Dumb hybrid idea

LiveandDieinLA

So i was looking at the trees earlier today, and had a ridiculous idea about trying a hybrid build.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#501bIbRMMzZGGrk0brz.2

The idea is that this build would run in juyo form the entire time. Building 5 stacks of juyo and applying burns the same way a normal watchman would, but instead of merc slash as a big hitter you would use precision slash and masterstrike.

This build would have the snare break on camo, faster trans, the root on crippling throw, low cd kick, low cd leap, 5 meter leap, and self heals from zen, as well as long range short cd pacify

I came up with this build after i noticed that with 5 stacks of juyo my masterstike tooltip read over 7k damage, and thought it would be cool to have that with precision slash.

I figure the focus generation that I miss out on by not having burning focus or focused leap should be made up by jedi crusader and the reduced cd zealous strike.

I put the points into steadfast because, since i am planning on running this in juyo i dont need any of the ataru form talents. Figured that meant i could pull some accuracy from my gear.

I am concerned that the big hole in this build is it's lack of a hard hitting ability that is on a relatively short cd. The huge masterstikes will be awesome, but inbetween those it seems like the build will mostly be putting dots on target and spamming slash, which doesn't seem appealing.

I know that it is against conventional wisdom to try to run a hybrid sent, but my mind is going a million miles per hour because of the adderal and 5 hour energy that i took so that i could write a crappy 10 page paper about African American playwright Suzan-Lori Parks, which was about as painful as having open heart surgery without anesthesia.

This is my normal watchman build http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#501bIrRrRRfsZhMM.2

And this is my normal combat build http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#501bcZGMrRRrrdGzZM.2

(just so you guys know that im not some nub who needs to be taught how to spec)

Its like 4 am here, so im not going to be trying this build until i get home tomorrow, and when i do i will probably discover just how ****** it is, but i will update you guys anyways.

Edited by LiveandDieinLA

First, I'm making an assumption this build is for PvP, based on your signature. I had a similar idea not too long ago, trying to mix and match things from Combat and Watchman that I liked. Ended up deciding that without Blade Rush or Merciless Strike dps would take too much of a hit in PvE. PvP may be a different animal though. You still have a decent set of speed increases as well as roots, and though you don't have the big hitters that you need in PvE you still should have solid burst damage. I'd say give it a shot, let us know how it went. Worse comes to worse, you can respec again.

*EDIT* It appears as though all of the links to torhead for the talent trees are screwed up on my link.... so not as helpful as I'd hoped.

Edited by Xiij

I posted this over a month ago and got laughed at. I am still running it and love it. No intention to swap back to cookie cutter. Mine is ever so slightly different but same premise. It only really works because of OS/PS being off the GCD.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#501bIbRM0zZGGrozbrzZM.2

The only Variance is 2 points in Focus to buff Master Strike vs 2 points in Watchguard for utility. Obviously you would be in Juyo form due to burns but the 5 stacks add10% to melee with PS debuffing Armor. Rely on slash as main go to attack after Cauterize. Love having Super speed, Watchman Burn/heals and nailing 5K Anihilator medals ;)

Regularly out DPS Cookie cutter Sents with my spec....

My role on our ranked wz team is to harras healers, which i why I put the points in watchguard. When i has run as combat or focus the thing that frustrates me the most is the long cd on kick.

We play on the same server Kalorina, if you dont mind I'd like to get together maybe and do some duels? I'd like to see how this sort of spec perfroms.

Well, I have been running this build for a few hour and, as much as it pains me to say it, its freaking awesome. I critted some dude for 7046 with the 3rd tick of my masterstrike in a wz earlier, and have yet to have a game where I didnt get at least a 5.9k crit.

the spec essential plays like a normal watchman build, except the heavy burst comes out in 30 second intervals, which is basically how a combat sent's damage comes out anyways.

They key here is that I am wearing the vindicator armorings. When I leap with 5 stacks of Juyo the tool-tip damage for my MS is over 8,000. I actually did 14k damage in one master strike (not the one where i hit for 7k).

Everyone always says "sent's can't run hybrid builds", but my experience today has reminded me of a very important fact: people are generally stupid.

Well, I have been running this build for a few hour and, as much as it pains me to say it, its freaking awesome. I critted some dude for 7046 with the 3rd tick of my masterstrike in a wz earlier, and have yet to have a game where I didnt get at least a 5.9k crit.

the spec essential plays like a normal watchman build, except the heavy burst comes out in 30 second intervals, which is basically how a combat sent's damage comes out anyways.

They key here is that I am wearing the vindicator armorings. When I leap with 5 stacks of Juyo the tool-tip damage for my MS is over 8,000. I actually did 14k damage in one master strike (not the one where i hit for 7k).

Everyone always says "sent's can't run hybrid builds", but my experience today has reminded me of a very important fact: people are generally stupid.

I agree completely, nice to see someone who actually TRIED it out before giving a response solely based on ignorance. Given time you will see some pretty beefy hits on Dispatch and strong DPS from Slash as well. Why go one way when you can get a pretty nasty mix of the better options from both combat and Watchman. Glad you liked it ;)

I have been thinking about a hybrid build for awhile and I am glad someone has actually tried it, and better yet, has had success with it.

I, for the life of me, can't figure out how it works though. You said it plays like a watchman build but the burst comes every 30 sec or so. Other then MS, where does your burst come from? Slash? Normally, I would think it comes from your top tier abilities but if you don't have those, what do you do?

Is it precision slash/ cauterize in conjunction that do the majority of the damage?

Besides the MS damage the combo of PS/OS on your slashes account for the majority of the anytime damage. I also use Cauterize and Riposte when I get defensive reactional. Once somebody under 30% Dispatch often used for finishing in between MS opportunities. I have had dispatch Crit for 5.5-6K so it is NOT only MS that generates bigger hits.

I mean really, its a few credits to try out something a little different. This in a game where all we do at this point in time is Roll the same 4 WZs. Give it a shot and see if it suits you, in my case I liked it.

Very interested in this idea in general, although there are a lot of hybrids that don't work.

I've been thinking of trying this one out, but I'd like to get some pointes as to how your average opener looks.

I'd assume I would do something like: Leap> OS>Zealous strike>precision slash > MS> Bladestorm? and then after that go with slash & strike and the occassional cauterize to fill time between MS?

Or should you just ignore bladestorm in this spec and go for slash ?

Edited by Stealios

The burst comes from precision slash., which is this build should always be used together with master strike.

the basic roatation is the same as a watchman, leap, OS, zealous strike, cauteriuzse, slash, ect.

The difference is that you dont have a short cd big hitter like merc slash. Instead, your burst is more akin to combat burst, coming from precision slash + masterstrike.

That combo needs to be used wisely though, as on kb or stun takes away a huge portion of your damage. try to make sure your target has burned their kb, or isnt looking at you, or that you have full resolve.

Edited by LiveandDieinLA

Alright, have played 5 games with this spec now and i *********** LOVE IT!

The spec I use atm: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#501bIbRMoMZGGrk0brz.2

I'm still thinking of maybe putting 2 points in 'master focus' instead of 'Repelling blows' or 'Close Quarters', but I will admit that haven't really thought those 2 points through.

However, in the games I played I was ahead in both dmg & healing of my teammates & the opposing sentinels/marauders.

Still getting used to the spec ofcourse, but it looks promising so far.

I'll give a short list of things I immediately noticed in these games:

- Healing/Self Healing is at least on par with full watchman

- Overall dmg so far definitely on par with other specs

- Love the utility with the speed boost & camouflage breaks roots etc.

- Burst seems to be best when using precision slash while burns are already running (so for example OS>ZS>Cauterize>Precision>Master Strike>Slash/dispatch whatever.

Minor negative points:

- 2 skill points that are not usefull (in ataru form etc.)

- Same problem, although slightly less because of elemental damage, as combat spec: sustained dmg between precision slash isn't as great as in watchman.

So overall I'm definitely happy how this spec holds compared to full sentinel specs. Will keep trying this out to get some more results/details

Once again, somebody who tried it before casting judgement. Yet again another person who loves the spec. Yes, you get the most chunky damage fromP S/OS combo, so in effect ~5 out of every 15 seconds. I have played combat and Watchman and I find 1v1 I decimate people with this setup. Hybrid Sent FTW!!! :)

Once again, somebody who tried it before casting judgement. Yet again another person who loves the spec. Yes, you get the most chunky damage fromP S/OS combo, so in effect ~5 out of every 15 seconds. I have played combat and Watchman and I find 1v1 I decimate people with this setup. Hybrid Sent FTW!!! :)

Love 1 vs 1 in this spec, although I find myself waiting for KB's & stuns more often not to lose precision> MS.

Just had a voidstar with hybrid spec, this was result: http://i48.tinypic.com/vz2mf.jpg

Now, I know numbers aren't everything, but i think it shows that the spec is viable.

Indeed! :D

Nice Damage/Heals....conventional thinking on these boards would have you think that your not capable of doing this with anything other than a full spec line to top tier Attack. But your DPS is Very Solid and compares favorably to Full Combat, Heals are comparative to Full Watchman and you have the benefit of Super Trans.....IMHO WIN,WIN,WIN....

Do you remember what your biggest Hit was?!? ;)

Also what kinda of stats you running buffed? (simply for comparing my tweaks vs yours)

I buff to the following: (finished my tweaking last weekend)

628.8 Buffed Bonus Damage.

1607 Str

18900 Hits

1208 Power

1208 Expertise

26.87 Crit

99.64 Accuracy

79.87 Surge

Edited by Ananaku

Do you remember what your biggest Hit was?!? ;)

Also what kinda of stats you running buffed? (simply for comparing my tweaks vs yours)

I buff to the following: (finished my tweaking last weekend)

628.8 Buffed Bonus Damage.

1607 Str

18900 Hits

1208 Power

1208 Expertise

26.87 Crit

99.64 Accuracy

79.87 Surge

My biggest hit so far was 6.4K dispatch on badly geared vanguard. However on average they are between 4.5 & 5.4k. Haven't paid attention to master strike hits since final one doesn't hit too often. Also I didn't take the 8% dmg increase from skilltree.

Now, I take that fully buffed includes a stim? If so, these are my stats with prototype might stim (I'm a poor bastard)

Bonus dmg: 572.6

1678 Strength

19218 HP

912 Power

1248 Expertise

31.51% crit

101.41% accuracy

76.77% surge

I haven't optimized the stats for this spec yet. Probably going to switch 1 accuracy/crit enhancement for a power/surge. and maybe something else.

I have to say though, that it looks like you're pushing surge a little too hard in your build.

Yeah the DR on Surge merits a little more tweaking but now that I have the majority of my build in place I might do some small tweaks with the surplus Coms I am gathering now...

I went with 5 x Sentinel WH Helm Mods, and 5 x Field Tech boots Enhancements. for my 5 Armor pieces...use the displaced Mods on my Belt/Wrists. I still cant afford another Might 25/26 Armoring for the wrists so I still have that to add. Will likely do similar to you and tweak Crit up a bit in exchange for the DR surge Value. Besides that I <3 my 1600Str/1200Pow

Edit: As for the Stim I use a Rakata Might Stim as I am a cheap bastard :p

Edited by Ananaku

Can we please get the full points specs into this Hybrid, I only see 4/14/0 into it..how u guys to complete the rest of the tree with 23pts left to it. Thank You.

Its breaking the Trees when posted I am 16W/23C/2F where some of the others are 18W/23C, dont have time to put the entire build in text as I am at work.

Yeah, i am currently using 18/23/0 but for some reason torhead messed everything up.

Did it by using darth-hater, think it should show now what i use:

http://db.darthhater.com/skill_calc/jedi_knight/sentinel/#::fe2de2fe4fef4e2fefe2f2ef2e2fe2fef20:

Good stuff it kept the build, This was my build: http://db.darthhater.com/skill_calc/jedi_knight/sentinel/#::fe2fe2fe4fefdf2e2fefe2f2df2e2fef2ef11ef8:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.