EA will close the doors on SWTOR

BeenThere

Your a blind fool keep holding onto what little bit of hope you have its ok i did too until this announcement F2P ppl will play to 50 say hey great rpg wheres the mmo at hmm and sorry GW2 starts at F2P with 5 times the content HAHA sure sure this game will be fine *skips away drooling*:D

Let me take a crack at this:

You're a blind fool. Keep holding on to what little bit of hope you have. It's ok, I did too, untill this announcement. F2P people will play to 50. <Then> Say "Hey, great RPG, <but> where's the MMO at? Hmm, and sorry, GW2 starts F2P with 5 times the content. HAHA!." Sure, sure this game will be fine. *skips away drooling* :D

I would think that instead of "skipping away drooling" that you were actually drooling on the keyboard, I suggest that you admit to that as it at least gives a reason for your poor post.

You should read up on the hybrid payment MMOs (assuming you read better than you write), the move to a hybrid model is not the end of the world.

Yeah, swtor is dead. The game is doing this horrid now and big games like gw2 and wow's kung fu panda isn't even out yet to finish the left over of this game. I am surprised they aren't doing the f2p model even sooner. Definitely glad I went with buying ghost recon instead of buying another card for this game. They began the wow garbage of dumbing down the game for the garbage casuals little bit by little bit and then now this announcement. Hopefully someone has learned something from this. Things like don't let a trash b company make the game don't use an utter piece of garbage for a game engine, and NEVER release a game too damn early that even one of the major 2 raids on release day is not even completed plus XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX bugs. Things like that kind of ruin a game. ;)

The problem here, in gameplayer terms, is NOT one of subscription numbers (except in terms of longevity). Subscriber number problems are causing the suits to wobble, sure... profit is their prime concern... but players are leaving and have left this game for a number of reasons that are simply not being addressed. The model is being introduced in the hope of improving profitability, not making the game itself better for the players... and the poor state of the game IS the reason for players leaving.

In other words... 'saving' a crap game by shifting to F2P isn't saving anything of value, from a gamer's perspective. If other games offer a better experience, they'll continue to drop ToR in the future, as they evidently have in the past and present. What model this game has is NOT the reason for such subscriber losses, despite the PR statement to the contrary.

The way STO was successful after F2P is by using the IP's official website to bring in new marks. STO rotates through players at a pretty decent clip. I fully expect that I will leave SWTOR before they close it down (if it is like STO, I will leave 3-6 months into F2P) because EA can do the same things as STO to keep SWTOR bringing in revenue.

When I was talking about Guild Wars 2 it was to just say that it has some nice game features that would help SWTOR. I don't believe that Guild Wars 2 is the be all to end all MMO's. Each MMO that has come out in the past has had it good points , and bad. When game designers use the good features of other MMO's it improves the MMO industry it pushes it into new areas , like Terra with it's action combat.

You are forgetting one very important detail. EA still have to pay to LA for the franchise on regular basis. If F2P doesn't bring enough money to make the game profitable enough EA will shut down the game if that means loose less money than keep the game running, even if EA has to pay a penalization to LA.