The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

What will happen to Star Wars when George dies

cool-dude

Not so sure about Katie taking over. Both Katie and Jett are employed at Lucasfilm to my knowledge, but George put long-time Spielberg associate Kathleen Kennedy in the driver's seat as co-chairman back in June with the intention of her taking over completely when he either retires or dies. It's actually Lucasfilm that owns the Star Wars brand, it's plastered all over the terms and conditions pages on their websites. George Lucas as a person would only have copyright on the stuff he wrote personally, unless he turned over control of them to Lucasfilm as well, which he likely did.

So, unless there's something really wacky in his will about disbanding Lucasfilm or something (and to my mind such an unusual stipulation would be easily challenged in court), as long as Star Wars keeps making them money, Lucasfilm will keep churning out new material for it.

Seriously.

Has any of his children said that they will continue Star Wars? Whats happening there?

It stops. Lucas has explicitly stated that no more films or shows will be produced after his death.

Now, back in the day, all people would have to do is wait for the copyright to expire, but Disney has been convincing the lawmakers to extend the copyright laws every few years. I think they're up to 70 years after the artist's death. That way they can still make money off Snow White, even though it should be royalty-free at this point.

It stops. Lucas has explicitly stated that no more films or shows will be produced after his death.

Now, back in the day, all people would have to do is wait for the copyright to expire, but Disney has been convincing the lawmakers to extend the copyright laws every few years. I think they're up to 70 years after the artist's death. That way they can still make money off Snow White, even though it should be royalty-free at this point.

I believe he said there will be no more POST ROTJ stuff. As there is no story after ROTJ.

But that doesnt mean games,books and, comics wont continue...right?

The Universe will be destroyed due to a cloned Force Sensitive Jar Jar Binks using his almighty powers to crush the galaxies together in a perverse reversal of the Big Bang. Supported by a terrible army of Ewoks and a formidable fleet of Jawa Spacecrawlers, all our valiant heroes could do is watch the end come in vain.

Then George Lucas will pass on. But before he does so, he will laugh. And laugh. And laugh.

Oh no worries. I'm sure there's plenty of people at Lucas Licensing determined to keep the cash flowing after he kicks the bucket.

Oh sweet.

Which also makes me raise a question.

How much would the EU(Books, Comics and, games) be affected by GL's passing/resignation? Would it really be that big, I mean how really involved is he while he is alive/in charge?

I wonder..

Oh sweet.

How much would the EU(Books, Comics and, games) be affected by GL's passing/resignation? Would it really be that big, I mean how really involved is he while he is alive/in charge?

I wonder..

I guess that they could actually start exploring Yodas species and have Wookiee Jedi, since George basically squashed anything regarding those two.

Seriously.

Has any of his children said that they will continue Star Wars? Whats happening there?

No. I think GL is going to leave the Star Wars franchise in the hands of Lucasfilm and Lucasarts. Whether that means his children are going to control it or someone else is would be completely in his hands. Remember that Lucasfilm is responsible for special effects in so many of the movies we see today, ILM, anyone? If anything, I can see Rick McCallum(if he hasn't died by then either) taking the reigns.

Oh sweet.

I wonder..

Probably not much. Lucas only provided input on major plot points. He gives authors a lot of freedom, and only provides occasional input (like the aforementioned Wookiee Jedi...which had no reasoning beyond Lucas being racist against Wookiees).

Edited by PeepsMcJuggs

Probably not much. Lucas only provided input on major plot points. He gives authors a lot of freedom, and only provides occasional input (like the aforementioned Wookiee Jedi...which had no reasoning beyond Lucas being racist against Wookiees).

I agree with George on the no Wookiee Jedi, I have a hard time imagining a Wookiee being completely calm, collected and diplomatic (A Wookiee would be intimidating). If I recall correctly Wookiees are somewhat known for their temper (Chewie was a big sweet heart).

Edited by Tuscad

I agree with George on the no Wookiee Jedi, I have a hard time imagining a Wookiee being completely calm, collected and diplomatic (A Wookiee would be intimidating). If I recall correctly Wookiees are somewhat known for their temper (Chewie was a big sweet heart).

Wookiee's aren't exactly the picture of tranquility. Jedi don't meditate about wookiee's. Yoda might have while on Dagobah, thinking about Tarrful and Chewie.

How old is George anyways?
wikipedia says that hes 68 years old right now. And before he 'becomes one with the force' he should clone a second copy of himself. thatd be awesome GL dies, but another takes his place!