How many of you play because...

PaintSticks

Both. I like Star Wars and I like interactions with people. Played EQ2 for 6 years , LOTRO from release, Aion, AoC.

I tried to log to EQ2 and LOTRO lately and it just feels outdated....

This game seem to be a perfect match for me, as I am an awful altoholic.

Edited by Evensong

I started supporting this game back in '09. I do have some history with MMOs in the past, but many could not grab my attention because I hated the whole wizardry and medieval-type stuff. I was too young at the time for SWG and had a PC that couldn't even handle games so in '09, I was older, surfing the internet tons and got redirected to SWTOR. I'm also a huge Star Wars fan!

At first I loved it, but now this game has become a huge disappointment in my eyes. One reason being is because you don't see a lot of the "Star Warsy"-type stuff like you see in Battlefront II, the movies and TV shows. :(

Edited by HomicidalWhales

If that's the only two options than it's more because it's a star wars game then because it's an MMORPG.

But the MMORPG gameplay is fun to me, so MMORPGs is what I play the most.

And I play this because it's NOT fantasy, this is the big one. The market is oversaturated with fantasy games

to the point where I'm sick of them.

And as far as science fiction goes, Star Wars is still a lot of classic fantasy elements, so it's not even that clear...

I mean swords and sorcery? Check and check... ;)

But there's also blasters and jetpacks and starships and droids and the list goes on.

And I also play this because I'm a huge Bioware RPG fan. Bought and played them all.

And yes, if this were a non-star wars science fiction Bioware MMORPG, I'd still gladly play it.

So long story short, between MMORPG and Star Wars it's more the Star Wars side.

But if you take all the other factors in, then, for me, Star Wars is the least important factor in the equation.

If that makes any sense at all. :rolleyes:

No one plays an MMO just because it's an MMO. There has to be something that draws you to it other than "You can play online without other people".

Not sure about that. There seem to be a lot of people out there who have played just about every MMO out there. That seems more like people being drawn to the MMO genre than anything else.

It's a Star Wars MMO. I like games, but given my pick of fictional setting, the Galaxy Far, Far Away is near the top of my list. I think the game does the setting justice. I have no expectations or desire for it to be SWG or KOTOR 3, as I have never played either (most of the OMG! REVAN!!!1! content is lost on me. :p).

I like this game. It has some issues to address, but I can also remember what WoW was like in the early days (Captain Placeholder, anyone?) and am willing to cut it a few years of slack on that account alone.

I play soley because it is Star Wars and the fact that this is the closest I can get to a Kotor 3. I feel that this game would be long dead and not able to stand on its own if it wasn't backed by the Star Wars I.P.

this is also my answer.

Well I love MMORPG'S and i played many, i quit them all be cause i suppose that i am really burned out on the whole High fantasy genre.

I played the old KOTOR games when they originally released and fell in love with them. I have been waiting along time for SWTOR to come out and for the longest time it seemed like this game would never release with how long it took to make it.

I guess to sum it up OP i play SWTOR because its a continuation of KOTOR but because its an MMO and speaks to me in the way i like, Its fun, I like BW products, and i have faith in this game.

I will stay with this game because Its the type of Genre that i love which is science fiction, and i enjoy the fantasy. I highly doubt that any other MMO out there will take my sub because of the pre for mentioned. There is so much room for story in this game that i highly doubt that they could ever find an end to it.

There has been alot of people complaining in the forums about the game but those gamers may not have stayed no matter how good it is or can be, i look forword to the future of this game and will continue to support SWTOR untill BW decides to shut it down, which i hope is not for a very very long time.

I've played other MMOs but the honest to god truth is that I'm playing because 1) it's Star Wars and 2) it's BioWare. Typical MMO stuff like PvP or raiding doesn't really entice me but luckily this game also gave me the opportunity to play into the Star Wars universe enjoying the rich storylines.

I play it because it's a Star Wars MMO.

No one plays an MMO just because it's an MMO. There has to be something that draws you to it other than "You can play online without other people".

Ive read a lot of post that makes me think some people only do play because its an mmo. Thats what made me make this thread hehe. :p Im happy to see a lot of people are playing because of KotOR, which is my main reason too. :)

Combination of factors, first was simply that I do enjoy an MMO atmosphere nowadays. When playing a single player game I miss the interaction that comes even if its just the occasional random guild chat conversation.

Next is that I do enjoy the Star Wars IP. It wasn't the "IP I've been waiting for" by by any means, but certainly one I do very much enjoy.

Also while there are obviously flaws, I find there are certain elements that are still compelling enough to keep me contentedly in it. I think the class designs/mechanics were extremely well done (first time I've ever had an interest in eventually leveling every single one instead of a main and 2-3 alts total). The storyline aspect is very enjoyable, and I look forward to seeing to completion the three I have left. I like the companion system and how that was designed (although one wishes it served a bit more purpose/value at 50).

FInally is the fact that I was ready for a bit of a different set dressing then the sword'n'sorcery type of MMO. After playing WoW and Lotro as my first two MMO's I was ready for something a bit different, likewise November shows me enough that I decide to move on it'll be to try something further from the traditional vibe like The Secret World or such.

Edited by paul_preib

I'm a huge Star Wars fan and have been enjoying MMOs for a long time, so I started playing because it was a Star Wars MMO (and SWG was dead).

I'm still around only because I love Star Wars. The MMO part of this game is weak and WAY too much like that "other" MMO, which I despise.

I disagree. That's the only thing that can really hold my attention with an MMO - if I don't like the community, I don't stay. There hasn't been an MMO yet that has been able to appeal to me if its community is trash.

I play soley because it is Star Wars and the fact that this is the closest I can get to a Kotor 3. I feel that this game would be long dead and not able to stand on its own if it wasn't backed by the Star Wars I.P.

^ There's my answer, neatly said by Tuscad. Nothing else to add; ditto.

I suppose it that makes me no one. As the sole reason I play this game, is because it's an MMO.

The theme doesn't matter to me, for all I care it could have been about midgegts in the tropics living in two tribes which have been in eternal conflict with each other, and to make matters worse sea creatures are now attempting to invade their home. With Cthulhu as overlord of the sea creatures he's the first major raid boss.

So well yeh, to me it's purely and solely the fact of it being an MMO that I play.