Suggestion: Loot roll for companions

theStirge

It would be nice(and potentially save a lot of hurt feelings) if another option were added to the loot roll window: Need for Companion. This would have less priority than straight Need, obviously, but more than Greed.

It also would be absolutely fantastic if you could lock Need rolls to those who can actually equip the item. I have had at least 3 lightsabers stolen from me in flashpoints by smugglers. No other Jedi in the party at all; that is my lightsaber. Smuggler rolls Need and wins. Smugs don't even have companions who can wield lightsabers or, as far as I am aware, who use Strength gear at all(maybe Bowdaar? But not during Esseles levels they don't). So, not rolling for the shell, like a consular might do if they're inconsiderate. I guess it's conceivable they had crafting skills that would let them rip the mods and RE them for schematics, but if you roll Need for that purpose against someone who can equip it main spec, especially without even asking, you are a jerk.

Rant off my chest, mistakes do happen. I have accidentally rolled on Will sabers on my Sentinel, because there were no other Jedi so any saber drop must be Strength, right? And at least I can use those mods for Kira and no one else in the party could use them. But I felt bad, and what if I had accidentally stolen it from a consular for whom it would have been an upgrade? Anyway, it would be nice if there were a grace period where drops in flashpoints and operations could be traded between people who were present when they dropped.

TL;DR - New loot roll option Need for Companion, lock Need rolls to characters that can equip the item themselves(be nice if that also took main stats into account to prevent i.e. Sentinels rolling Need on Will sabers, while still allowing them to roll Need for Companion), and allow BoP instance drops to be traded between characters present when the item dropped.

This is a nice idea, one I agree should be put in place.

Another thing we need is to allow only green on things like Biometric Crystal Alloys. Absolutely no reason to roll Need on those and yet some yahoo does it all the time. There should be one choice only for them.

Greed is the need for companions.

Yes, but... You always seem to run into someone who, after everyone else rolls greed, will pipe up, "Can I need for a companion?" Almost always someone will respond with "idc" or "sure" and it's really not that big of an issue, but ya know, that's really not fair to the others who may have a companion who can use it. And saying up "Just greed" sounds mean. Or they'll hit need after the first affirmative response.

Greed is the need for companions.

Except that it's not that I want it for greed purposes. I am going to use it, just on my companion instead of on my actual character. If I want to gear up my companions but I have to roll Greed, it might go to someone who can't equip it to themselves or their companions and is just going to sell it to a vendor, and since the best drops are BoP, I can't even offer the person who wins the vendor value of the item for them to give it to me.

How about this; Need can be chosen only for items that can be useful to your class. Need for companion is items that can be useful for a single companion, one chosen once joining the group and which cannot be changed.

What? No, why would you institute such a restriction? Need only for items useful to your class, absolutely, but why restrict Need for Companion to one companion? People who do need the stuff for themselves would still automatically beat anyone rolling NfC, and if multiple people want it for their companions, well, fairly often multiple people want stuff main spec, too, and they take their chances. Your suggested change only seems to benefit people rolling Greed purely for the credits, and if that is your purpose may I politely suggest that there are far better ways to earn credits than loot drops in flashpoints.

On a tangential note, it would be nice to have the option to add your companion to the item comparison tooltip whether you have them summoned or not. There's been more than a couple times where I've asked to roll Need for a companion and then the item turned out not to be an upgrade; I wouldn't have asked to Need it if I'd known.

Honestly, I think people would just use the roll for companions instead of the usual greed rolling all the time to ensure their kick at some loot. We already have Need, disassemble, greed and pass. I would like to see some restrictions on need rolling for gear that isn't meant for your class, though. Edited by ProsaicProse

Honestly, I think people would just use the roll for companions instead of the usual greed rolling all the time to ensure their kick at some loot. We already have Need, disassemble, greed and pass. I would like to see some restrictions on need rolling for gear that isn't meant for your class, though.

if you mean for bind on pick up class items i agree but anything else then no

conclusion no need for a bind on pick up item that is not your class :D .. as said we have greed and disassemble to

The easiest way to get around that,especially in endgame ops.Set loot to Master Loot.Make sure to put out before the rules on howto roll so if you have someone not familiar with it will know how to roll. Also when my guild rolls for loot, we use separate stages of rolling. We roll /roll for need, /roll 101-200 for off spec and /roll 201-300 for companion need. What it does is eliminate to random person needing on loot that they just want to sell and say its comps.

• 4 weeks later...

It wouldn't change anything. People would just 'need' instead. I despise the companions but accept that they won't be gotten rid of. They only other way to fix this problem is to take away companion loot. It's a cumbersome, annoying system anyway. Let them have appearence customization gear, maybe add an item which changes their growth patterns, take away the armour slots and weapons, replace them with scaling, companion only item slots.

If we have to suffer these hateful drones, they at least shouldn't drag down the rest of the game by ruining team loot rolls.