Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Why can't bioware just add cross-server queueing?

Adelise

I don't see why we have to wait for new huge patches to get cross-server queuing, why doesn't Bioware just add cross-server queuing? This is especially needed for ranked and PVP is popping less frequently than it was a month ago, by a large amount.

I remember the first day of server merges, PVP was crazy because everyone was so excited to see who they'd go up against. Instead, always having the same people makes it boring.

Edited by Adelise

Sorry, I took my post from another thread and pasted it here, some might seem irrelevant, but this is my 2 cents on why cross-server queue should be implemented for both Pve and Pvp.

For all the people saying cross-server LFG for pvp or pve would not work simply because the class to class ratio would be the same, you are mistaken.

The simple fact as stated above is that with cross-server queue, the vast majority of players online at given times would be much higher for queue times. The ratio may be the same as people are saying for classes (ex. 2 tanks for 6 dps etc. just a hypothetical statement), but say at 11:30pm pacific time, with cross-server queue, there will be a VAST majority of players who might be online on other servers than your own.

It doesn't matter if the ratio of classes are the same, the simple aspect is that people all play at different times. That will make the game even more dense than after it was with server transfers. Ranked Pvp would be much more active as it is very hard on most servers due to the low number of people partying up with 8 individuals to do it (and I don't need a post telling me "ranked pvp is fine on my server!" I'm talking about the majority).

Pve queue times would also benefit! If you queue at midnight east coast time, you might have not found people before to queue with at that time on your own server, but with cross-server, it just opens the sea up for a ton of extra fish! These statements are all hypothetical, it could be midnight east coast time, 6am pacific time, it doesn't matter. The sea would be more open for more fish to swim in.

It's probably the way the game is architectured, the servers are standalone and cannot talk to others. See the ordeal with transfers even though it's essentially just export/import from one DB to another.

I don't see why we have to wait for new huge patches to get cross-server queuing, why doesn't Bioware just add cross-server queuing? This is especially needed for ranked and PVP is popping less frequently than it was a month ago, by a large amount.

Probably because someone at Bioware lost the magic beans that would have grown the magic bean stalks that are necessary to skip the thousands of hours of coding necessary to make cross server queues possible.

Since those magic beans are lost, there is no easy way to implement cross server queues, so you'll just have to wait for them to completely redesign their server architecture so that they can then program this functionality.

It's probably the way the game is architectured, the servers are standalone and cannot talk to others. See the ordeal with transfers even though it's essentially just export/import from one DB to another.

This. And in the games current life support mode i doubt they will spend the $ to add something that complex to the game anymore.

Bioware have answered this question themselves. Cross-server services is a last resort for them and I personally would not want to see it added to the game.

From a Q&A before the game was launched:

Q:Are waiting queues cross-server and, if so, also cross-language?

A: No. We believe that fostering rivalries and memorable encounters with recognizable players are important in building a good PvP community on a server. We suspect cross-server queuing compromises these key tenets. Additionally, systems like bolster and same faction vs same faction Warzones (like Hutball) help matches pop frequently and regularly.

That being said we will be keeping a close eye on the communities and re-examine the system as necessary.

In World of Warcraft I spent most of my time doing world pvp. Hunting people down, griefing, causing people to gang up and fight back. There is no Wpvp in SWTOR and even if there was, companions ruin it. However, I get my "needs" fulfilled by Warzones due to the simple fact that they are not cross-server. I for one hated (can't put enough acid in the word even if I tried) battlegrounds in World of Warcraft.

World of warcraft even expand their cross-server nonsense by making areas in the world cross-server. I think that sounds like an awful idea, and WoW is killing off the last thing that I could possibly like about the game. If Bioware jumps on that train then they are ruining one of the few things that makes this MMORPG stand out from others.

This. And in the games current life support mode i doubt they will spend the $ to add something that complex to the game anymore.

Assuming they haven't already begun sinking money and resources before the game went live. Remember we don't have many online players atm and our end game content is currently lacking. It's not hard to realize they saw the need for this system in the alpha with other MMO's success.

But right now with all the constant offline/online players and the f2play launch they will need all there numbers before they make a launch. Otherwise you have a huge mess of imbalanced servers where customer who decided to quit come back enmasse when the game quality improves greatly.

Probably because someone at Bioware lost the magic beans that would have grown the magic bean stalks that are necessary to skip the thousands of hours of coding necessary to make cross server queues possible.

Since those magic beans are lost, there is no easy way to implement cross server queues, so you'll just have to wait for them to completely redesign their server architecture so that they can then program this functionality.

What he means to say is: If you want to know WHY they can't do it, pick up a programming book and look at what it takes for you to create a stable system within a global network. Prepare for years in college.

It would be really nice to get an answer for the devs already. This question has been asked so many times, it is obviously of top interest. They said in the past they will add it but they also said it will be added as a last resort. There is much confusion regarding this topic and with the silent treatment we are getting, I fear they may have given up on cross server.

Can someone please answer this? We don't need dates. Just tell us, are you still trying to get cross server in the game or not?

Edited by Pahomi

It would be really nice to get an answer for the devs already. This question has been asked so many times, it is obviously of top interest. They said in the past they will add it but they also said it will be added as a last resort. There is much confusion regarding this topic and with the silent treatment we are getting, I fear they may have given up on cross server.

Can someone please answer this? We don't need dates. Just tell us, are you still trying to get cross server in the game or not?

Yeah, can we get a response from bioware? The earlier response was months ago, it's been awhile and the player base is still dropping.

Bioware have answered this question themselves. Cross-server services is a last resort for them and I personally would not want to see it added to the game.

From a Q&A before the game was launched:

In World of Warcraft I spent most of my time doing world pvp. Hunting people down, griefing, causing people to gang up and fight back. There is no Wpvp in SWTOR and even if there was, companions ruin it. However, I get my "needs" fulfilled by Warzones due to the simple fact that they are not cross-server. I for one hated (can't put enough acid in the word even if I tried) battlegrounds in World of Warcraft.

World of warcraft even expand their cross-server nonsense by making areas in the world cross-server. I think that sounds like an awful idea, and WoW is killing off the last thing that I could possibly like about the game. If Bioware jumps on that train then they are ruining one of the few things that makes this MMORPG stand out from others.

The problem is this game barely has any world PVP, they removed illum. Not only that, but they barely have any content and even Warzones are so hard to get into now on a lot of servers, even with the merger. I mean, maybe if the servers were bigger or something too.

Edited by Adelise

it wasnt in at launch.

You sure it was not implanted from official launch? I played Warhammer & RIFT within 2/3 month when they fresh launched, I think they have cross-servers stuff by that time already, which for me i though this shoudl be a "standard" feature for MMO nowaday. (I played too many MMO, maybe it was introduced after launch, even that, I am sure they have it at the very early stage)

It surprise me while SWTOR still do NOT have it after all these months. And still no solid plan for it.

Anyway, I ordered GW2 & MoP already, so I guess I might not care anymore... SWTOR was a good game, but well...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.