The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Official F2P Announcement

Quinnt

• Replies 791
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm.

Well, first off, as a gamer who has thus far stuck primarily with single player games and RPGs, SW:TOR was my first MMO. I enjoyed it well enough, but stopped playing . . . what, early May? I recently started again (this month, actually), if only to finish a few storylines I hadn't completed that piqued my interest, and am enjoying it more than my first go round. For that alone, I think, for now, I will remain subscribed. If only to see where this is going and reap some enjoyment from the game.

That said, the idea of CCs concerns me . . . and I don't much like the concept of store adds, which to me seems probable, at least some time down the road, either. As for trolls and an influx of FTPers, well. I suppose I can always turn off the general chat . . . and try to avoid 'em. Hopefully, though, this'll give folks who unsubbed before a chance to get into the game again. I'm not quite sure what to think of this beyond all of that.

One thing is certain to me, though - TOR is struggling. Sad to see, this quick out of the gates.

Edited by Tinuveil

I find it funny. Paid subs get cartel coins monthly. Yet it mentions paid has full access to the game. Not sure how that is full access if I've got to wait for something an not acquire it threw other means in the game in which paid subs get full access to.

Exactly, why do I need cartel coins if I already have access to everything in the game. That statement is BULL! Subs get the trash content, the cash shop? THATS where the good stuff will be!

Subscribers will just be the "suckers" who pay the full price for a few perks and the "leftovers" which EA thinks wont sell as well. Want that new armor shell? Too bad! Either fork up more cash or wait 3 months until you get enough free coins. All the while Little Timmy got it in the mail from the start because he got his mommy to buy it for him.

silly people.

Play LOTRO its free. See what its like. You sub. your points are to buy extra things that make life easier - you can still do everything in the game.

This is a plus, not a minus.

Play one of them to see. It really is pretty good.

That means i get to stomp f2p newbs too, bonus!:)

We have some information about this in the FAQ (http://www.swtor.com/support/helpcenter/6526). Here's the question and answer for you:

What happens if I decide to change from being a subscription player to a Free-to-Play member? What will happen to my credits, inventory, bank items, and characters?

Your account will automatically be downgraded and it will operate under the Free player restrictions. You will need to choose what items to keep with you within the restriction levels of the free access. Furthermore, you will be able to see, but not use, your excess credits, inventory slots, bank tabs, and extra characters.

Hope this helps clear it up a little!

How many character slots will F2P playrs will have per server?

We'll have more specifics about the restrictions as we approach the launch of the free to play option - for now the FAQ and http://www.swtor.com/free have as many details as we can provide for the moment. Thanks for your patience!

You didn't have a clue how to make a P2P MMO work and surely the same applies to F2P.

That FAQ is a disaster and I hope more people lose their jobs over this incompetence, F2P model.

At the moment I'm having loads of fun SWTOR. Great RP, nice people and fun game.

Sure has it's weak spots too, but the positives overweight for me.

I'll wait and see how this will develop. No need to panic or to go to eaarly conclusions.

If I think it's worth to pay a sub, I will.

If I think it's enough to be a F2P player, then I'll go F2P.

Easy.

I would only stop playing if I see, that you have to sub and use the store to expirience the full game.

Exactly, why do I need cartel coins if I already have access to everything in the game. That statement is BULL! Subs get the trash content, the cash shop? THATS where the good stuff will be!

Subscribers will just be the "suckers" who pay the full price for a few perks and the "leftovers" which EA thinks wont sell as well. Want that new armor shell? Too bad! Either fork up more cash or wait 3 months until you get enough free coins. All the while Little Timmy got it in the mail from the start because he got his mommy to buy it for him.

it means you get full access to all current and future content, and cartel coins as a plus to make your experience even more enjoyable. non subbers only get lvl 1-50 (nothing said yet about future levels), no operations, and very limited access to warzones and flashpoints. also they are apparently go to make travel a pain in the *** for them.

You didn't have a clue how to make a P2P MMO work and surely the same applies to F2P.

That FAQ is a disaster and I hope more people lose their jobs over this incompetence, F2P model.

To wish for people to lose their jobs??? Losing your job has massive ramifications for your livelihood, the way you live, your family...

Don't be so brutal and closed-minded.

There is no incompetance here.

None at all.

wow so hmmm SWG was shut down cause BW wanted to have the only Star Wars MMO on the market....then they go and make this Game (Tor) Free to play.

Serioulsy....go figure.

Mmm no. SWG was shutdown cause Lucasarts didn't want two Star Wars MMO's to deal with.

Mmm no. SWG was shutdown cause Lucasarts didn't want two Star Wars MMO's to deal with.

No it wasnt. Lucasarts had nothing to do with the decision. SOE thought (and wrongly it appears) that people would leave SWG en masse for SWTOR. Leaving them with not enough subscribers to afford to pay the licensing fees to Lucasarts. So they decided to pull the plug.

Hybrid model is a lie. This game will be F2P. The recent credit sinks like Legacy perks, mod extraction costs and augments already showed what awaits us all. Mark my words: EA will abuse the game with different fluff and Cortel credit sinks to force every player to buy cortels. Even subscribers will find out that the monthly sop is not enough to cover all in-game expenses. And that will be The End. Sad. Edited by Darth_Malish

No it wasnt. Lucasarts had nothing to do with the decision. SOE thought (and wrongly it appears) that people would leave SWG en masse for SWTOR. Leaving them with not enough subscribers to afford to pay the licensing fees to Lucasarts. So they decided to pull the plug.

Uhh. No. LucasArts did not renew their license because of TOR coming out. SOE wanted to keep it going.

Uhh. No. LucasArts did not renew their license because of TOR coming out. SOE wanted to keep it going.

You have no idea what you are talking about. SOE shut down SWG not Lucasarts. Why would Lucasarts care if two people are giving them money instead of one? Use google it makes things clear.

In fact I did the work for you. Here is a story about how Lucasarts does not see why SWTOR and SWG cannot exist side by side. They said at the time it was mutual but we all know lucasarts wanted that SOE money. Now even more so with SWTOR not living up to expectations.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/star-wars-galaxies-support-to-continue

Edited by Leggomy

You have no idea what you are talking about. SOE shut down SWG not Lucasarts. Why would Lucasarts care if two people are giving them money instead of one? Use google it makes things clear.

In fact I did the work for you. Here is a story about how Lucasarts does not see why SWTOR and SWG cannot exist side by side. They said at the time it was mutual but we all know lucasarts wanted that SOE money. Now even more so with SWTOR not living up to expectations.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/star-wars-galaxies-support-to-continue

SOE physically shut the servers down, you have that correct. LucasArts did not renew their license so that the SWG players would go to TOR. SOE has said this, and LA has said this. That article is four years old.

SOE physically shut the servers down, you have that correct. LucasArts did not renew their license so that the SWG players would go to TOR. SOE has said this, and LA has said this. That article is four years old.

No again you are wrong lol. They said in that article they were going to keep supporting SWG. Lucas in NO WAY WHATSOEVER cancelled the license. If SOE wanted to keep SWG going they would have been able to to do so. They chose to not renew. You can keep saying the same lies over and over it doesnt make them true. Show me one article where SOE is told by LA to shut down the servers they are not renewing.

No again you are wrong lol. They said in that article they were going to keep supporting SWG. Lucas in NO WAY WHATSOEVER cancelled the license. If SOE wanted to keep SWG going they would have been able to to do so. They chose to not renew. You can keep saying the same lies over and over it doesnt make them true. Show me one article where SOE is told by LA to shut down the servers they are not renewing.

LA cancelled SOE's license you moron. Stop talking of what you don't understand.