EA confident that people will be playing The Old Republic a decade from now

Taorus

What VP of EA would say anything but that they are invested in SWTOR for the long term?

Can you imagine what would happen if he came out and said "Wow, we F'ed up on SWTOR, we are looking to get out by next summer to save what little money we can on this disaster". ?

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well if TOR is to last a decade then they better implement some player driven end-game pretty darn soon. Running FPs and OPs over and over doesn't last very long before people give up.

Yeah, why didn't they learn from WoW?

What VP of EA would say anything but that they are invested in SWTOR for the long term?

Can you imagine what would happen if he came out and said "Wow, we F'ed up on SWTOR, we are looking to get out by next summer to save what little money we can on this disaster". ?

Because when EA is done with something....They don't talk about it, they move on.

Ok. So a VP from EA states that EA will be in the SWTOR business for the long term...translates to "SWTOR is an expense and a liability, not an asset". Proof? And I would visit Mr. Webster for his current definition of Massive, instead of the pure hyperbole in your attempted to juxtaposition.

LOL! Pulled out the old thesaurus for that reply huh?! EA has said many things they've back tracked on - the word of some laid off VP means very little to me right now. We were told content would be rolling out "month after month" after 1.2, we were told on Jan 4th that we'd be able to use emotes from our speeders, we were told RWZ's would be out PRIOR to 1.3...see where I'm going with this? Now we're told that with these layoffs "BioWare Austin is currently staffed to ensure the continued delivery of new, high quality game content for The Old Republic, and at a more frequent cadence"...lol.

And I would call 50% of the Austin studio "massive" in terms of layoffs. As I've stated all along, to the best of my knowledge, the layoffs went something like this: 600 employees, - 200 (1st round), -100 last round. That's 300 of their planned 500-1000. I'd source the numbers, but like most things on the interweb, they're "rumored" and no official numbers have been given that I'm aware of, but I assure you, I'm not trying to inflate or exaggerate anything.

SWTOR is a flop for investors so far. If they recover the development and marketing costs, I'll be surprised. <-- that doesn't make me happy, but it's the truth. They CAN turn it around, but they seem content to reduce and cut Austin before giving it more.

Here is a quote from the article, so i Find the the words in the title "a decade" funny

-"so we're going to be in the Star Wars business for ten years, who knows?"

Edited by Ensquire

LOL! Pulled out the old thesaurus for that reply huh?! EA has said many things they've back tracked on - the word of some laid off VP means very little to me right now. We were told content would be rolling out "month after month" after 1.2, we were told on Jan 4th that we'd be able to use emotes from our speeders, we were told RWZ's would be out PRIOR to 1.3...see where I'm going with this? Now we're told that with these layoffs "BioWare Austin is currently staffed to ensure the continued delivery of new, high quality game content for The Old Republic, and at a more frequent cadence"...lol.

And I would call 50% of the Austin studio "massive" in terms of layoffs. As I've stated all along, to the best of my knowledge, the layoffs went something like this: 600 employees, - 200 (1st round), -100 last round. That's 300 of their planned 500-1000. I'd source the numbers, but like most things on the interweb, they're "rumored" and no official numbers have been given that I'm aware of, but I assure you, I'm not trying to inflate or exaggerate anything.

SWTOR is a flop for investors so far. If they recover the development and marketing costs, I'll be surprised. <-- that doesn't make me happy, but it's the truth. They CAN turn it around, but they seem content to reduce and cut Austin before giving it more.

Ok...first sorry if big words scare you. Second Mr Frank Gibeau hasn't been laid off... http://www.ea.com/executives.

2nd you have facts that it was 50% of the Austin Studio....Nope.

3rd You have proof Investors think SWTOR is a flop...Nope

So in the end...We have nothing to go on but your hyperbole.

Edited by Taorus
miss spelled words

Don't know. And neither does anybody else, so arguing about it is pointless.

I'm not sure who you think is "arguing", but I do think many of us are stating our opinions on that statement. It's just friendly debate mate, not fact.

Here is a quote from the article, so i Find the the words in the title "a decade" funny

-"so we're going to be in the Star Wars business for ten years, who knows?"

Wow you fail...again

We asked Gibeau if he's absolutely confident that a decade from now EA would still have people playing Star Wars: The Old Republic. He answered, "I am, actually. We're still playing Dark Age of Camelot, we're still playing Warhammer, we're still playing Ultima Online, we're still playing Runescape, we're still playing Lineage. What's beautiful about an MMO is that when you get to a certain scale it stays with the program for a long time."

no one knows how long this game will go for. A decade is hard to believe at this stage, but it could happen, but it would have gone fully f2p by then.

We were told also that communication was going to improve with the changes they were making in Staff, but the complete opposite has happened. Updates and content are now coming out a lot slower. Story Class is no were in sight and probably being dropped due to the cost to develop. If it wouldn't have been for E3 or Comiccon I believe we would have 0 idea of what the future would hold.

Truthfully I wish Lucasarts would have went with a studio that had developed MMOs before (excluding Sony as they failed on DCUO). Trion I would believe would have been a good fit, but I guess we will see when their Defiance game tied with Syfy is released next year. I would love to see massive events for Star Wars like they have done with Rift.

Edited by Aus_Jedi
correction

Ok...first sorry if big words scare you. Second Mr Frank Gibeau hasn't been laid off... http://www.ea.com/executives.

3rd You have proof Investors thing SWTOR is a flop...Nope

I found five or six articles that the success of the old republic has a direct connection on the drop of EA stock

This is the best one...

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-06-21-stock-ticker-why-eas-market-valuation-has-crashed/

here's a good quote from the article

-"Firstly, there's Star Wars: The Old Republic. EA's stock price went into decline after The Old Republic's launch, and hasn't recovered yet - and that timing is unlikely to be a coincidence. Expectations among investors for SWTOR were extremely high, given the game's much-publicised high development costs (which probably make it the most expensive game project ever), the strength of the Star Wars license, the track record of developer Bioware and, crucially, the tantalising possibility of building an ongoing MMO revenue stream for EA which would match the one enjoyed by rival Activision Blizzard from World of Warcraft. While it would be unfair to characterise SWTOR as a complete failure, it has certainly not been a success on the level which EA or its investors would have wanted. The game has lost 400,000 subscribers since February, and it seems inevitable that the company will be forced into an embarrassing (but probably commercially sensible) transition to a free-to-play model sooner rather than later."

Edited by Ensquire

3rd You have proof Investors thing SWTOR is a flop...Nope

Your words didn't scare me, nor did they impress me.

Yup, mine is as valid as any claim you make, but unlike your predictions, mine are based on snippets of information and posts on the subject, not hope that a decade from now SWTOR will be booming.

WoW isnt even a decade old. EA is confident people will play it 10 years from now? Yeah probably, maybe about 1000 people. Unless it gets shut down before then. IT has 10 years to be still one of the best Mmos out there? WIth new technology and stuff, there will be many many other MMOS that will be made in this "decade"

Wow you fail...again

We asked Gibeau if he's absolutely confident that a decade from now EA would still have people playing Star Wars: The Old Republic. He answered, "I am, actually. We're still playing Dark Age of Camelot, we're still playing Warhammer, we're still playing Ultima Online, we're still playing Runescape, we're still playing Lineage. What's beautiful about an MMO is that when you get to a certain scale it stays with the program for a long time."

lol... its a quote in your article so how could it be a fail

lol... its a quote in your article so how could it be a fail

You failed when you posted this

*Here is a quote from the article, so i Find the the words in the title "a decade" funny

-"so we're going to be in the Star Wars business for ten years, who knows?"*

this is the full quote you should have pulled

"[We want to give them] an opportunity to try and it and say, 'You know, I really do like this. I'm going to make that commitment.' MMOs, obviously, are a big commitment of time and money and so giving people an opportunity to access it for free, try it, we found in our telemetry and our experiments is a really good strategy and a good tactic. We're going to do that. We also announced a... mass amount of content thats coming for the service, so we're going to be in the Star Wars business for ten years, who knows? We're still publishing Ultima Online for seventeen years. So we're definitely going to be in the Star Wars business for a long time and if the business changes in accordance with how the market is reacting, then that's just good process for us since we're trying to create the best possible service for our gamers."

Followed By---

Not your little snippet taken completely out of context. Don't you just hate facts

Edited by Taorus

You failed when you posted this

*Here is a quote from the article, so i Find the the words in the title "a decade" funny

-"so we're going to be in the Star Wars business for ten years, who knows?"*

this is the full quote you should have pulled

"[We want to give them] an opportunity to try and it and say, 'You know, I really do like this. I'm going to make that commitment.' MMOs, obviously, are a big commitment of time and money and so giving people an opportunity to access it for free, try it, we found in our telemetry and our experiments is a really good strategy and a good tactic. We're going to do that. We also announced a... mass amount of content thats coming for the service, so we're going to be in the Star Wars business for ten years, who knows? We're still publishing Ultima Online for seventeen years. So we're definitely going to be in the Star Wars business for a long time and if the business changes in accordance with how the market is reacting, then that's just good process for us since we're trying to create the best possible service for our gamers." Followed By---

Not you little snipet taken completely out of context. Don't you just hate facts

How many of those games are updated on an quarterly basis? None of them

How many of those games are Free-2-play? All of them

Don't you just hate facts? You see what i did, i just used your pun :D

Edited by Ensquire

I can't imagine playing this crappy game for 10 years. There's barely enough content in it for a single month's playing time, and the content that is there is incredibly bland.

Have fun playing a crappy game for 10 years!!!

I'm sure everyone will be able to enjoy the marvels of BioWare's artistic integrity in time until the company is nothing but dust (low on fat, low on calories).

Bioware's artistic integrity?

Um the Bioware that created Mass Effect 1, KOTOR, and Dragon Age 1, doesn't exist anymore. EA bought them and gutted the company....

now it's just people who create games that will earn the most money. They don't care about innovation, and making the best game. They care about milking you for all you're worth, that's ALL.

How many of those games are updated on an quarterly basis? None

How many of those games are Free-2-play? All of them

Ok lets start.

1) Ultima Online....Not free to play. New content added 12 Mar 2012

2) Warhammer Online...Not free to play. New content added 5 June 2012

I would go on. But you failed yet again

Edited by Taorus

Ok lets start.

1) Ultima Online....Not free to play. New content added 12 Mar 2012

2) Warhammer Online...Not free to play. New content added 5 June 2012

I would go on. But you failed yet again

do you not know what quarterly basis means?

It's you who failed....