Character Slots

PurpleJediChick

Hi

Would it be possible to have more character slots...

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=520367

Third post down.

We have announced that players will be able to have more than 8 characters on a server in the future (especially for Legacy purposes), but we haven't shared any more details quite yet. Hopefully we will be able to bring you more details in the near future!

The problem with this:

We have announced that players will be able to have more than 8 characters on a server in the future (especially for Legacy purposes), but we haven't shared any more details quite yet. Hopefully we will be able to bring you more details in the near future!

Is that it's a platitude. It's conveys about as much as "Soon" only with the bumbling inefficiency of customer relations speak.

We have a wave of enforced character transfers looming for later summer/early fall and the servers our active characters have been herded onto, for many players, have no room left. An ideal time to add extra slots or provide the option for a reasonable fee. It's hardly a "rewrite the MMO rulebook" feature that their competitors will rush to copy. So why the secrecy?

The only reason I can see for them holding off on telling us about something the majority of well established MMOs already have is to avoid embarrasment either due to incompetence (they've claimed to listen to the clamour but simply not bothered and it's been left on a whiteboard somewhere) or greed (wait for it to appear as a grossly overpriced microtransaction when FtP arrives).

The problem with this:

Is that it's a platitude. It's conveys about as much as "Soon" only with the bumbling inefficiency of customer relations speak.

We have a wave of enforced character transfers looming for later summer/early fall and the servers our active characters have been herded onto, for many players, have no room left. An ideal time to add extra slots or provide the option for a reasonable fee. It's hardly a "rewrite the MMO rulebook" feature that their competitors will rush to copy. So why the secrecy?

The only reason I can see for them holding off on telling us about something the majority of well established MMOs already have is to avoid embarrasment either due to incompetence (they've claimed to listen to the clamour but simply not bothered and it's been left on a whiteboard somewhere) or greed (wait for it to appear as a grossly overpriced microtransaction when FtP arrives).

So, even though you get the answer you hoped for, you're still going to turn it around and make it into a negative.

I've said it before and I'll say it again; The real reason that this game is failing is because of the community who play it.

Edited by Catch_TwentyTwo

The problem with this:

Its just about september, and we have heard nothing, so i doubt the late summer thing will be met.

I am pretty sure you will have to wait until the store arrives before we get server transfers, its possible that we will have to pay to move extra characters off dead servers, they did tell us in advance that the servers will close. Now if you did not move off a dead server and you dont pay the 20 dollars at the store, come January your character will be deleted.

Not an impossible situation.

So, even though you get the answer you hoped for, you're still going to turn it around and make it into a negative.

I've said it before and I'll say it again; The real reason that this game is failing is because of the community who play it.

I'm glad some people see the problem the way it is.

I do wonder why the forums are filled with hate and fail-remarks towards Bioware, while the players I meet ingame are all positive and enjoying the game. I guess (as someone mentioned before) the forum qq'ers are just a tiny percentage of the players. (no disrespect meant)

anyways , on topic, only time will reveal the upcomming changes, and seeing there's a Dev post saying we will probably get it (with more info in the future), I'm just going to wait for official news.

No, because it's not the answer I'd hoped for, to be honest it's not an answer at all. That is the problem, I wouldn't mind if there was a little more transparency, for example:

"Extra Character slots are a facility we are working on, because of our current priority schedule we don't expect it to be ready until after (update version number/already announced feature) goes live."

Instead thy play their cards so close to their chest that we end up getting suspicious that the insinuated straight flush is actually little better than single pair and we're getting strung along for cake tomorrow.

It works both ways, treat us like fungi and some of us will start to kick up a stink.

I actually like this game, I'm not ranting for kicks or out of some expectation that everything should be fixed yesterday to my own personal satisfaction. What I'm disappointed with is the way Bioware mishandle their customer communications by swamping us with platitudes and vaguaries. A quick trip to the City of Heroes boards should give them an idea of where they should be on communication.