Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Resolve Needs To Be Redesigned

LibertySol

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not true. Defense guardians and the imp counterpart can spec to have 2 hard stuns. Not that they're going to be killing you during those 6 seconds... But there's probably other combos out there too.

Powertech has two stuns, as well as engineering sniper.

I love these people who state false information like it's fact.

Whew! I can smell the fail from here.

What you both seem to fail to understand is that when a critical component of a system needs to be heavily explained that is bad design.

I (and probably many others) disagree with the claim above. The rules of chess, Go and bridge need to be explained. These are all fine games.

I play lots of PvP. If we accept the premise that having CC in PvP is good (not everyone agrees about this), the resolve system does a great job of making the game interesting.

YOU ARE SUPPOSE TO DIE A LOT in PvP WZ. That said, a huge part of the game is tactical use of long cooldown abilities including but not limited to CC break. Often the best choice is to die now and save your CDs for later. Ditto for your CCs. Is your team capping / settting a bomb? If not, and you burn your CCs to kill an opponent, your team may fail to cap because your CCs are on CD.

I suspect the problem is OP is getting curb stomped by players who are either better geared or more skilled (especially as a team) or both. When I am in a meh PUG going against a good team, I repeatedly die really fast, even on my guardian tank. This is not the fault of a bad CC/resolve system. It is the fault of bad match making.

--

In a match between 2 skilled teams (e.g. competent rated), they DO NOT pop their CCs immediately after they come off of cooldown simply to burn an opponent down. They chose their spots carefully.

If the match is not competitive (i.e. one team guaranteed to curb stomp the other) then the strong team can eat a sandwich, surf the internet all while popping their CCs immediately as they burn you down. I.e. they can make bad tactical decisions because they know their gear and basic skills are so superior to yours that tactics does not matter.

Even in a competitive match between bads, if your getting frequently chain-stunned-killed yet your team wins then improper use of CCs contributed to the other team losing. While they were busy griefing you, your teammates were winning objectives.

Edited by funkiestj

The concept of the Resolve Bar is great, but Bioware's design/implementation is poor and kludgy for these reasons:

1. When the Resolve Bar is full, more often than not, you are actually under the effects of the CC that filled the bar rather than IMMEDIATELY FREE OF AND IMMUNE TO CC.

2. The Resolve Bar doesn't actually reflect your total resolve when full (you may have more resolve than the bar shows). The kludgy design of over fill is because the last CC which 'filled' the bar is actually applied (a bad design which favors the attacker), so it must be factored in the time it takes for resolve to fade.

3. Root doesn't contribute even a small amount of resolve (and there is no resolve immunity to it) even though being rooted is the cause of death almost as often as stun (especially in Huttball with its traps). Complete loss of movement is a form of loss of control, and thus root is CC no matter what Bioware may think.

With only a few changes (and adjusting resolve immunity duration as needed), the Resolve Bar could be made simpler and predictable, and would no longer need the countless posts either explaining how it works or defending its current implementation (not a trait of an elegant system).

The concept of the Resolve Bar is great, but Bioware's design/implementation is poor and kludgy for these reasons:

1. When the Resolve Bar is full, more often than not, you are actually under the effects of the CC that filled the bar rather than IMMEDIATELY FREE OF AND IMMUNE TO CC.

2. The Resolve Bar doesn't actually reflect your total resolve when full (you may have more resolve than the bar shows). The kludgy design of over fill is because the last CC which 'filled' the bar is actually applied (a bad design which favors the attacker), so it must be factored in the time it takes for resolve to fade.

3. Root doesn't contribute even a small amount of resolve (and there is no resolve immunity to it) even though being rooted is the cause of death almost as often as stun (especially in Huttball with its traps). Complete loss of movement is a form of loss of control, and thus root is CC no matter what Bioware may think.

With only a few changes (and adjusting resolve immunity duration as needed), the Resolve Bar could be made simpler and predictable, and would no longer need the countless posts either explaining how it works or defending its current implementation (not a trait of an elegant system).

Making up words like kludgy doesn't lend any strength to your opinion. Everything you stated is working as intended and is part of the design. If you don't like it, that's fine, but it's working perfectly as designed and there are lots of people who have no problem with it.

Specifically about the last cc applied filling your resolve, obviously it applies or you could just CC break the first stun and ignore the second stun because it fills resolve and therefore not be CC'd at all. Being able to just ignore 2 players' stuns would be beyond stupid and imbalanced.

I (and probably many others) disagree with the claim above. The rules of chess, Go and bridge need to be explained. These are all fine games.

I play lots of PvP. If we accept the premise that having CC in PvP is good (not everyone agrees about this), the resolve system does a great job of making the game interesting.

The only way the resolve system makes the game fun and interesting is if the players spend some significant portion of their time at max resolve. Over the last thousand warzones or so I've played its been fairly rare to be in that state. Why? Because resolve wears down very quickly.

So if you are at full resolve it usually means you were chain stunned which means you were focused (by at least two people) which means unless you were guarded/healed, the attacker's DPS was awful or you're a tank - you're probably dead.

As for being rarely stunned - I have no idea what you're talking about. If you have slingers, scoundrels or sentinels on your team then each of them can AOE mez a group of people every 30/45/60 seconds. That's not including the mini stuns from vanguards, single target mez's that most people have, OOC mez's and hard stuns. And your resolve starts ticking down very fast. So there's very little actual punishment for CC spamming unless everyone sucks on your team besides one or two people - because during a bomb cap or etc you've still got roots, knockbacks and probably at least one guy on your team has an AOE mez off cooldown (so just a matter of whether or not they're smart/aware enough to use it).

Edited by dcgregorya

When the Resolve Bar is full, more often than not, you are actually under the effects of the CC that filled the bar rather than IMMEDIATELY FREE OF AND IMMUNE TO CC.

then you need to figure out when to use your cc break don't you?

Edited by Ghostuka

The only way the resolve system makes the game fun and interesting is if the players spend some significant portion of their time at max resolve. Over the last thousand warzones or so I've played its been fairly rare to be in that state. Why? Because resolve wears down very quickly.

So if you are at full resolve it usually means you were chain stunned which means you were focused (by at least two people) which means unless you were guarded/healed, the attacker's DPS was awful or you're a tank - you're probably dead.

As for being rarely stunned - I have no idea what you're talking about. If you have slingers, scoundrels or sentinels on your team then each of them can AOE mez a group of people every 30/45/60 seconds. That's not including the mini stuns from vanguards, single target mez's that most people have, OOC mez's and hard stuns. And your resolve starts ticking down very fast. So there's very little actual punishment for CC spamming unless everyone sucks on your team besides one or two people - because during a bomb cap or etc you've still got roots, knockbacks and probably at least one guy on your team has an AOE mez off cooldown (so just a matter of whether or not they're smart/aware enough to use it).

An Operative's stunlock barely fills resolve, giving it the shortest immunity time of the whitebars and that immunity lasts 15 seconds. How is that not a significant amount of time?

Not true. Resolve stays constant until it gets full. So, there could be a long time between CCs. If you are at full resolve, it means since the spawn time you had been cced more than once. That is all it means. You attack someone, he stuns you, you kill him, the resolve you build there stays with you. After 5 min later, if you get stunned again, your resolve will still be full.

Also, there could be a mez and stun combination done by the same opponent.

So.... No. If your resolve bar is full, it does not mean anything about focus fire.

.... No it doesn't. Resolve slowly drains even when not white barred. Your misinformation doesn't help matters.

An Operative's stunlock barely fills resolve, giving it the shortest immunity time of the whitebars and that immunity lasts 15 seconds. How is that not a significant amount of time?

If my scoundrel fills your resolve and you're not off cooldown on your CC breaker, you're dead or will be very soon. My point is that 90% of the time your resolve bar is full is while you're in the respawn. Unless you have a healer on you or the enemy team is really really bad you should not be hanging out at max resolve for very long. And if the healer kept you alive, what good did the resolve bar do anyway?

Edited by dcgregorya

If my scoundrel fills your resolve and you're not off cooldown on your CC breaker, you're dead or will be very soon. My point is that 90% of the time your resolve bar is full is while you're in the respawn. Unless you have a healer on you or the enemy team is really really bad you should not be hanging out at max resolve for very long. And if the healer kept you alive, what good did the resolve bar do anyway?

So you'd rather the enemy have the ability to hard stun you for 16 seconds rather than kill you? Resolve is a solution to long stunlocks, nothing more nothing less.

EDIT: Huh, I did not know resolve drains before it is full, I thought it was remaining constant, apparently it drains 25pt/sec when it is not full.

I'm glad you know that Google is your friend, kudos =] Now teach the rest of the QQers

Making up words like kludgy doesn't lend any strength to your opinion. Everything you stated is working as intended and is part of the design. If you don't like it, that's fine, but it's working perfectly as designed and there are lots of people who have no problem with it.

Specifically about the last cc applied filling your resolve, obviously it applies or you could just CC break the first stun and ignore the second stun because it fills resolve and therefore not be CC'd at all. Being able to just ignore 2 players' stuns would be beyond stupid and imbalanced.

Kludgy has been a word used for decades by developers (such as myself) to describe 'inelegant' design or code. Look it up.

I'm agreeing with the OP of a post entitled 'Resolve Needs To Be Redesigned.' So of course I'm posting I don't like the design, but I do think it can be simply and greatly improved because the concept is great.

I should be using my CC breaker when I must break CC, such as when I'm about to die while CCed or rooted in a trap, or to prevent a cap. I shouldn't be forced to use it to possibly benefit from a poor mechanic meant to replace CC DR. Resolve immunity should supplement the CC Breaker. As it is now, you often die by saving your CC breaker in an attempt to get resolve immunity. That is a poor system.

Kludgy has been a word used for decades by developers (such as myself) to describe 'inelegant' design or code. Look it up.

I'm agreeing with the OP of a post entitled 'Resolve Needs To Be Redesigned.' So of course I'm posting I don't like the design, but I do think it can be simply and greatly improved because the concept is great.

I should be using my CC breaker when I must break CC, such as when I'm about to die while CCed or rooted in a trap, or to prevent a cap. I shouldn't be forced to use it to possibly benefit from a poor mechanic meant to replace CC DR. Resolve immunity should supplement the CC Breaker. As it is now, you often die by saving your CC breaker in an attempt to get resolve immunity. That is a poor system.

DR as in WoW? Where, as someone stated, you can be CC'd for 21 seconds even with DR? In SWTOR you can be CC'd for 16 seconds if you have no breaker, then you have about 30 seconds of immunity (I haven't done the actual calculation before posting but that seems about right).

I would take the latter, especially since the system is VISIBLE to the player by design. QQing about two hard stuns in a row and getting wailed on is a worst case scenario, but I'd love to see a CC breaker cooldown reduction, or talents that supplement it. The only CC related talents I know of are Entrenched and the buff to Guardian/Jugg Leap.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.