How much Crit is too little in PVP

Kaane

I have been stacking surge power and have 635 ranged bonus damage. Problem is my crit is down to 28% tech buffed. I can still get a bit more surge power enhancements, but that will gimp my crit even more. All you min maxing people that tried different combos, is crit that low not counter productive? I know my sustained damage is higher, but during close games where you die a lot bit having that higher crit must hurt my dps a little.

What is everyone stacking crit wise? Has anyone seen decrease in performance below a certain threshold?

Edited by Kaane

Overall damage will be higher with power over crit. That I know. I have no issues doing 700K dmg right now with a competent group, but with lower crit I think my burst is suffering and when I am puging and dying a lot I am thinking the extra crit would be a difference between me killing someone or being killed.

Anyone seen any difference from going from 20% unbuffed crit to 30%?

I'm playing around with 4/6/31 build and am sitting at about 34% ranged 41% tech crit chance and will be 580 bonus ranged damage when I'm done with my gear in 2 purchases. I'm going crit route because I just feel that since we already flip coins with procs and RS/HiB crits I might as well push the chance I get the good side of the coin if that makes any sense. I personally couldn't care less about numbers at the end of the game as long as my nuke target dies and giving my elemental attacks 47% crit chance and RS/HiB 49% I think it helps more then high power builds.

I feel power is being overrated (not saying it's bad), it's like madness sorcs, they do a lot of overall damage, but they rarely can burst anyone with a healer down. The thing to remember with high total damage is that the healers on the other side can keep up with that damage. Edited by anwg

A good crit chance range to shoot for is 25-30%, so you're sitting pretty. Most of our attacks are tech damage, and you're always going to have a higher tech crit % anyway. Factor in the huge crit % bonus from Explosive Fuel, and crit % becomes even less important for a DPS Powertech. Surge should be in the 75-80% range, which is a bit more difficult to achieve, considering how our gear is allocated.

I feel power is being overrated (not saying it's bad), it's like madness sorcs, they do a lot of overall damage, but they rarely can burst anyone with a healer down. The thing to remember with high total damage is that the healers on the other side can keep up with that damage.

Not true. I ran a Huttball match the other day where I kept finding myself alone, and I was bursting down DPS being healed with no issues. This was all in thanks to me actively CC'ing heals while I aligned TD+RS bursts on the DPS target. Target swapping is your friend.

I have been stacking surge power and have 635 ranged bonus damage. Problem is my crit is down to 28% tech buffed. I can still get a bit more surge power enhancements, but that will gimp my crit even more. All you min maxing people that tried different combos, is crit that low not counter productive? I know my sustained damage is higher, but during close games where you die a lot bit having that higher crit must hurt my dps a little.

What is everyone stacking crit wise? Has anyone seen decrease in performance below a certain threshold?

I went from stacking Crit over Power to Power over Crit and I'm seeing far larger numbers and I feel like I crit just as often. Remember that our 4-piece Eliminator bonus give us that 15% crit bonus to RS. Also, just because you have a 43% RS crit chance, does not mean you're going to crit 1 out of every 2 attacks.

Remember: Percentages are NOT ratios or averages, though a lot of people tend to think that way, and, as a result, get hung up on stacking crit.

Edited by Sippix
Clarity

I feel power is being overrated (not saying it's bad), it's like madness sorcs, they do a lot of overall damage, but they rarely can burst anyone with a healer down. The thing to remember with high total damage is that the healers on the other side can keep up with that damage.

Isn't it a general rule of thumb to take out the healer first? ;)

I went from stacking Crit over Power to Power over Crit and I'm seeing far larger numbers and I feel like I crit just as often. Remember that our 4-piece Eliminator bonus give us that 15% crit bonus to RS. Also, just because you have a 43% RS crit chance, does not mean you're going to crit 1 out of every 2 attacks.

Remember: Percentages are NOT ratios or averages, though a lot of people tend to think that way, and, as a result, get hung up on stacking crit.

I don't mean stacking only crit, just having balanced stats with good amount of crit vs power. I am going to try picking up like 5% extra crit and see how I like it.

I don't mean stacking only crit, just having balanced stats with good amount of crit vs power. I am going to try picking up like 5% extra crit and see how I like it.

Since you're not spec'd into TD (or I'd assume so, with having 635+ Ranged Bonus Damage), I'm not sure that adding 5% extra crit would help increase your raw damage output. Your RS crit table is already shifted pretty high and the only crit table you'd really benefit from increasing would be Tech (which TD runs off of). I feel like more Power is better than crit for FB and DOTs with your spec, because you don't have the additional 9% Tech crit chance from Proto Burn Enhancers + Proto Cylinders. If you did, the extra 5% would be really nice, netting an additional 14% Tech crit chance. The main reason for wanting that 30+% Tech crit chance is to get crits on TD for the TD+RS burst.

Since you're not spec'd into TD (or I'd assume so, with having 635+ Ranged Bonus Damage), I'm not sure that adding 5% extra crit would help increase your raw damage output. Your RS crit table is already shifted pretty high and the only crit table you'd really benefit from increasing would be Tech (which TD runs off of). I feel like more Power is better than crit for FB and DOTs with your spec, because you don't have the additional 9% Tech crit chance from Proto Burn Enhancers + Proto Cylinders. If you did, the extra 5% would be really nice, netting an additional 14% Tech crit chance. The main reason for wanting that 30+% Tech crit chance is to get crits on TD for the TD+RS burst.

635 ranged dmg was using 8/8/25 spec. So I did have both Proto Burn Enhancers and Proto Cylinders. My unbuffed ranged crit was around 20%

I am trying a 4/6/31 spec right now, dropped my ranged dmg to around 600, but i picked up TD and some extra crit. Overall burst seems a bit higher but only when the crits line up. Time to Kill on average seems about the same and TD build has worse heat management.

Not true. I ran a Huttball match the other day where I kept finding myself alone, and I was bursting down DPS being healed with no issues. This was all in thanks to me actively CC'ing heals while I aligned TD+RS bursts on the DPS target. Target swapping is your friend.

Pretty much any gear configuration works against puggers.

Edited by anwg