The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

M1-4X is crap!

iamkeithmason

I'm currently level 29 and been trying to alternate up my companions to see what works best.

Elara Dorne is my current fave at the moment but I love the look and feel of M1-4X but I don't know, I almost seem to perform worse when playing with him as my active companion than without! He goes down way too quickly and doesn't really seem to do too much damage wise. I get the idea he's meant to be some sort of tank but he's crap. I imagine as a Vanguard and being a tank anyway he isn't massively complementary.. and maybe a Commando would do better with him.

What do you guys think? Do any of you use him or do you just stick with Dorne as a companion?

The problem with Forex is that he uses droid parts, rather than hand-me-downs from your character, so his equipment is probably lagging behind. But yes, as a tank, you won't find him to be that useful. Jorgan and Dorne will probably be the best companions for you.

I would have to agree with 4X's issues, but mostly for the reasons that citizenFry mentioned, he uses droid parts so he is often underpowered. I am leveling with an assualt spec, to help me learn it for PVP, so a tank companion is pretty good compliment. What I did was pick up cybertech, so I could craft him the modable parts as well as armors and mods. Fully decked out at level 33, he is actually quite good and we burn through mobs much faster than with Dorne, and without me having to hold the agro like with Jorgan.

I guess my point is he can be pretty bad, or pretty good, depends on your spec and how geared out he is :)

I had the same problem with T7 when lvl:ing my JK. Things got considerably better after I got my little droid in all orange gear. A blue droidpart at one lvl is considerably less shiny a few lvl:s later. And since he had nothing but these blue crafted gear it was always some piece of equipment dragging behind. Finally got him in all orange, and let my cybertech get him good armorings and mods each lvl. There was a pretty nice improvement for me at least.

Hope it works out for you :) the droids are really fun to play with.

M1 usually stays on my ship. His companion quest line is rather hilarious. He is rather large and clunky to have him following me around. Why they didn't make him a little smaller and a tad bit taller is beyond me.

When my husband and I duo with our Troopers I bring Elara and he brings Tanno. That way Tanno get the snot beat out of him and we don't :p

• 2 weeks later...

I just got 4x and was excited, love his dialog but i went to Tavis's ship and 4x went on a rampage, starting fights without me telling him to, and so it was.... 4x lives on the ship :(

Elara is the perfect companion, heals, cc's and is relatively durable :D

Still working on oranges for her but paying attn to quest rewards to keep her up to date as much as possible ;)

Keep in mind tanking companions are not as durable as their player counterparts, and the developers have acknowledged this issue. In another thread they've mentioned they were looking to resolve the issue, but we'll see.

The nice part about tanking companions, however, is that if they're too low for a quick heal, you can just dismiss and resummon them with full health in a couple of seconds. With 4X, however, the issue still remains that they use droid parts. Tanno Vik is still the more viable option for a Trooper, if you want a tanking companion.

i used m14x throughout my whole commando story, love him, now he is geared in columi gear, 20k hp etc. we can solo the heroic 2 on illum and he can tank HM flash points.

But he is much harder adn more expensive to gear and one v one pvp a healer is still better. in group open world pvp he is good as he jams up opponents companions.

• 4 months later...

I was really excited when I finally got him as I wanted to have this cool combat droid with an awesome voice following me around to kill Imperial scum, then the first few mobs on Tatooine I found out he was way too squishy. With a lack of good droid parts on the GTN on my server I just shelved him, especially since I am Vanguard, I am a better tank than him already. I found Jorgen to be a much better "tank" and really so far I've yet to find a better companion for myself than Elara since she really reduces the down time between mobs.

I think the main problem is on our server droid parts are so hard to come by and the ones on the GTN are over 100k credits a pop even for the level 28-29ish stuff which to me just isn't worth it, I don't even spend that much on my own gear.

Personally I use Jorgan since it speeds things up and I'm durable enough even without Elara, though that might change for higher levels.

I've run into the "Companions you like but that completely don't work for your AC" problem on my Sith Marauder and Sniper as well. I wanted to use Jaesa on my SW because it made sense for the story, but was forced to use Quinn because i was crippled without him as a Marauder, same with Broonmark because his character and my SW seemed to go well together.

With my Sniper I really wanted to use Vector, and he works okay when fighting trash and such, but I'm much more effective (if slower) with Kaliyo.

It's an unfortunate side effect of the companion class system.

Tank pets are always a rather poor choice unless:

1) They are very well equipped. Think blue gear with as much on level purples as possible.

2) You are an AC and spec that can heal well. Not a spot heal here and there, but a full heal spec.

3) You are fighting stuff that would destroy a non-tank pet or your healer (like soloing a Heroic 4 or a Champ mob).

If you don't meet all 3 of those prerequisites go with a DPS or healing companion.

M1 is still fun though. Put him in DPS gear, turn on his DPS stance, and pretend he is a metal version of Grumpy Cat. His damage will be a little lower, but he's a lot more amusing to be around. Dorne is almost always a better choice for a Vanguard, but sometimes DPS pets are a nice change of pace.

Edited by BobaFaceroll

as a commando, M1-4x is actually a GREAT companion since you can sit there and heal him till the cows come home.

With a vanguard, it's just not viable. Hell in my vanguard i usually have to use Dorne just because i last a hell of a lot longer.