If there was one thing you could remove from SWTOR....

Feeblezak

PvP Stat.

I mean,come on - that's just stupid! It's tearing the PvP/PvE player base apart!

If i like to PvP - I have no reasson to go the operations...as a result i only get to play 50% of the high end content.

I'll give you guys an example - remamber Vanila WoW ? Before that stupid arena and that PvP stat they added...back then,even if you was a die-hard PvPer you had a reasson to go to raids beacuse the drops were actually usefull both in PvP AND PvE.You could enjoy both worlds...

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Star Wars is a mix of sci-fi and mystisism. What you're talking about is part of the mystisism. Lightsaber and blasters are part of sci-fi. The basis of sci-fi is that it is based upon science then you can do some fictions about it. So when you do sci-fi, you can invent things like lightsabers, spaceships, translation implants... but you have to respect basic scientifical theories. And there is something very basic : when there is light, it can't be black.

That apart, let's imagine that a black core lightsaber can technically exist... so since there is a kind of luminous mist around it, it should be all around the blade because you can see it from wherever you look at it. So when you're looking straight to the core, your sightline go through the colored luminous mist, so you should see it, masking (totally or partially) the pure blackness that there is behind. So the black-core lightsabers like the ones we see in-game (a black tube with color around) are impossible. A black-red lightsaber should appear as brown-ish core with red mist lightsaber.

Simple logic.

Star Wars is really high fantasy, not sci-fi. Jedi and Sith are purely "magic users" and nothing they do has any scientific basis in reality. Lightsabers are fantasy weapons and are completely impossible based on the laws of physics. The reason a black lighsaber is possible is the same reason a blue or red one are... magic (ie. The Force).

Anything is possible in a reality where the impossible is commonplace.

Star Wars is a mix of sci-fi and mystisism. What you're talking about is part of the mystisism. Lightsaber and blasters are part of sci-fi. The basis of sci-fi is that it is based upon science then you can do some fictions about it. So when you do sci-fi, you can invent things like lightsabers, spaceships, translation implants... but you have to respect basic scientifical theories. And there is something very basic : when there is light, it can't be black.

That apart, let's imagine that a black core lightsaber can technically exist... so since there is a kind of luminous mist around it, it should be all around the blade because you can see it from wherever you look at it. So when you're looking straight to the core, your sightline go through the colored luminous mist, so you should see it, masking (totally or partially) the pure blackness that there is behind. So the black-core lightsabers like the ones we see in-game (a black tube with color around) are impossible. A black-red lightsaber should appear as brown-ish core with red mist lightsaber.

Simple logic.

As I said before. You can't use logic in a universe that has none. The basis of science gets thrown out the window due to the fact of, as I said before, people throwing lightning out of their hands just from thought. I do get what you are saying, but our "real life" science is irrelevant and can't be the basis for things in-game. If that were the case, then the Force, ships jumping to light speed and gravity while in starships wouldn't exist.

But I'm done derailing the thread. Carry on. :D

I'll give you guys an example - remamber Vanila WoW ? Before that stupid arena and that PvP stat they added...back then,even if you was a die-hard PvPer you had a reasson to go to raids beacuse the drops were actually usefull both in PvP AND PvE.You could enjoy both worlds...

Your point is not without merit, but there is another side to your argument. I've seen many posts many times in many MMO forums with PvPers complaining bitterly that good PvP gear would have to be earned in PvE, and I've seen many PvEers get furious if good PvE gear is available only through PvP.

PvEers who hate PvP (of whom there are many) do NOT like being forced to PvP to get access to gear that helps in PvE.

PvPers who hate PvE (of whom there are many) do NOT like being forced to PvE to get access to gear that helps in PvP.

If I could remove 1 thing it would be the strange belief that a species has to look like a coloured human forme to be able to understand its point of view. I am sure a Pure Blood Sith is more alien to me than a Gran or a Kel'dor or a Mon cal.

Your point is not without merit, but there is another side to your argument. I've seen many posts many times in many MMO forums with PvPers complaining bitterly that good PvP gear would have to be earned in PvE, and I've seen many PvEers get furious if good PvE gear is available only through PvP.

PvEers who hate PvP (of whom there are many) do NOT like being forced to PvP to get access to gear that helps in PvE.

PvPers who hate PvE (of whom there are many) do NOT like being forced to PvE to get access to gear that helps in PvP.

If Expertise is removed, people could grind out their high level gear any way they wanted, including mixing pve with pvp. All Bioware has to do is make each one balanced in how much reward each gives out. Right now, people will choose one road and go down it, mostly excluding the other. If I want to fare better in pvp (warzones and contested planets on pvp server), I have to do warzones over and over and over again.

I only create low level toons on RP servers to troll them, it's quite amusing sometimes.

:D

So you're the funny looking toon that thinks he's cool that everyone makes fun of behind his back? I wondered who that was, thanks for clearing it up.

Edited by Calerxes

Sometimes I get the feeling that PvPers and PvEers wish they had seperate games, blame each other group for everything wrong with their part of the game. If you could get the same gear either PvP or PvE then it would have to take the exact same effort either way, but even if it did, each group would complain the other group was getting it too easy. Also, they don't think someone who has PvPed to top gear should get to skip PvE grind and the other way around.

I don't know how true that is, but the impression of it is more important to the devs. Expertise is probably fine as a mechanic that distinguishes PvP gear from PvE gear, but it shouldn't distinguish PvP gear from PvP gear. That is, as long as you are wearing full PvP gear, you get the full expertise bonus and the experise bonus from a tier 1 PvP piece is the same as the expertise bonus from a tier 3 PvP piece..

PVP on PVP servers only. No PvP on PvE servers.

All coding for PvP could then be tagged only to take effect on PvP servers. No more PvP bases changes affecting PvE play.

I already say Remove PvP . . .

We want to remove Expertise because it is what causes all the problems in PvP. It's more or less why PvP is so gear based. Expertise grants a whole mess of bonuses in the PvP environment, so having more Expertise gives you a ton of advantages.

What's the alternative? Simply not having Expertise. There doesn't need to be a PvP stat. Leaving the gear Expertise-less will just make the game more of a level playing field for everyone. Good gear will still be good gear, but it won't be the incredible game changer that it is now.

Ah I see, that makes sense. But would it not be nice to have PvP gear of some sort?

It would not make sense for PvPers to have to do end game PvE to be competitive in PvP. On the other hand, it would not make sense for PvP gear to be better than or equally good for PvE purposes.

One gear set to rule them all...