The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Yesterday's interview with Jeff Hickman - lots of answers

Cenyala

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be hones I have never wanted F2P, and this is just an perfect example of the fact that the loudest voice wins. Those who were playing the game and were satisfied with paying a subscription based game and hardly complained, just lost and we have to deal with F2P. Oh well, I guess pugs will be even worse here pretty soon.

Ah yes-save your coins for the next 12 months for that Nihlus mask-it won't cost you any extra money, see?
Unless the subscriber wants to spend real money to get the extra toon customization bling now instead of waiting to save up for it. It's just a consumer choice. How much a subscriber spends in the store will be directly proportional to how much patience and fiscal discipline they have ... kinda like real life. Edited by GalacticKegger

So each content update will cost something extra to buy even for paid subs? Or only for f2p players?

it will only cost more to free players. Paid subs will get the content for free except for fluff items in the cash shop but paid subs will get currancy to spend in the cash shop

To be hones I have never wanted F2P, and this is just an perfect example of the fact that the loudest voice wins. Those who were playing the game and were satisfied with paying a subscription based game and hardly complained, just lost and we have to deal with F2P. Oh well, I guess pugs will be even worse here pretty soon.

None of the haters were advocating f2p model as well. All they wanted was that their 15$ a month be better worth it-- which wasnt for most of them. E.g. repeated bugs which never gets resolved, multiple maintenance downtimes every week, poor customer support, lack of end game -- just to list a few grievances. They just wanted EA to fix those issues so that it's till worth paying $15 a month for it.

Instead, EA compromised. ""SWTOR is a miss". We can't invest further into improving all those things that makes it a miss. So, we will make it F2P so that people don't have to deal with getting $15 worth of buggy stuff.

What!?!? The tools at mmorpg.com wrote an article commending and promoting the mmorpg business model that 90% of their no-name advertisers follow?

Color me shocked! :eek:

Also, who are these tools? I followed this game since '08 and never heard of them. EA lackies? Tools with heads up some higher up at EA?

"most people asked for it" screw you Mr. New GMs. Like I said, 2008, every time f2p came up a it was drowned by loyal fans eagerly awaiting this game who hated the idea of f2p. Loyal fans who are saddened and furious at this dick move by EA all over your forums.

In the real world, sabre-rattling is very specific to military posturing. It's threatening to go to war, often going so far as to mobilize. It's really not an appropriate phrase to describe posts on a video game forum.

Hehe... actually it is more appropriate then you admit. Given all the threats, petition attempts, people trying to mobilze forum members into revolt, etc. etc.

And it's an active metaphor, that is not exclusive to the military (any more then when a friend in a sports game says "I got your six").

Q: Can a f2p player upgrade to a p2p player if he wants?

Q: If yes, will he get a refund on all things he bought as f2p since now as a p2p member, he gets those things by default anyways?

Q. What happens to all his p2p unique stuff when he goes back to f2p again ?

Unless the subscriber wants to spend real money to get the extra toon customization bling now instead of waiting to save up for it. It's just a consumer choice. How much a subscriber spends in the store will be directly proportional to how much patience and fiscal discipline they have ... kinda like real life.

Yes unless you start selling pay2win items as most other F2P mmos do so your choices now are:

- Purchase those p2w items since is the only way to compite against players that do buy them.

- Do not buy those items and start to get pwned in WZs, open world pvp and not getting groups for ops/raids.

"I then asked Jeff and Matt if they knew now, what they had known then about the MMO market in the West, would SWTOR have been built as a F2P game to begin with? Their answer, in so many words was yes. They freely admitted that hindsight is 20/20, and that they were wrong in predicting the sub model would be perfect for SWTOR, because such things are difficult to gauge over the long multi-year pre-launch lifespan of a project as massive as an MMORPG. Both gentlemen agreed that they see the F2P and hybrid models as the way the market is going, and they feel that this change for SWTOR is reactive and timely to change now rather than later. Matt said, "We're reacting because the players want it this way. There are folks who have been telling us they want it F2P since trying it, since buying it, and they see the subscription as a needless barrier... and we agree. In general, consumers today want flexibility and we're going to give it to them."

LOL what a load of crap. There was a poll before the game launched with over 8000 replies that said 80% of the players would not buy the game if it was F2P. This is not what the players wanted.

People aren't willing to pay for it because the game sucks, not because it is some giant barrier, $0.50 a day isn't breaking anyone who actually has time to play.

We're reacting because the players want it this way. There are folks who have been telling us they want it F2P since trying it, since buying it, and they see the subscription as a needless barrier... and we agree. In general, consumers today want flexibility and we're going to give it to them.

I believe them on this point and I think the above is true. Peeps do want flexibility. Many hate paying a sub. F2P certainly does give the customer choices that a rigid sub model does not. That is a "good" thing about the F2P model. Choices are a good thing.

I also like the part where he talks about content updates every 6 weeks. Whereas we were told previously there would be new content every month and we still havent seen one content update since

This part irked me as well. Many of us have been paying subs since the start and took Zoeller at his word that the content would be coming on a more regular basis. Now Zoeller is history and there has been no real new content since 1.2. Six week updates? I'll believe it when I see it.

"I then asked Jeff and Matt if they knew now, what they had known then about the MMO market in the West, would SWTOR have been built as a F2P game to begin with? Their answer, in so many words was yes. They freely admitted that hindsight is 20/20, and that they were wrong in predicting the sub model would be perfect for SWTOR, because such things are difficult to gauge over the long multi-year pre-launch lifespan of a project as massive as an MMORPG. Both gentlemen agreed that they see the F2P and hybrid models as the way the market is going, and they feel that this change for SWTOR is reactive and timely to change now rather than later. Matt said, "We're reacting because the players want it this way. There are folks who have been telling us they want it F2P since trying it, since buying it, and they see the subscription as a needless barrier... and we agree. In general, consumers today want flexibility and we're going to give it to them."

LOL what a load of crap. There was a poll before the game launched with over 8000 replies that said 80% of the players would not buy the game if it was F2P. This is not what the players wanted.

People aren't willing to pay for it because the game sucks, not because it is some giant barrier, $0.50 a day isn't breaking anyone who actually has time to play.

Most people who play the game don't come to the forums. Out of 1.3m subscribers, about 200k on the forums. So 80% of that is 160k. The number of people who have left the game is about roughly 600k. 40% of that is 240k. So take that 240k, add the 20% who would buy the game and now you have 280k, which is more than the 160k who said they would not buy a F2P game.

Most people who play the game don't come to the forums. Out of 1.3m subscribers, about 200k on the forums. So 80% of that is 160k. The number of people who have left the game is about roughly 600k. 40% of that is 240k. So take that 240k, add the 20% who would buy the game and now you have 280k, which is more than the 160k who said they would not buy a F2P game.

That might make sense if not for the poll being before the game launched

nope 2 different crystals. The black/green from the world event is a different crystal from the one from the keyboard.

point being fluff items are just that fluff. If you are that petty that you need to have every piece of fluff given to you perhaps MMOs aren't for you.

Also like I said you can earn your cartel coins and still buy everything in the shop wiht out spending a dime.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=4016075

Screenies comparison. A good laugh at best. Technically, yes, they are different. But so close and so irrelevant for anyone that didn`t buy a Razer product, that their explanation is, simply, LOL.

Source ?

/10char

Here ya go,

http://www.swtor.com/info/news/press-release/20120731

"Starting this fall, there will be two different ways to play Star Wars: The Old Republic:

Subscription – A service designed for players who want unrestricted access to all the game features via ongoing subscription or by redeeming a Game Time Card. In addition to gaining access to all game content as our current subscribers do now, Subscribers will receive ongoing monthly grants of Cartel Coins*, the new virtual currency that will be introduced later this fall. Cartel Coins can be used to purchase valuable items including customizable gear and convenience features that will enhance the game play experience.

Free-to-Play –The first 50 levels will be free-to-play, with some restrictions on access to new content and advanced player features. Some restrictions can be “unlocked” with Cartel Coins."

it will only cost more to free players. Paid subs will get the content for free except for fluff items in the cash shop but paid subs will get currancy to spend in the cash shop

Again... you assume it will be JUST fluff, based solely on EA`s sales pitch.

After all... all you have to do is buy the car. Won`t matter if the engine will blow up 200 km later, or it won`t select gears anymore. You already bought it.

Analogies aside... EA is, simply, not THAT trustworthy in regards to SWTOR, for anyone to actually believe they`ll sell only fluff. Not when they are almost running out of crowd to try the pitch in front of, anyway.

Edited by Styxx

Again... you assume it will be JUST fluff, based solely on EA`s sales pitch.

After all... all you have to do is buy the car. Won`t matter if the engine will blow up 200 km later, or it won`t select gears anymore. You already bought it.

Analogies aside... EA is, simply, not THAT trustworthy in regards to SWTOR, for anyone to actually believe they`ll sell only fluff. Not when they are almost running out of crowd to try the pitch in front of, anyway.

yeah no they are going for repeat business here. EA wants money right? Valve and TF2 has shown people will pay crap tons of money for pure fluff.

In your analogy EA also owns the gas station. they want people to keep coming back and filling up. Fluff is the way to do that for paid subscribers (as well as their $15 a month) and new content for Free players

Yes there are games out there that are Pay 2 win but they are never as succesful as those that arent like Turbines games.

Edited by jarjarloves