The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

No content to counter GW2 launch?

Xemini

•  
  • I got quickly tired of the gear grind here, GW2 doesnt have that, it's pure skill. For this reason, I doubt I would come back. Unless they make some drastic changes. I'm not saying have it handed to me, but cut down in time would be nice.
  • They would have to remove all of the CC in this game. Every class doesnt need a hard stun. But they should have learned this back in Warhammer, this mentality will likely continue.
  • They would have to optimize the engine to the point were massive 100 vs 100 battles are a reality, not a dream. And, well they probably wont do that either
  • They would have to double the amount of planets to level on. Running the same content I've already done before, minus 10-15% which is story. The other 85-90%, I've been there, done that, watch the cutscene, got the gear. But they just cut their staff, they're trying to save money. I dont see them spending a few million more to do voice overs to do that...
  • They would have to add some more customization. More armors, even those that were supposedly in beta. Or give us a outfit tab. Or dyes... This they could possibly do.
  • Better class balance. Right now, I would rather stick with Deception spec for PvP, it's my kind of playstyle, but it's definitely not wanted in ranked.

Covers most of the main flaws well. Good post :)

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just wondering why there has not been any announcements or plans for some content to counter the GW2 launch? Even "the other MMO" is releasing a patch with features from their upcoming expansion in it on the day that GW2 launches, yet here we are a week out and nothing is being said about anything coming up. I have talked to some people and they seem to think that there will be some sort of patch with content before next week, but to me that doesn't make any sense.. why not say whats coming out to keep people from buying the competition's game and stay here?

To be honest, I am quite disappointed in the team that is developing this game. The game is great (although some things need to be fixed, and ARE being fixed at a snail's pace), and it has so much potential but they seem to be taking their sweet time with releasing improvements to the overall game.. not just content but quality of life improvements as well. And after watching some videos from interviews from GamesCom it irritates the hell out of me that it SOUNDS like they are planning to spread out a bunch of new features instead of including them all together. New Op next month.. then HK..then space..then WZ.

I don't think I would be sticking it out with this game if it wasn't a Star Wars game and for the people who I play with in the game. BioWare all I'm asking is to show you care about the game and the player base/fans and not doing anything at the launch of another MMO that has been talked about way too much isnt showing that you care at all.. eventually even die hard fans like myself are going to have a hard time convincing themselves to stick around just for the sake of it being a SW game.

Sorry for the long rant.. i really only wanted to ask about why there was no content but lack of sleep and utter disappointment from the event from last week and the lack of anything meaningful (except the GF fix) in the patch for today just has me a bit more perturbed than usual today.

How do you know that all this new stuff won't be out in Sept? That counters GW2 stuff. Just like WoW's expansion isn't coming out till Sept either.

At first I was a bit puzzled about the lack of updates, though as others have mentioned, people who want to try GW2 are going to try it regardless of what kind of updates Bioware puts out. They could probably release Makeb, HK-51, and 2 new Warzones on Friday and people would still go play GW2!

But, I do kind of hope that they will add something new and sufficiently shiny a little while after GW2 launches to entice people who may have been on the fence about TOR to come back. This sort of reminds me of when Diablo 3 came out: most of my (small) guild stopped playing TOR to play that instead, and I noticed a decline in the server population as well (people even commented on it on the fleet, it was very noticeable). Unfortunately, most of the people in my guild just didn't come back, and the server population didn't go back up. However, I would certainly not attribute this solely to the release of D3, as that isn't even an MMO!

I guess what I'm saying is that if people that are on the fence about the game spend enough time away from TOR -- even if they end up finishing/dropping what they originally left for -- some of them might not miss it enough to come back without a reminder or a lure. So a little something to entice them back and remind them why they liked playing TOR would be a good idea. Perhaps we will see 1.4 on the PTS soon, with more of interest than just one Operation? *crosses fingers*

Edited by Gwena

#1. We just had an event to remind subscribers of their commitments to this game.

#2. First rule of business is to avoid acknowledging the existence of your competitors, especially if you are in a more dominant position (currently SWTOR has the second largest subscription base of MMOs, even with all the bad news of late).

#3. BW is probably aware that many people will try GW2 and there isn't much they can do to stop it. I'd be aiming for an event and major content updates in about a month or two months to re-entice subscribers who may have begun to sour on their experiences.

- Arcada

Yeah, good try there. Rift has got this game beat when it comes to subscriptions, and just about everything else now that I mention it.

Covers most of the main flaws well. Good post :)

Thank you. :) I know sometimes I bash the game, but it's not just to bash it, I have my reasons. I want to say the one thing that would bring me back above all else, would have to be that EA dies. But then again I'm not so sure I could blame everything on them. I dont think they have any thing to do with all of the bugs in the game. Actually let me add that... >.>

Ah GW2 the game that will be delivered to all by unicorns

In fact here comes a unicorn now i bet it has GW2

OH GOD NOT THERE YOU STUPID UNICORN THAT'S MY NEW RUG

OH GOD it smells horrible what in the world do unicorns eat? wait a minute ITS GUILD WARS 2! The unicorn delivered!

Ah GW2 the game that will be delivered to all by unicorns

In fact here comes a unicorn now i bet it has GW2

OH GOD NOT THERE YOU STUPID UNICORN THAT'S MY NEW RUG

OH GOD it smells horrible what in the world do unicorns eat? wait a minute ITS GUILD WARS 2! The unicorn delivered!

And a year ago, many haters said the same thing. Only at that time, it was SW:TOR the unicorn delivered.

But you made me laugh nonetheless. :D

Edited by Katsuragisama