EA confident that people will be playing The Old Republic a decade from now

Taorus

Always strikes me as strange....That CEO's and Presidents of major company's are all lairs and thieves. Yet random internet bloggers are all truth tellers and saints.

You are incredibly naive if you think business is brutally honest about their decisions. Just look at how the bankers behaved over the last few years. Funny how so many have had to step down from their positions when they did nothing wrong :rolleyes:

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually there was a press release where it was announced as a joint decision by SOE and LucasArts. Do you seriously believe LucasArts would want SWG to still be around to compete with TOR for Star Wars fans. There is no doubt they at the very least convinced/leant on SOE to end Galaxies.

It was not a joint decision. SOE figured (wrongly it seems) that noone would play their game once SWTOR comes out. They did not want to renew with lucasarts because why spend the money when everyone would bail. I bet they wish they could take it back now. It makes no sense for lucasarts (who only license the star wars universe and have no stake in the game's success or failure except for licensing fees) to turn down SOE's money.

You are incredibly naive if you think business is brutally honest about their decisions. Just look at how the bankers behaved over the last few years. Funny how so many have had to step down from their positions when they did nothing wrong :rolleyes:

Sorry Cordelia, I wasn't talking about you post. More of thinking out loud.:D

Damn...time to Op

Edited by Taorus

It was not a joint decision. SOE figured (wrongly it seems) that noone would play their game once SWTOR comes out. They did not want to renew with lucasarts because why spend the money when everyone would bail. I bet they wish they could take it back now. It makes no sense for lucasarts (who only license the star wars universe and have no stake in the game's success or failure except for licensing fees) to turn down SOE's money.

Yet...SOE on its own merit decided not to offer LA any money.

The truth hurts, its not my fault they screwed up this game.

In your opinion. My own differs vastly from yours. But then again I don't throw out the baby with the bath water.

Edited by Taorus

A decade is a long time guys, thats practically an eternity in gaming. I'm all for this game, I like it a lot, but only a handful of the best games ever made still get played by a significant audience after so long.

Its much more realistic to say you'll be playing this game for another year or so and then you'll see whats what.

A decade is a long time guys, thats practically an eternity in gaming. I'm all for this game, I like it a lot, but only a handful of the best games ever made still get played by a significant audience after so long.

Its much more realistic to say you'll be playing this game for another year or so and then you'll see whats what.

Still have a Sub to UO...Thats 17 Years. Ten is a drop in the bucket.:D

Electronic Arts shares are trading lower this morning following some cautionary comments from Cowen analyst Doug Creutz, who noted that the company is seeing disappointing sales for the game Medal of Honor: Warfighter

Once again....Fail. Not Forbes. I would suggest the McGuffey Readers...would help you reading comprehension.:D

Still have a Sub to UO...Thats 17 Years. Ten is a drop in the bucket.:D

You might be happy to know that Bioware is making Ultima Forever rumor has it that it is the same studio that made this game (Team Bioware Mythic) is designing it...

Edited by Tuscad

yet uo and eq r still alive,

in our country, even the eq 1 and 2 r more popular than swtor.

Talk of doing anything to make sure the game is still being played a long long time from now. Then why aren't they adding content, talking to players, working on open world PvP, adding more species (other than a vague promise of Cathar) continuning the class, world and companion stories, adding more dailies, weeklies and proper space combat.

It seems that EA and BIoware are willing to consider free to play and thats it for the future of the game and cutting developers like crazy in the process.

Electronic Arts shares are trading lower this morning following some cautionary comments from Cowen analyst Doug Creutz, who noted that the company is seeing disappointing sales for the game Medal of Honor: Warfighter

Once again....Fail. Not Forbes. I would suggest the McGuffey Readers...would help you reading comprehension.:D

Keep reading lol. It does say they are lowering their estimate from 1 million swtor subs to 500k swtor subs. Dropping more and more everyday. If thats right they have lost 1.2 million subs since launch. No content being released. No news on when or if we will see this stuff they showed at E3. Closing most of the servers. I bet we wont be playing this game in 1 year much less 10.

Edited by Leggomy

Keep reading lol. It does say they are lowering their estimate from 1 million swtor subs to 500k swtor subs. Dropping more and more everyday. If thats right they have lost 1.2 million subs since launch. No content being released. No news on when or if we will see this stuff they showed at E3. Closing most of the servers. I bet we wont be playing this game in 1 year much less 10.

lol yeah I was thinking the same thing. 10 years from now is just a joke. It will be surprising if this game hasn't went f2p with a cash shop by 2013. Nothing ever but bad news is reported about this game so yeah I definitely don't see 10 yrs from now people playing this game. Laughing about it but that's about it.

lol yeah I was thinking the same thing. 10 years from now is just a joke. It will be surprising if this game hasn't went f2p with a cash shop by 2013. Nothing ever but bad news is reported about this game so yeah I definitely don't see 10 yrs from now people playing this game. Laughing about it but that's about it.

The article just says that it is believed that the game can be around 10 years from now. It's not said that the business model is not going to change somewhere along the road. So I don't get your point... :-\

2.2 million boxes => 1.7 => 1.3 => 0.3 - 0.7 (???)

this is not a sustainable trajectory for a triple a title with such massive variable costs. Unless there is a big revamp of the game which includes a free-form space component, social games, open world pvp, i doubt it will last much past next year.

what this guy said 100%