WoW Loses 1.1M Subscribers, Down to 9.1M

Taorus

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

You know what this says to me? Nothing... When ToR can afford to loose 1.1 mil subscribers and still has 9 mil after the loss this may mean something.

If ToR lost 1.1 million subs there would be no one playing, hows that for perspective.

It's shocking to many. You can't just focus on the recent 1.1 million losses. You have to look at the 3 million losses in less than 2 years. The game has lost 25% of its subscribers since shortly after Cataclysm released. This isn't simply about World of Warcraft. It's being viewed as a strong indication of the market in general. When all other MMOs are failing to hold onto subscribers and adopting a F2P model AND the king of the hill has lost 3 million of them in less than 24 months people are wondering what's going to happen next.

Yeah, the last few months of an expansion? going to see some drops. After mop is out and everyone gets to play gw2 im sure wow will get alot of that back.

And no i dont like wow, i just have common sense and im not driven by some strange blind rage against a game i dont play.

If you are having problems logging into the game, I would contact customer service. I assure the game isn't dead...and will be around for quite sometime.

nah it's dead. if i don't want to play a game daily, it's dead. dead dead dead.

1.7m to 500k~1m subs and from P2P to F2P all in what, ~7 months? if it's not dead, it's on life support, or salvage mode.

dead dead dead.

yeah, dead.

Yeah, the last few months of an expansion? going to see some drops. After mop is out and everyone gets to play gw2 im sure wow will get alot of that back.

And no i dont like wow, i just have common sense and im not driven by some strange blind rage against a game i dont play.

This has never happened to WoW before. They may have had a rough start but once that ship got fixed it was smooth sailing for them. Blizzard enjoyed more than half a decade of amazing growth for an MMO. They never experienced significant losses as far as I know. Any time they did lose subs they were quickly replenished and I don't recall a time after the first year that they lost over a million subs at any point in time with the exception of that temporary issue in China. The last couple of years have been losses with no regrowth. There is no regional issue to attribute this to. It is purely player disinterest. Mists of Pandaria will certainly bring some people back and maybe some new players but you'd be crazy to expect it to make up for the 3 million they lost and I would think it doubtful that this next expansion will stabilize the numbers beyond 6 months.

It's shocking to many. You can't just focus on the recent 1.1 million losses. You have to look at the 3 million losses in less than 2 years. The game has lost 25% of its subscribers since shortly after Cataclysm released. This isn't simply about World of Warcraft. It's being viewed as a strong indication of the market in general. When all other MMOs are failing to hold onto subscribers and adopting a F2P model AND the king of the hill has lost 3 million of them in less than 24 months people are wondering what's going to happen next.

true. the industry leader losing it's hold on the market is a big red flag. but i think acti/blizz has already accepted that the game's decline is inevitable. they're just trying to make the most out of it while they focus their resources on building the next big thing.

Bingo we have a winner. Thank you, I was waiting for a sign of intelligence. You have given me hope that we are not devolving back in to monkeys. :D

nah it's dead. if i don't want to play a game daily, it's dead. dead dead dead.

1.7m to 500k~1m subs and from P2P to F2P all in what, ~7 months? if it's not dead, it's on life support, or salvage mode.

dead dead dead.

yeah, dead.

Yeah I don't like SWTOR that much either but for some people it is not dead.. for me.. yeah it is dead.

true. the industry leader losing it's hold on the market is a big red flag. but i think acti/blizz has already accepted that the game's decline is inevitable. they're just trying to make the most out of it while they focus their resources on building the next big thing.

What's the big deal? Everything dies eventually.. people think we'll be playing same games from 10 years now on?

You think MoP is going to save their subscription numbers? If that's the case I bet we see Wookies Monks in and tauntaun pet battles in the 1.5 release.

And they'll all be back for MoP.

Not the 3 million they've lost over the last two years. That's way too many for an expansion to make up for. MoP will bring some players back but the question will be how many of those 3 million will return and for how long? I feel that this along with the struggles of other current MMOs is a solid indication that the community is growing very tired of what we've been given.

Edited by Varteras

This has never happened to WoW before. They may have had a rough start but once that ship got fixed it was smooth sailing for them. Blizzard enjoyed more than half a decade of amazing growth for an MMO. They never experienced significant losses as far as I know. Any time they did lose subs they were quickly replenished and I don't recall a time after the first year that they lost over a million subs at any point in time with the exception of that temporary issue in China. The last couple of years have been losses with no regrowth. There is no regional issue to attribute this to. It is purely player disinterest. Mists of Pandaria will certainly bring some people back and maybe some new players but you'd be crazy to expect it to make up for the 3 million they lost and I would think it doubtful that this next expansion will stabilize the numbers beyond 6 months.

I dont think they will get back anywhere near 3 million, i just think they will get alot back after mop is out and people actualy get some time on gw2 and see past the hype. I think most of wows decline so far is just normal aging, something blizzard understands fully and is ready to counter it with their new mmo when its time.

It will be fun to see if they make the same mistakes with "Titan" as all the companies that have released mmos since wow came out, for some reason i doubt it.

Kinda puts things in perspective.:D

Previous Subscription Losses

Q1 2011 - 600,000 subscribers lost

Q2 2011 - 300,000 subscribers lost

Q3 2011 - 800,000 subscribers lost

Q4 2011 - 100,000 subscribers lost.

Q1 2012 - 0 subscribers lost. <------

Q2 2012 - 1,100,000 subscribers lost.

No new content, and the same crap in PvP will do it. Don't see pet battles improving the system except opening a market to buy new pets on the store with a credit card. Their are many reasons why there system is failing and spewing out a new expansion will not help it at all.

They really need to have to go back to the creative board and introduce new game modes like siege engines to entice their customers to comeback. Because everything they do it meant to take more money from you. Its basically a pay to play system along with paying extra for goodies you should get by being a loyal subscriber.

Seems to be one of the reason why I left, I was just another $15 to them.

Again.

WoW came out in 2004. The fact that an eight year-old game is finally starting to lose rather than gain subscriptions is not a clear sign of the death of the subscription model.

It's a sign that the game's been out since 2004.

Again.

WoW came out in 2004. The fact that an eight year-old game is finally starting to lose rather than gain subscriptions is not a clear sign of the death of the subscription model.

It's a sign that the game's been out since 2004.

Keep telling yourself that. Might help to put on you ruby slippers and click you heels three time while saying it.

Keep telling yourself that. Might help to put on you ruby slippers and click you heels three time while saying it.

No, I'm sure you're right. Plenty of other games from 2004 are still going strong. Just look at Battlefield: Vietnam and Ninja Gaiden. I don't know anyone who's not still playing those, do you?

Titan's going to release as F2P because that's where the market is? Sure.

The only lessons to be learned are that even the best games don't remain popular forever - though, as I said earlier, 9 million subs still absolutely obliterates the nearest five competitors combined, which is argument enough that maybe F2P isn't quite the shot in the arm it's made out to be - and that the subscription model doesn't work for games that aren't worth a subscription.

Hell, the only game I know of right now that actually is growing (EVE) is a subscription game.

Edited by Cavell

A game from 2004 is still going strong WITH subscriptions, and you just think it's people looking through ruby-colored glasses.

In what parallel universe is this a problem?