The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Matt Brobmerg interview on free-to-play

vandana_

What they need to do is start releasing side attraction content that keeps people busy and entertained. The repeatable Ops/wazones etc are only good short term. It needs more mini games, customizable housing and such. Space will do wonders for this game. If anything was going to bring players back.... it would be full blown space that would rock the socks off of even SWG space expansion.

I agree completely.

I would love to see player shopfront and social zone buildings on capital worlds and Nar Shaddaa, player housing on capital worlds and Nar Shaddaa, internal and external star ship customization. Star Wars themed card games and chess games in Cantinas, Ball games and racing games. The cherry on top would be hybrid sandbox crafting. Unique looking player generated armor and weapons using templates provided by the devs. With additional costume templates thrown in by the devs during major raid and pvp updates.

Edited by Lord_of_Mu

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree completely.

I would love to see player shopfront and social zone buildings on capital worlds and Nar Shaddaa, player housing on capital worlds and Nar Shaddaa, internal and external star ship customization. Star Wars themed card games, chess games in Cantinas, Ball games and racing games. The cherry on top would be hybrid sandbox crafting. Unique looking player generated armor and weapons using templates provided by the devs. With additional costume templates thrown in by the devs during major raid and pvp updates.

Even half that list would do wonders for this game. I just wish they would add 1 thing and go from there.

I need to write this up in detail but I'd also be fine with Bioware using "Featured Series" From STO. Create a short story arc based on the threads left behind from the main story or just make it a proper short story. 5 episodes (Missions) with multiple objectives per episode that take place across the galaxy and reuse old assets form class missions and what not.

Make all of the episodes repeatable like dailies and unlock a new episode every week and add a special bonus for two weeks at the end of the series. Wait two more weeks and start up the next series. 5 or more missions of story content with mix rewards ranging from legacy unlocks to customization, medium to high grade items and maybe some fun vanity items. With a seven week cycle

Every so often have a featured series rerun event week to allow new players or people that missed out the opportunity to collect the special reward for completing the featured series.

Time gated content with just enough story and reward hooks to keep people enticed. Filler content but still better than nothing.

Edited by Lord_of_Mu

More customisation options. The current options are crap. AND MAKE THE CLOTHING LOOK MORE STAR WARS rather than the current trend... SI's look like saber wielding predators FFS, and SW look like a retarded batman... Seriously whats the deal?

I don't think he said one tangible thing in that entire interview. :eek:

The only thing was cartel coins for time subbed, which is on the website.

I've honestly been thinking about this a little. I have a feeling that Makeb will cost cartel coins which would be covered with our subs. Not sure how players would feel about that. In a way it would still be free to subscribers and require free players to spend money on coins to buy the content.

It's just a thought and not official. Please don't freak out about it just yet.

I've honestly been thinking about this a little. I have a feeling that Makeb will cost cartel coins which would be covered with our subs. Not sure how players would feel about that. In a way it would still be free to subscribers and require free players to spend money on coins to buy the content.

I`ve said it in a previous topic about this. It is free ONLY if it`s open by default to subs at that date. Cartel Coins are what they are: a bonus, or the prize for still being subbed. It`s not very nice to ask a payer to spend their bonus, or shell cash.

if they charge for Makeb, its gonna show how much of a money grab the game has turned out to be with the f2p model. If they TRULY believe people weren't able to 'afford' a 15/month sub fee, they certainly wont be able to afford the money grab that the game becomes.

that is unless makeb is some MAJOR content update. and I mean major major, not a fluff PR filled update

Edited by FourTwent

that is unless makeb is some MAJOR content update. and I mean major major, not a fluff PR filled update

Fine and dandy, but only the "freemiums" should pay for it. I, as a sub, didn`t see any content since April (and a week long "Event" with random crates, one moving droid and some mirrors doesn`t count as "content", sorry) and likely won`t see until Sept-Oct...don`t quite understand to pay for something I should have gotten by now monthly. If anything, it`s a long overdue content I feel entitled to.

Edited by Styxx

if they charge for Makeb, its gonna show how much of a money grab the game has turned out to be with the f2p model. If they TRULY believe people weren't able to 'afford' a 15/month sub fee, they certainly wont be able to afford the money grab that the game becomes.

He mentions that it should be cover able by cartel coins. I honestly wouldn't be bothered if the sum was low enough that it was covered by 2-3 months of "free" cartel coins from subbing. They probably won't use a cartel coin charge system though. I also think they're unlikely to charge at all, since Makeb is launching separate from TFB.

He mentions that it should be cover able by cartel coins. I honestly wouldn't be bothered if the sum was low enough that it was covered by 2-3 months of "free" cartel coins from subbing. They probably won't use a cartel coin charge system though. I also think they're unlikely to charge at all, since Makeb is launching separate from TFB.

I think they will charge because Bioware excels at PO its fan base. :p

Edited by Tuscad

Really folks. there's not really much of a difference between these two statements.

"The reason players can't play is the subscription fee."

"the reason players don't play is they don't think the game is worth the subscription fee.:"

They really are the same thing, in context. GW2 is sub free...do you think anyone is going to say it's not worth the sub fee? Of course not...because there IS NO SUB. But what if they added a 15$ sub? would it be worth it then? how many people would drop the game at the 15$ mark. what if they raised it to 30$? i betcha 95% of their population would leave in short order. The game was the same, only the sub fee changed.

Subs are relative. Free is not. so if many people thought the game wasn't worth the sub, how many would come back if it was free? that's the crux of the thing. you can say it wasn't worth the sub, or you can say the sub was a "barrier" in playing...it's all the same cookie. Question is...how much is the game worth to you? if 15$ is a barrier, is 10$ ? what about 5$. Free is a given...can't get cheaper then that. EA feels that its worth f2p at this point. many currently playing will retain their subs. many will drop sub and go f2p. many new will come in since its free to try AND play, and many will probably come back, because that game was fun, but not worth 15 a month.

Edited by Elyx

The game needs to be F2P...its a so so at best game and trust me I wanted this game to be the best its just not nor is it going to be .

I stopped playing for 3 months in hope that when i got back it would be fun again...its not.

The daily 9000 disconnect errors alone are reason enough for those of us that get them to leave.

I know its not all the games fault when it comes to that but if you cant play it then why would you pay for it.

Crap am already out the collectors edition cash and all I got was a cool statue and a fancy box to put this game in.

Really folks. there's not really much of a difference between these two statements.

"The reason players can't play is the subscription fee."

"the reason players don't play is they don't think the game is worth the subscription fee.:"

They really are the same thing, in context. GW2 is sub free...do you think anyone is going to say it's not worth the sub fee? Of course not...because there IS NO SUB. But what if they added a 15$ sub? would it be worth it then? how many people would drop the game at the 15$ mark. what if they raised it to 30$? i betcha 95% of their population would leave in short order. The game was the same, only the sub fee changed.

Subs are relative. Free is not. so if many people thought the game wasn't worth the sub, how many would come back if it was free? that's the crux of the thing. you can say it wasn't worth the sub, or you can say the sub was a "barrier" in playing...it's all the same cookie. Question is...how much is the game worth to you? if 15$ is a barrier, is 10$ ? what about 5$. Free is a given...can't get cheaper then that. EA feels that its worth f2p at this point. many currently playing will retain their subs. many will drop sub and go f2p. many new will come in since its free to try AND play, and many will probably come back, because that game was fun, but not worth 15 a month.

They are not the same thing in context.

Players dont play because they cant afford the sub fee

Players dont play because they dont feel the game is worth the sub fee.

Completely different statements.

1. "The reason players can't play is the subscription fee."

2. "the reason players don't play is they don't think the game is worth the subscription fee.:"

3. They really are the same thing, in context. GW2 is sub free...do you think anyone is going to say it's not worth the sub fee? Of course not...because there IS NO SUB.

1. "I don`t have 15$ to pay the sub"

2. "I don`t want to have 15$ to pay the sub"

3. I really don`t care, because I didn`t get it to begin with.. and one of the reasons is the lack of a sub. So, as long as it`s not worth a sub fee, is not worth the initial cost price either, for me. Because it`s not worth it as a whole.

To be honest, if this game would launch now, with a F2P model.. I won`t touch it.

Edited by Styxx