Threat Management

PaxFelix

Yesterday, four of us undertook an Heroic on Taris: JK Guardian Tank, Smuggler, JC, and me as Gunnery Commando. At the time, I was level 19 while the others were 20 or 21.

I was getting an insane amount of aggro, even after waiting a bit for the JK Guardian to start the fight. As soon as I took a shot, here came those 7.2K Rakghouls.

Perhaps starting with Mortar Volley was my error. Still, it seemed to happen without that as well.

Advice at this point in the game?

I really don't want to roll a Vanguard. I'm liking my commando's gameplay otherwise.

I've noticed this as well. For now, try to throttle your output. I know that it is more fun to use abilities as they come off cooldown and try to do max damage, but clearly we do not have enough of a threat reduction to avoid pulling off a tank. Perhaps Bioware will bake something in, or provide us a threat dump in the future... but for now, I've been holding back at times, especially at the start of a fight.

Perhaps starting with Mortar Volley was my error. Still, it seemed to happen without that as well.

Probably this.

I don't think guardians get an AOE taunt till level 30 or so. Using a high damage AOE is probably going to cause problems.

A friend of mine is playing Guardian and he mentioned that he doesn't have many AOE abilities at all for tanking. (at level 28)

So as you already mentioned, Mortar Volley will pull everything because your tank simply can't get enough threat on everything at the start.

Just go for single target DPS and go easy at the start. Make sure you are attacking the tanks main target.

If unsure, ask in party chat in which order the group wants to kill the targets so you are attacking the target that has the most threat towards your tank.

You open up with MV and wonder why you are pulling aggro? At that level your tank doesn't have an aoe taunt. Gotta reign it in unless your tank is a boss. The Guard i run with has no issues with holding aggro, but we are in our 30s. Tanks have a rough time with it till 30, stick with it and it will get much better.

You open up with MV and wonder why you are pulling aggro? At that level your tank doesn't have an aoe taunt. Gotta reign it in unless your tank is a boss. The Guard i run with has no issues with holding aggro, but we are in our 30s. Tanks have a rough time with it till 30, stick with it and it will get much better.

Am laughing.

Not exactly wondering why, really. OP was request for management suggestions, not explanations.

Besides, in other MMO's, AoE abilities typically have damage numbers that are so much lower than single target hits that they do not generate much threat. Therefore, it was not immediately obvious that such would be the case here.

E.g., I never had AoE threat challenges as a Fire or Arcane Mage, or in the occasional use of Fan of Knives as a Rogue, in that other game.

So it requires some attention in SWTOR --

Okay. Roger that. Got it.

My answer is reduce Trooper DPS during mid levels, and wait for Tanks to catch up by end-game.

Edited by PaxFelix