WoW Loses 1.1M Subscribers, Down to 9.1M

Taorus

Wow is under 9 million now... they are cloer to 8 million which still sounds like a lot, however the subs they are losing are the ones in the NA and EU markets which pay more then the asain markets, so the subs they are losing are the more profitable ones.

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow is under 9 million now... they are cloer to 8 million which still sounds like a lot, however the subs they are losing are the ones in the NA and EU markets which pay more then the asain markets, so the subs they are losing are the more profitable ones.

Not too split hairs because they have lost a ton from the western market and that's undeniable but they claimed in their investors call that most of the recent losses where from their eastern subscriber base according to MMO champ.

I think the MMO market itself is in decline. It hit a bubble and now it's going back down again. Almost all products and markets experience that over the course of several years.

Yep.

I think one thing, and only one thing, EA heads are correct about, is the idea that the day of the full time sub requirement for MMORPG's is going the way of the dodo bird.

Perhaps they all have Turbine to thank. Their implementation of F2P in DDO years ago saved its game for quite some time, and really opened the door to the F2P/B2P we have today.

Eventually, WoW will be B2P as well, I suspect.

the guy from warhammer is on the steering wheel....either he happens to be THE unluckiest SOB on the planet and he always comes into projects that are going to get screwed by the investors and shareholders , or he screws the game up and the shareholders and investors salvage what they can....hmmm i wonder wich one could be?

Oh he's lucky. The guy went from head CSR to head of the Warhammer Project. It's hilarious but sad. All the people who predicted EA would ruin Bioware and this game...fairly accurate it would seem.

Not too split hairs because they have lost a ton from the western market and that's undeniable but they claimed in their investors call that most of the recent losses where from their eastern subscriber base according to MMO champ.

They also said they lost ZERO subs in their quarter? So they went from a steady decline to Zero to a huge decline....Sure they only lost Eastern subs. Interested in a bridge in Brooklyn?:rolleyes:

This, and as mentioned earlier, WoW has been around the block for some time. The fact that TOR didn't even make it to a 1 year anniversary without going with added F2P model is hilariously bad.:rak_03:

That's what you get for using the same old MMO model and not even doing it well.

Wow is getting stale and old now for sure, but I for one had many years of excellent entertainment out of that game and I don't regret spending a single penny on it.

I played this for only 6 months and wish I could get my money back now.

That's what you get for using the same old MMO model and not even doing it well.

Or EA saw where the market was headed....and since they are the market leader, bit the bullet and is leading the Industry in its transition towards the freemium payment system.

They also said they lost ZERO subs in their quarter? So they went from a steady decline to Zero to a huge decline....Sure they only lost Eastern subs. Interested in a bridge in Brooklyn?:rolleyes:

Can you lie on an investor call? LOL I don't know. I was just repeating what was said.

An ancient game that's been around forever, and that has announced the focus of its next expansion is going to be kung fu pandas, still has more subs than its next five largest competitors combined.

Clearly, the subscription model is dead, and TOR just got unlucky.

:rolleyes:

This, and as mentioned earlier, WoW has been around the block for some time. The fact that TOR didn't even make it to a 1 year anniversary without going with added F2P model is hilariously bad.:rak_03:

WoW has only been around for that time as P2P as during those days f2p was pretty much non-existing, the number of overall MMO's was a lot lower (in particular in the west) and hence they were allowed to expand freely.

TOR launched in a year during which F2P is already taking on a vast part of the gaming market by storm, think titles such as TF2, LoL, etc and in terms of MMO's LOTRO, DDO, DCUO, etc. With on top of that, TOR trying to enter the market with a financial model which has been on decline for 3 years (overall subscriber count in the genre dropping) in an ever increasing amount of MMO's.

It's really no surprise that sooner or later they'd make the switch. Personally, my only surprise is that they were smart enough to do it now.

And everybody who believes it's a terrible move, etc. simply has no single clue on as to where the current gaming market is headed, cause if they did they'd know it'd be a game's death sentence to try and stay P2P. Give it 3 more years, and no MMO will ever be launching with a p2p model again.

Can you lie on an investor call? LOL I don't know. I was just repeating what was said.

No..you can't. But according to some here EA does it all the time. I'm just pointing out the the numbers don't add up.:eek:

No..you can't. But according to some here EA does it all the time. I'm just pointing out the the numbers don't add up.:eek:

I don't know how you hold steady one quarter... annual pass perhaps. I just think you have to take these things at face value. Yeah people say the EA investor calls maybe full of crap I just don't know if the solution is to than accuse the next big dog of doing it also, rather than just dismissing it as a kinda ridiculous claim that it is.

I'm not trying to defend wow but a I know at the end of an expansion cycle my sub was done for a bit, but again who knows I certainly don't pretend too.

I don't know how you hold steady one quarter... annual pass perhaps. I just think you have to take these things at face value. Yeah people say the EA investor calls maybe full of crap I just don't know if the solution is to than accuse the next big dog of doing it also, rather than just dismissing it as a kinda ridiculous claim that it is.

I'm not trying to defend wow but a I know at the end of an expansion cycle my sub was done for a bit, but again who knows I certainly don't pretend too.

I have not accused Activision of anything...I'm just saying on face value....their numbers do not add up.

Or EA saw where the market was headed....and since they are the market leader, bit the bullet and is leading the Industry in its transition towards the freemium payment system.

if they saw where it was headed then they would of 1 made a game that did not tank, or never made it a P2P model in the first place

the guy from warhammer is on the steering wheel....either he happens to be THE unluckiest SOB on the planet and he always comes into projects that are going to get screwed by the investors and shareholders , or he screws the game up and the shareholders and investors salvage what they can....hmmm i wonder wich one could be?

lol, i love that old blog post from the laid off ea employee talking about him stabbing marc jacobs in the back that also predicted how swtor is gonna fail due to the focus on voice acting.

Kinda puts things in perspective.:D

Previous Subscription Losses

Q1 2011 - 600,000 subscribers lost

Q2 2011 - 300,000 subscribers lost

Q3 2011 - 800,000 subscribers lost

Q4 2011 - 100,000 subscribers lost.

Q1 2012 - 0 subscribers lost. <------

Q2 2012 - 1,100,000 subscribers lost.

You know what this says to me? Nothing... When ToR can afford to loose 1.1 mil subscribers and still has 9 mil after the loss this may mean something.

If ToR lost 1.1 million subs there would be no one playing, hows that for perspective.

I have not accused Activision of anything...I'm just saying on face value....their numbers do not add up.

This has to be one of the most disingenuous things I have ever read.

"I'm not accusing them of anything, I'm just calling them liars."

Its only tanked in your opinion.

ok so dropping 75%ish of inital subs inside of half a hear is what then?

granted wow did that but they pulled their crap together... EA is not that smart.. I hate Blizzard for what they ended up doing to wow but they are a better MMO company then EA is..