The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Yesterday's interview with Jeff Hickman - lots of answers

Cenyala

One more time -

P2W is only truly P2W if you NEED to buy from the store to beat content, and cannot beat content if you do not buy from the store.

That is the ONLY acceptable pay2win model.

People crying about buying PvE advantages in the store are only e-raging and saber-rattling.

I keep running into you.... based on what they say NOW, you are , well, kind of correct.......you are missing a GREAT BIG point tho...... I really wish you'd catch on........

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats only how the overly-entitled feel.

P2W is only truly P2W if you NEED to buy from the store to beat content, and cannot beat content if you do not buy from the store.

People crying about buying PvE advantages in the store are only e-raging and saber-rattling.

Nope.

Pay to win is exclusive item to the cash shop that gives at least +1 advantage to the top ingame equivalent. And/or requires an unreasonable time to acquire.

But that's not what they've billed it as. They've said, there will be NOTHING that gives an advantage.

I suppose they could say that PvE isn't really a competative arena (and lets face it, with the current difficulty, a race to server first something usually boils down to who can sit down and start first), but that ends up devolving into arguing semantics, which seems to really irritate a lot MMO players (again, given my experience of the LotRO forums as new information flooded in about it).

I'm not against Pay to be better. Like you, I can accept that it is or might be part of the game that I play, and adapt to it. However, if the plan will be to incorporate them, I would like to be told that it's going to have pay-to-be-better elements, instead of skirting round the issue and hiding behind misleading statements.

The only F2P model (Hybrid or otherwise) that I've actually seen to more or less live up to this promise so far has been Champions Online. Every other game that I've played in that has switched to such a payment model slowly slips in little things.

IN A COMPETITIVE ARENA.

Meaning PvP.

Reading is a skill.

I keep running into you.... based on what they say NOW, you are , well, kind of correct.......you are missing a GREAT BIG point tho...... I really wish you'd catch on........

What the point being that I am not getting all e-ragey and making emotional decisions like the rest of you rather than rational ones based on my own FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE with the type of model they are trying to implement?

You understand thats what makes all this rage so laughable to me - that I have already played a game where the F2P model worked and worked well?

To all you haters, QQ'ers, nay sayers, doom-and-gloomers, Chicken Littles, etc.:

The Titanic WAS unsinkable, it's just that the Iceberg never received the memo.

Fun fact: the White Star Line never claimed the Titanic was unsinkable. That was an invention of the press.

One more time -

You really should re-evaluate your definition.

What is the point to an MMO? TO MAKE YOUR CHARACTER BETTER. Some might say the closest your charterer is to being the best, the closer you are to winning.

If the only way to make your character the best is to pay a sub AND pay for items in the store, you are paying to WIN. Don't blame everybody else for your use of a very narrow definition. it's not the fault of everybody else that you're incapable of admitting yours is not the only valid opinion.

You really should re-evaluate your definition.

What is the point to an MMO? TO MAKE YOUR CHARACTER BETTER. Some might say the closest your charterer is to being the best, the closer you are to winning.

If the only way to make your character the best is to pay a sub AND pay for items in the store, you are paying to WIN. Don't blame everybody else for your use of a very narrow definition. it's not the fault of everybody else that you're incapable of admitting yours is not the only valid opinion.

Game companies need to make money too - they arent making games out of the kindness of their heart - its a BUSINESS.

You're the one who needs to change his definition to something far less self-entitled.

IN A COMPETITIVE ARENA.

Meaning PvP.

Reading is a skill.

./facepalm

I even commented that PvE could be, by some, considered a "non-competitive" arena. So yes, reading IS a skill. One that I have acquired, and you perhaps less so.

But it's like I said. It's an ambiguous statement. It doesn't tell us anything about their plans, other than "in theory" it won't affect a competitive environment. What about unranked PvP? It's not ranked, so is it not competitive? Or is it? What about Dueling? What about world PvP?

How do you, or they, draw the line at what is or isn't competitive. In almost every case, the answer is "where they feel like it", because they've left themselves enough scope to do so without going back on anything they've said. THAT's what people worry about.

When I asked the gents whether they looked at companies like SOE, Turbine, and so forth for guidance on how to make this transition, the answer was simply: "Of course." But they also said they're being very careful in making sure that they take the good things others have learned before them, while still realizing that SWTOR has things which make it unique and can't be translated as blankly.

Ohhh, so like the way they learned to not create so many servers at launch to avoid having to merge them later on. Yeah I see how they were able to learn from others. :rolleyes:

I like how subscribers will get an "Allowance" of cartel coins each month, meaning that there will be more stuff on the cash shop then our allowance can buy, so even as a paying subscriber you will have to put out additional cash to get those items.... So much for paying subscribers getting all the content free.....

This is how it starts.... The next step will be monthly paying subscribers will have to pay extra money for content, it will just be discounted since they already pay $15 a month....

It's what I hated about Aion's cash shop, more and more content started to shift from the game to the cash shop even tho they were charging you a monthly fee.... That's one of the reason I left that game after playing it for 10 months... NCSoft kept getting greedier and greedier....

Edited by Monoth

I like how subscribers will get an "Allowance" of cartel coins each month, meaning that there will be more stuff on the cash shop then our allowance can buy, so even as a paying subscriber you will have to put out additional cash to get those items.... So much for paying subscribers getting all the content free.....

This is how it starts.... The next step will be monthly paying subscribers will have to pay extra money for content, it will just be discounted since they already pay $15 a month....

It's what I hated about Aion's cash shop, more and more content started to shift from the game to the cash shop even tho they were charging you a monthly fee.... That's one of the reason I left that game after playing it for 10 months... NCSoft kept getting greedier and greedier....

is a pet content?

Game companies need to make money too - they arent making games out of the kindness of their heart - its a BUSINESS.

You're the one who needs to change his definition to something far less self-entitled.

I wasn't aware that giving a company $15/mo was the same as asking for free services...

Edited by Ganzor

.... ummm ok then well you know you can still get the pet with out spending any more money then your 14.99 a month right?

You do know there going to put items on the cash shop that you can ONLY buy with Cartel Coins? If they didn't they wouldn't be giving paying subscribers an "Allowance" to buy them...

Look at any other MMO Cash shop and they all sell items you can't get in game.... Why would you think SWTOR would be different?

Edited by Monoth

You do know there going to put items on the cash shop that you can ONLY buy with Cartel Coins? If they didn't they wouldn't be giving paying subscribers an "Allowance" to buy them...

yes and you realize that paying subscribers get cartal coins every month so they can buy said items so again there is nothing in the cartel store a paying subsciber can't buy with out spending extra money.

edit I hope it isn't any different then DDO or LOTRO they have just about perfected the F2P model. You can actually play for free and never spend a dime on the game and still get everything in the entire game.

Edited by jarjarloves

yes and you realize that paying subscribers get cartal coins every month so they can buy said items so again there is nothing in the cartel store a paying subsciber can't buy with out spending extra money.

edit I hope it isn't any different then DDO or LOTRO they have just about perfected the F2P model. You can actually play for free and never spend a dime on the game and still get everything in the entire game.

Are you really naive enough to think the allowance is going to cover every item from the store day one?

Only a fool would believe they would give you enough Cartel Coins to buy everything on the Cash shop, the fact there giving paying customers an Allowance to begin with proves this.... Otherwise they would just give you the items to begin with and you wouldn't need an Allowance...

Doesn't take a genius to figure this out

Ah yes-save your coins for the next 12 months for that Nihlus mask-it won't cost you any extra money, see?