with you on some of your posts :) Thank you for taking the time out of your life to read my post. People who do things like that for me make me feel better and help me make a decision. I understand the decision is ultimately mine but you are correct on the picking up another hobby part.

I believe I just need not play so much and put mmos down for a while. It ...will be very tough for me because mmos are really where I have ever fit in, especially this game. So I don't know how that will go. Hopefully well. I am optimistic at my approach to the situation but must also realize not to do anything too rash. Maybe I will just uninstall everything except kotor 2 and TOR and LoL and just see where it goes. I have an attraction to this game though. It is easier said than done stopping all those games. But hey, I cut 35 down to 5. So I must be doing something right :)

Thanks a lot SpazCats. You are a great person in this community of TOR. No, I'm not leaving :p Gotta stay with ma baby :)

Thanks very much for the compliment Sarfux. It means a lot. I know I can be a little outspoken about what irks me about this game, but that is because I get frustrated on how I see things going, and I want this game to go for the long haul.

Geez, maybe I need to take a break too for a bit! :)

I have found that taking long breaks helps a great deal.

WoW was my first ever MMO, and I had played it since 2007. In 2010, I started getting that tired feeling while playing. Even though I loved it, I couldn't get interested in it anymore. I ended up taking a year long break from it, and just stuck to console games for my gaming entertainment, and it was so great. I even discovered games that I had not played, mainly Dragon Age Origins, and Mass Effect.

I eventually came back to WoW, but I found that after my long break, I was able to take it or leave it when I wanted. I didn't have that "must play" feeling anymore. This new found discovery led me to try out other MMO games and that's how I found SWTOR.

Anyway, my whole point is that taking a break could be something you could use. It might invigorate you again when you do decide to come back.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do. :)

My friend, you are suffering from a classic case of burn out. Yup... it's happened to me. And after a little time away I felt refreshed and renewed.

Gaming can be addictive. It can take over your life. It's at that point that I began to have trouble enjoying it. Some moderation is very helpful and needed.

One week or so ago I played WoW, RIFT, GW, TOR, LoL, AION, AoC, EVE, Reqium, TERA, Eden Eternal, Pirateship Online, Fiesta, FlyFF, Runes of Magic a LOT.

Well... play LOTRO as a hobbit... a lazy, fishing, pie-eating, cooking hobbit :) Do the Shire quests... maybe see the LOTRO movies first, especially the first with the Shire in it... or read the books, ofcourse, especially The Hobbit and the first part of the trilogy, then play the game.

It's a MMO, but different then the others, hehe.

Ok. Here it goes. No, it's not a goodbye thread. I just need some help right now.

Have I lost that "mmo kick"? Have I suddenly just....gotten sick of mmos games in general? No seriously....I know I have that plan of making an mmorpg, but something....snapped all the sudden a couple weeks ago. I felt it. One week or so ago I played WoW, RIFT, GW, TOR, LoL, AION, AoC, EVE, Reqium, TERA, Eden Eternal, Pirateship Online, Fiesta, FlyFF, Runes of Magic a LOT. I'm talking...I was a very big mmo person let's keep it at that.

Then...something changed in me with it all. I sat and thought about it. Why am I still playing video games/mmorpgs? I guess it's the whole thing of making your own character connect with you. Which is why I'm in love with this game so much. But...even though I'm in love with it, I haven't been logging in that much. Which has nothing to do with this game. btw. This game is great! It has to do with me :)

Can someone explain to me why all the sudden I stopped playing all these mmos? What do you think changed in me that made me not want to play TERA, GW2, TOR, WoW, EVE, AION, AoC, LoL as I have been for years. Is it finally my time to take a break and do some other things? Or take a break from pc gaming. I just love this game too much to stop playing this occasionally though. It is BioWare, it's Star Wars, it's got the kotor feel, and I love rping with choices that effect me in my head. That's all I EVER asked for in a game. Every other game I have stopped completely, and uninstalled quite a few.

At one point I had 35 mmorpgs on my computer. I am now down to AION, TOR, WoW, TERA, RIFT and I ONLY play TOR. That's it! That's my only game I play at the moment. well..sometimes KOTOR 2, something grabs me in that game still...IDK what it is. That's my fav game of ALL time!! That's big for me. It really is. This is what I do. Generals Zero Hour go in the game..dont get past the first screen. Exit. RIFT...I go in and say "wth are you doing!?!" same goes for WoW and TERA but NOT TOR.

Have I just matured in the past year or something and it was building up in me and couple weeks ago happened to be the breaking point for the games? I don't get it...help me please. I am actually considering selling my 2 20 inch monitors on the left and right then eventually selling my gaming pc. Is this just a phase? Or am I really done with gaming overall.

I understand this is not really a subject for the game. But it kind of has to do with the game because SWTOR is my ONLY mmorpg I am playing right now and I had 35 mmos on my computer at one point. That's HUGE! Thanks for listening :)

I am thinking Credit is maxed out.. you cant pay the monthly subs anymore or buy the cashop purchases that gave you the enjoyment factor... suggest playing fewer, paying off your CCbill thencome back and tell us how your getting on in lfe again ;)

Geez,

REALLY? I mean WHAT have you been doing EXCEPT playing all those games? WHEN did you find enough time to play them all well, decently, so to say (decently: in a manner that you can follow the story and get some relevant experience, etc)

Despite that I really love SWTOR, I cannot find enough play time due to burning platforms at work, urgent situation at home and thousands of duties I need to do, before i have (maybe) half an hour somewhere around 23:00 to play my game?

Due to TOR i cannot play Diablo III and i barely started ME3 (good point is I missed all that "bad ending" hype)

but hey...seriously it looks like you were ONLY playing those games. Get a break and have some REAL life.

i guess...

Edited by Przemo_No
typos

Burnout, happens to the best of us, I took a break and am playing a full playthrough of SKyrim and then Fallout 3 GOTY edtion, followed by FNV Ultimate Edition, with a Mass Effect trilogy playthrough somewhere entwined, then hopefully 1.5 will be around the corner, not unsubbing, but not playing very much at all ATM either. Edited by Rayla_Felana

I have found that taking long breaks helps a great deal.

WoW was my first ever MMO, and I had played it since 2007. In 2010, I started getting that tired feeling while playing. Even though I loved it, I couldn't get interested in it anymore. I ended up taking a year long break from it, and just stuck to console games for my gaming entertainment, and it was so great. I even discovered games that I had not played, mainly Dragon Age Origins, and Mass Effect.

I eventually came back to WoW, but I found that after my long break, I was able to take it or leave it when I wanted. I didn't have that "must play" feeling anymore. This new found discovery led me to try out other MMO games and that's how I found SWTOR.

Anyway, my whole point is that taking a break could be something you could use. It might invigorate you again when you do decide to come back.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do. :)

I can relate to this :)

I played SWG from pub 9 until just before they added Hoth, so what 6-7 years off the top of mt head, then I moved to WAR for about 2.5 years. I realized one day I had played MMORPGs so exclusively I had missed out on about 10 years worth of fantastic games. I went and played them, I'm talking Oblivion, Fallout 3, Dragon Age Origins plus many others...

First of all I am glad I took the break from MMORPGs otherwise I would have missed out on some truly amazing games. Secondly the break totally cured my case of MMORPG burnout :)

Driz

Taking a break it is. I will still be on the forums though :) Can't leave this game. I just won't play though. I'll continue to play kotor 2 and mod it to the extreme yet again. But for right now, I will take a break. Thank you for the help everyone and I bid you all a great day! :) Especially you spazcats ;)

I used to go nuts when for one reason or another I couldn't log onto daoc... That mmo nearly ruined my social life heh! No mmo since has come close to what that game offered me, the community rocked. Mmos seem now to be mostly made up of solo content. The last week I've had my house decorated and haven't been able to log on swtor. Have I missed it? No. I can dip into the game if and when I want to. Mmos are not a replacement for real life. Im not surprised your burnt out with mmos for the moment but that could be a good thing socially.