Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

SWTOR's Project-Management Methodology

Chicktopus

I've been wondering for a while now which project-management methodology does BioWare use for SWTOR. Is this the same method they use for their other games, or is it different? Could the ramp-up of development releases which is coming with the F2P option indicate a switch to SCRUM from something like Waterfall?

Now I'm no game developer so I don't know how the intricacies of the industry, but I am a software developer and certainly in my opinion, SCRUM would be a step in the right direction if they're not already using it. Thoughts?

I think they were used to Waterfall from their single player experience but have moved on to Sprint development, possibly SCRUM as well.

Anyway: the type of development cycle needed is so different when you are in maintenance and development mode than when you are merely in development mode, that I would not be surprised that some problems with slow development at this time are related to the company culture and experience not being ready for this change in Methodology.

Would explain the layoffs as well by the way. When people that did good work in the past seem to not be capable of working in this new methodology, it is better to lay them off and replace them than to try and re-educate them. Old Dog, new tricks etc..

Testing could help... but BioWare seems to prefer not to use the PTS most of the time and give us instead those bugs.

That's because they (through pre-pre-preparing pre-post forward planning in this space) incentivise the feedback loop cascading management system going forward through a supply based consolidation to standardise the infrastructures (whilst remembering to touch base about that offline) and to drive down operating costs whilst exploiting best-in-class technologies and practices with loop back leveraging group spend to provide robust, scalable and agile services with excellent customer experience through a holistic, cradle-to-grave approach.

And, of course, actioning an idea shower for 720-degree thinking every thursday as Bizmeth Co-opetition to mindshare the event horizon for a next genreation Knowledge Process Outsourcing paradigm shift.

Never for once forgetting the granularity of the strategic staircase.

Edited by Goretzu

Anyway: the type of development cycle needed is so different when you are in maintenance and development mode than when you are merely in development mode, that I would not be surprised that some problems with slow development at this time are related to the company culture and experience not being ready for this change in Methodology.

Would explain the layoffs as well by the way. When people that did good work in the past seem to not be capable of working in this new methodology, it is better to lay them off and replace them than to try and re-educate them. Old Dog, new tricks etc

Sounds like SCRUM is what they've switched to to me. Smaller teams, quicker release cycles. Fits with the layoffs and promise of shorter release cycles. At my company we're developing new content at the same time as fixing bugs in the current and two older versions of our system and we're using SCRUM. Hell, at the minute I'm working on an enhancement and looking at our Radiator I can see several bug-fix/testing stories lined up for this Sprint.

I've been wondering for a while now which project-management methodology does BioWare use for SWTOR. Is this the same method they use for their other games, or is it different? Could the ramp-up of development releases which is coming with the F2P option indicate a switch to SCRUM from something like Waterfall?

Now I'm no game developer so I don't know how the intricacies of the industry, but I am a software developer and certainly in my opinion, SCRUM would be a step in the right direction if they're not already using it. Thoughts?

Waterfall is dead...long live Agile development...errr or something like that :)

Driz

That's because they (through pre-pre-preparing pre-post forward planning in this space) incentivise the feedback loop cascading management system going forward through a supply based consolidation to standardise the infrastructures (whilst remembering to touch base about that offline) and to drive down operating costs whilst exploiting best-in-class technologies and practices with loop back leveraging group spend to provide robust, scalable and agile services with excellent customer experience through a holistic, cradle-to-grave approach.

And, of course, actioning an idea shower for 720-degree thinking every thursday as Bizmeth Co-opetition to mindshare the event horizon for a next genreation Knowledge Process Outsourcing paradigm shift.

Never for once forgetting the granularity of the strategic staircase.

Finally something i can wholeheartedly agree.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.