Ninety Seven Percent

irishfino

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad you wrote this last segment because I honestly thought I was losing my mind or would have to go back and reread some things regarding these "tribals". I was interpreting Sand People as the wildely xenophobic cousins of the Jawas and "Tribals" as the tattoo covered tribal humans that live on Tatooine and other places. I now have it sorted :)

Still may go back and reread it anyway. And Jaesa... really?

Edited by Reil

How old is everybody I lost track of that?

I may be off by a year or so but I remember reading early on in this story a mention of the Captain as 34, if that helps while we wait the offical answer :) Now two years have passed. Hard to judge the others as the only SW companion with an offical age from Bioware is Vette, age 26 at the start of the SW story arc.

That is a very good question. I'd like to know more about Barnabus, and oddly about Nari and how she ended up a Sand Person? People.. thing. :rolleyes:

Barnabus is very interesting is he? He's not telling just yet what exactly he is, but it's fun to think about. :3. As for Nari, she and Taub will probably have a discussion about their respective past lives (hinty hint hint).

Glad you wrote this last segment because I honestly thought I was losing my mind or would have to go back and reread some things regarding these "tribals". I was interpreting Sand People as the wildely xenophobic cousins of the Jawas and "Tribals" as the tattoo covered tribal humans that live on Tatooine and other places. I now have it sorted :)

Still may go back and reread it anyway. And Jaesa... really?

I started using "tribals" or "tribal" because I can't find a singular for Sand People that's canon. So, I figured, what the heck a Sand tribal could be one Sand People... thing... And, yes, Jaesa is a jerk, but she's dark side Jaesa now. Or, at least, she thinks she is. ;)

How old is everybody I lost track of that?

Reil has the answer:

I remember reading early on in this story a mention of the Captain as 34 [...] [n]ow two years have passed.

I may be off by a year or so but I remember reading early on in this story a mention of the Captain as 34, if that helps while we wait the offical answer :) Now two years have passed. Hard to judge the others as the only SW companion with an offical age from Bioware is Vette, age 26 at the start of the SW story arc.

Yes, the Captain was 34 when he rejoined Syla's crew.

Thanks for reading everyone!!

Taub and Nari grew closer over the next few months through Sith attacks, reestablishing settlements, and Taub’s strange emotional emptiness. Perhaps it was inevitable; perhaps it wasn’t. Taub wasn’t really sure what to think of it when he had the time to think and when he didn’t have the time to think it never interrupted his thoughts. It was another one of those things that just happened and he let it, not knowing how to prevent it or when to run away. He wasn’t in tune with his emotions, after all, but he was sure he felt them or what he thought were emotions.

Nari, naturally, was insistent that Taub participate in all Sand tribal rituals. He followed her lead as he had no desire to upset the balance in the tribe. This particular ritual stirred something inside him that he was vaguely aware existed.

“You have done this before, yes?” Nari asked softly.

“In another life,” replied Taub.

Nari nodded and shifted slightly above him. Taub gasped quietly. A flood of strange sensations bubbled in his stomach.

“Painful?” asked Nari.

Taub swallowed roughly. “No. Different.”

“You are tense. You should not be.”

“I’m… not sure how to… react,” Taub said quietly.

“Listen to the sand, it will tell you.”

“I will try, but I –” Taub paused and inhaled sharply. “Nari…”

Nari smiled faintly. “Trust me.

Taub closed his eyes and tried to focus on the song of the sand. He wasn’t fully tuned to its station, but he could hear faint murmurs of an ancient language. He embraced the guiding words and was overcome by a rush of sudden awareness. The mild bubbling in his stomach increased to a steady boil before slowly settling to a calm simmer.

Nari smiled again. “Now you are relaxed. Please, enjoy.”

He knew, on some level, he enjoyed their time together and, at the very least, his participation stopped the hushed whispers amongst the surviving elders that bothered Nari so much. Life with the tribe continued as normal as possible between attacks, then only every three weeks.

Barnabus, for his part, stayed to himself, only interacting with Taub out of sheer necessity. When he wasn’t out combing the desert for clues on the Sith or examining his attack pattern, he was picking the brains of the village elders and teaching the greater tribe enough Basic to make deals with pirates and dealers alike.

When Taub wasn’t hunting with the other males of the tribe, he and Nari would talk. This particular night, in the privacy of their hut, they sat side by side quietly chatting of a past life.

“I was a child when I was taken in a raid,” Nari said quietly. “It was a scary time for me.”

“It sounds like it would have been,” Taub said absently.

“Do you feel?”

“I feel things like pain or hunger,” he murmured.

“But emotions? Sympathy?”

“You know the answer to that, Nari, but you continue to ask as if things will change. Why is this?”

“I can feel your heart crying out for something. It sounds like ‘to be whole’, but I do not understand what this means,” Nari said softly.

“I have no answers for you,” Taub said tonelessly.

“You are fractured.”

“Nari, you know all this. Why do you keep bringing it up?”

“When I ask, your heart responds though your mouth responds differently.”

“Mm,” he murmured quietly. “I have noticed K’nari does not look like you. Where did she come from?”

Nari shifted in her seat and played with the sand by her legs. “She, too, was taken during a raid. Her mother was killed. As the building burned, one of our hunting females heard a baby cry. She rescued her with the help of the sand. She has not hunted since.”

“I see,” Taub said softly. “It was kind of you to rescue the child and raise her as your own.”

Nari turned to him and stared at his profile. His gaze was focused on the far wall, but an absent smile dangled on his lips.

“Taub?” Nari asked, unsure if she should proceed.

He turned to her, the smile now a distant memory.

“Will you give me children?”

Taub blinked before shaking his head. “That is not my purpose here. I am here to find the Sith. You know this,” he replied evenly. “I will help you raise K’nari while I am here, but I cannot guarantee that it will be long.”

“Okay,” Nari said sadly.

“Do not be saddened by this. It is better to tell the truth than to try to protect your feelings. It will hurt less when I am gone.”

“I’m glad you care.”

“I don’t. I am only speaking the truth.”

Nari turned away from his horribly blank face, his monotone words echoing in her ears.

“I have upset you,” Taub said quietly. He paused and examined the side of her face. “I apologize,” he said gently. “It was not my goal to hurt.”

“It is fine,” Nari said stiffly.

“I sense that is not true, but I will not push you. Come, the suns have set. It is time.”

“Yes,” she said quietly.

She wished she could guide him back to his emotions, but he seemed content in his current state. Or, at the very least, resigned to his fate.

Notes:

Poor Nari.

Edited by irishfino

I started using "tribals" or "tribal" because I can't find a singular for Sand People that's canon. So, I figured, what the heck a Sand tribal could be one Sand People... thing... And, yes, Jaesa is a jerk, but she's dark side Jaesa now. Or, at least, she thinks she is. ;)

It's a good choice. There is a name "in canon" scientists used during this time period but only a Star Wars hyper-nerd might recognize it. And only after looking it up to remind themselves. You are correct in not using Tusken for at least another 20 thousand years hehe.

Sometimes you tempt me to log in and take Jaesa on a hunting trip. One where I leave her corpse to find it's own way back to the ship. Then realize I'm tired and I go do something else.

Taub blinked before shaking his head. “That is not my purpose here. I am here to find the Sith. You know this,” he replied evenly. “I will help you raise K’nari while I am here, but I cannot guarantee that it will be long.”

<sigh of relief> Good man.

Ok I know might get lot of hate for but:

Has Jaesa really fall to dark side or she just being stubborn about Quinn trying to blow her up.

What happen to Syla I may missed it part of story in last few chaper having drink?

You ask all these plot questions that will eventually get answered with the story.. Just relax and read, man.

Ok I know might get lot of hate for but:

Has Jaesa really fall to dark side or she just being stubborn about Quinn trying to blow her up.

What happen to Syla I may missed it part of story in last few chaper having drink?

“Well, well, well,” Quinn said flatly. “It’s nice to see you again, Pierce. Vette. And,” he paused, “Jaesa,” he said slowly, caressing her name with sick delight.

Jaesa scowled and made her way to her feet. Her leg ached, but she let it fuel her anger. Quinn grinned wolfishly.

You’ve fallen,” he said excitedly. “Finally threw away your Jedi ways for the joy of the dark side. The result is better than I could have ever imagined, though I do recommend changing the make-up a bit. Purple is a bit much.”

It didn’t take long to get Jaesa out of the tank and onto one of the beds. After downing a few cups of water, she turned to Syla.

“Tatooine,” Jaesa said hoarsely. “Captain Quinn is on Tatooine.”

Pierce,” Syla said firmly, “set a course for Tatooine.”

“Right away, milord!” he saluted.

Two years since Jaesa started her search for the Captain and Quinn

She had trained for this. She had fought simulations of Quinn day after day after day to get over this… whatever she was feeling. It had taken her a year. A year to finally deliver the killing blow to the fake Quinn, but she had done it. And she kept doing it until Syla deemed her ready to stop the attacks on Tatooine.

“Do it, Pierce,” Jaesa said stiffly.

“Yes, milord.”

You’ve achieved Lord status?” Barnabus asked happily. Jaesa nodded. “Congratulations! I always knew you would go far if given the chance.”

“Is that why you let Quinn blow me up?” Jaesa asked harshly.

I’ve bolded the relevant parts.

Poor Nari indeed. Standard game Quinn has a long history of causing pain to the women who love him and driving them nuts with his lack of emotion. This takes it to a whole nother level!

I try to kill them, too.

And they're forced to let you live until they write about killing you.

Taub will get a little warmer before the end of his mini-arc (if it can even be called that).

Nari/Taub behbehs!

LOLNO

What she said.

It's a good choice. There is a name "in canon" scientists used during this time period but only a Star Wars hyper-nerd might recognize it. And only after looking it up to remind themselves. You are correct in not using Tusken for at least another 20 thousand years hehe.

Sometimes you tempt me to log in and take Jaesa on a hunting trip. One where I leave her corpse to find it's own way back to the ship. Then realize I'm tired and I go do something else.

I checked wookieepedia for Sand People stuff. Maybe I just skimmed too hardcore, but I only found Tusken Raiders and Raiders (HK-47 calls the Sand People, Raiders which is technically correct as they do raid, but he doesn't use Tusken which is correct for this era).

Jaesa can be fairly annoying in game. Sometimes you want to put a bolt in her skull and other times you want to hand her a mug of tea and wrap her in a blanket. And then drown her.

<sigh of relief> Good man.

I can be a very good man if I try.

She was referring to me.

...Reil is talking about Taub which is technically neither of you.

Well I found this 2 days ago and haven't been able to put down. Your writing is really good and keeps me constantly hooked.

Copied all of into in Word, Currently spans 211 pages, 55,703 and 523 screens.

Great stuff please keep it up.

I'm glad you're enjoying this; it's rather fun to write and it gives me wonderful practice for the longer stories I wish to write.

Last page count I did, NSP was only about half that, at around 110 pages, single-spaced, Calibri size 11 font.

Thanks for reading everyone!

Edited by irishfino

NSP has hit 15000 HITS! I asked earlier in the thread for some ideas for a celebration picture, but received no in-thread responses. Going on the suggestion of a few fellow authors, I present to you Quinn Flirting with Darth Lachris!

http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/284/0/1/quinn_teases_lachris_by_irishfino-d5hhcbt.jpg

Now, as for the status of NSP, I've hit a bit of a brick wall. This happens as I wind down toward the end of an arc. The real ending this time, not the false ending I thought I had. This arc should wrap up in the next few posts... I just need to get those posts down on paper... then typed on the screen... I hope to have readable NSP content soon. In the meantime, enjoy the picture! You earned it!

Edited by irishfino

Really looking forward to seeing how this all comes together (or gets blown to little pieces).

Also, I keep meaning to say this, but didn't want to derail other threads too much. I LOVE that Sith!Quinn's dark red meta comments keep showing up everywhere! Points for dark snarkiness!

NSP has hit 15000 HITS! I asked earlier in the thread for some ideas for a celebration picture, but received no in-thread responses. Going on the suggestion of a few fellow authors, I present to you Quinn Flirting with Darth Lachris!

I'm here at work, slaving over my cintiq tablet to produce a high detail concept painting for the environment modeling team. I have a particular rock face in here where the lighting is eluding me. The arrow is right there in the under painting but it's not working. I'm getting frustrated. I decide to set the art pen aside and open this thread to give the mind a break. I take a sip of coffee and scroll down..... And start giggling hysterically. Ahh how a nice, lovingly crafted illustration can lend perspective and lighten the mood. I imagined Quinn with his precise, measured accent quoting Monty Python to her. "You, my fine fellow, are a bit o' tail"!

Now, as for the status of NSP, I've hit a bit of a brick wall. This happens as I wind down toward the end of an arc.

Take your time. I envy anyone who can write by the chapter and still keep the continuity and get it all done. P.S. Apologies if I annoyed you in an unrelated avenue :(

Edited by Reil

Really looking forward to seeing how this all comes together (or gets blown to little pieces).

Also, I keep meaning to say this, but didn't want to derail other threads too much. I LOVE that Sith!Quinn's dark red meta comments keep showing up everywhere! Points for dark snarkiness!

It will come together in a way most aren't predicting. I can't wait to read the reactions to the end of the arc. :D

Well, I do love to snark. [preens]

I'm here at work, slaving over my cintiq tablet to produce a high detail concept painting for the environment modeling team. I have a particular rock face in here where the lighting is eluding me. The arrow is right there in the under painting but it's not working. I'm getting frustrated. I decide to set the art pen aside and open this thread to give the mind a break. I take a sip of coffee and scroll down..... And start giggling hysterically. Ahh how a nice, lovingly crafted illustration can lend perspective and lighten the mood. I imagined Quinn with his precise, measured accent quoting Monty Python to her. "You, my fine fellow, are a bit o' tail"!

Take your time. I envy anyone who can write by the chapter and still keep the continuity and get it all done. P.S. Apologies if I annoyed you in an unrelated avenue :(

Annoyed me? It takes quite a bit to annoy me and you're not annoying. I'm rather slow to reply to my inbox because: I never know it's there and I take time to think of a good response.

I'm glad the art made your day. ^__^

Thanks for reading everyone!!

Barnabus Makes His Move

Jaesa was agitated in the night. She had used her strange power on Taub to get a good reading on him, but found him sorely lacking in anything but cold and void. When she demanded answers from Barnabus, the old man smiled and led her away from the camp to speak in private. They stood across from one another, one glaring coldly demanding answers, the other smiling blithely to hide the ice within.

“He still experiences things. Emotions, pain, simple things, but he doesn’t understand anything but the immediate need to rid himself of whatever pains him. He has always had a limited grasp on emotions, but now he has no means to interpret them,” Barnabus said solemnly. “He is emptiness incarnate.”

“It’s cold. Dark. I don’t like how it feels against my skin,” Jaesa said stiffly.

“If you’re not careful, you’ll turn out the same way.”

“Our paths are different. I am a true Force user, he is but a fraud,” she spat angrily.

“No matter the means he gained the ability to use the Force, the fact remains: darkness will follow you, waiting for you to slip, then devour you whole and leave nothing but a shell,” Barnabus said evenly.

“I am stronger than him.”

“Are you trying to convince me or yourself of this?”

“I can show you my power,” Jaesa growled.

“It will do no good against me, child. I absorb darkness,” he sighed.

“You don’t know what true darkness is!”

“Then show me. And have an old man school you in the absolute.” The threat was evident in his voice, but that damn calm smile of his never wavered.

“Fine.”

They squared off, Jaesa armed with her double-bladed lightsaber and crouched for battle, Barnabus simply standing there waiting for her to strike. She hated him. She hated every Quinn she had ever seen. Her first strike appeared to go through him with no effect. He just stood there, staring, waiting for her to strike him down with the so-called power of the dark side she had mastered in the span of two years. She struck again and her saber fizzled and popped before one blade disappeared. He was using some sort of tech to disrupt her saber, she just knew he was. She moved to strike again, her movements wild, but predictable. Barnabus blocked her attack with a bat of his arm then moved in and grabbed her throat.

“You cannot defeat me child,” he said tonelessly. “I am darkness.”

Jaesa dropped her saber and used both her hands in an attempt to loosen his grip on her neck. He wouldn’t yield. He grinned at her and lifted her into the air as easily as one would a small child. She struggled and kicked and gasped in his grip, but he held her steady. Then she felt it. A strange draining sensation as if the Force was being ripped from her. Barnabus silently continued his attack and drained every bit of darkness he found. It was delicious, reinvigorating and far more satisfying than anything he had pulled from Quinn. Perhaps it was the lingering innocence within her. When her eyes slowly shifted back to their natural brown, Barnabus dropped her to the sand.

“How quickly the dark side leaves you when it’s challenged,” he murmured thoughtfully. “You were never a true believer in the first place.” Then he turned on his heel and left her there with the sand and her thoughts for company.