Whats Coming up ?

Bmilwip

ehhh I don't know about that I would say GW2 is in the more delicate state. GW2 has to live up to the insane amounts of hype around the game.

SWTOR is out and it keeps getting updates. Everyone knows what it has so it doesn't have that pressure on it anymore.

GW2 has far more hype around it then SWTOR did. SWTOR didn't hail itself as the next step in MMOs like GW2 is.

Yes. GW2 will have serious amounts of hate for not living up to its claims.

However.

They will have made their money in the first few weeks of launch.

They aren't planning on you paying 15 dollars a month so they aren't going to care when people start QQing.

edit: I suspect they will take the blizzard stance of "we have your money. Get out."

We have your money (and we will spend it on drug!) Edited by metalgearyoda

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ehhh I don't know about that I would say GW2 is in the more delicate state. GW2 has to live up to the insane amounts of hype around the game.

SWTOR is out and it keeps getting updates. Everyone knows what it has so it doesn't have that pressure on it anymore.

GW2 has far more hype around it then SWTOR did. SWTOR didn't hail itself as the next step in MMOs like GW2 is.

GW2 doesn't rely in subs to be profitable. Arenanet proved that a game can be profitable without subs: GW1. ANet is like any other games developer, they look for profit with their games. GW1 woudn't last 8 years if it's running costs where higher than it's overal income. And I guess we can agree GW1 was not the number 1 in the market, not even the number 10.

GW2 is not a big budget game, I'll be surprised if its bugget is over 30 million usd. ANet needs sell only 500K copies of the game to break even, but with all hype in the community probably they will hit 1 million which means a net profit of 30 million usd (last time I checkd GW2 price in amazon was 59.99$).

Even if after 1 year they have to close the game because nobody plays it, I'm sure GW2 running cost for 1 year won't eat 30 million.

Edited by Diktat

GW2 doesn't rely in subs to be profitable. Arenanet proved that a game can be profitable without subs: GW1. ANet is line any other games developer, they look for profit with their games. GW1 woudn't last 8 years if it's running costs where higher than it's overal income. And I guess we can agree GW1 was not the number 1 in the market, not even the number 10.

GW2 is not a nig budget game, I'll be surprised if its bugget is over 30 million usd. ANet needs sell only 500K copies of the game to break even, but with all hype in the community probably they will hit 1 million which means a net profit of 30 million usd (last time I checkd GW2 price in amazon was 59.99$).

Even if after 1 year they have to close the game because nobody plays it, I'm sure GW2 running cost for 1 year won't eat 30 million.

This.

they will make enough money in the first 2 weeks to run for years. And develop new content for years.

I can understand one point of why trying to compete with GW2. But as someone else already said, GW2's pre-purchase/head start the 25th, and the regular release is the 28th. My PC has been dead for a few weeks. After replacing it I only come back to see the same ol' HK-51 on the main site, with not even a general idea as to when the next content patch will arrive.

A guildie mentioned GW2 before my PC started screwing up, so while it was down I also looked into GW2 with the gameplay, professions, along with some of ArenaNets history and GW1 to make sure they actually mean F2P (P2Pretty) and not P2Win. And I was impressed. Only to come back to find out that last weekend(20th-22nd I think) my guild participated in the GW2 BWE3, and will also be playing GW2.

Putting out tidbits to keep people interested is better than staying quiet and letting your competition convince more to play your game when it releases. And if I am convinced, then I'll atleast try it to check it out. No information on when, doesnt even have to be an exact date, just give me a general idea late/early and a month. But the lack of information ends up causing uneasiness in their players. The more players spread about another game through word of mouth, is more of a chance for your competition to take that precious dollar EA really wants more than giving you quality content/communication. Needless to say, I've already pre-purchased. O.o

Edited by Katsuragisama

Too bad idea because GW2 pre-ordered players will start play the game on august 22nd. To be effective 1.4 should be in PTS within a week to generate enough hype in forums to try to stop a new drop in subs. Though there's no reason to cancel SWTOR's sub because of GW2, lot people won't see a reason to keep paying their subs for a game that has nothing new to offer when they can play a whole new game for free.

ye thats why i said sept 4th 2 weeks after and pts the day before gw2 starts.

The problem with that is the original GW could barely be described as an MMO. It was more of an online RPG. The vast majority of the world was completely instanced, and you can easily play the game without speaking to another soul. Also, WoW wasn't doing anywhere near as badly then as SWTOR is now.

GW2 is an MMO proper, with instances only for the personal story and dungeons, and SWTOR is in a much more delicate state.

Swtor isnt in a delicate state at all, some peeps would love it to be in one but its not. Trying to remember when they both launched, i think wow was 04 and gw was 05 and most of the hype of gw was the fact that arena are made up of original wow devs and it caused the same argument then as it is now, b2p or sub.

Edited by Shingara

GW2 doesn't rely in subs to be profitable. Arenanet proved that a game can be profitable without subs: GW1. ANet is like any other games developer, they look for profit with their games. GW1 woudn't last 8 years if it's running costs where higher than it's overal income. And I guess we can agree GW1 was not the number 1 in the market, not even the number 10.

GW2 is not a big budget game, I'll be surprised if its bugget is over 30 million usd. ANet needs sell only 500K copies of the game to break even, but with all hype in the community probably they will hit 1 million which means a net profit of 30 million usd (last time I checkd GW2 price in amazon was 59.99$).

I would be shocked if it were only 30 mil, its been in development since 07. and you think its gonna keep up content levels with only that much, mmos of this stature eat that much for breakfast with upkeep costs never mind dev costs.

Edited by Shingara

I would be shocked if it were only 30 mil, its been in development since 07. and you think its gonna keep up content levels with only that much, mmos of this stature eat that much for breakfast with upkeep costs never mind dev costs.

Guild Wars 2 is developed by a small (compare to BW, EA, or any other known MMO developer company) team that works on their own engine (they don't have to pay royalties for use or modify a thrid party engine), already developed for GW1 but modified for the new game concept, using their own servers technology (which is pretty amzing since they don't have server's downtime for maintenance), and developed with PCs as old as 4-5 years (just read all the devs blogs and interviews). So practically the game's development costs are just programmers and art designers. If they spent more than 30 million in development I want to be ANet employee, sure the salary is awesome.

Guild Wars 2 is developed by a small (compare to BW, EA, or any other known MMO developer company) team that works on their own engine (they don't have to pay royalties for use or modify a thrid party engine), already developed for GW1 but modified for the new game concept, using their own servers technology (which is pretty amzing since they don't have server's downtime for maintenance), and developed with PCs as old as 4-5 years (just read all the devs blogs and interviews). So practically the game's development costs are just programmers and art designers. If they spent more than 30 million in development I want to be ANet employee, sure the salary is awesome.

Most game developers have smaller teams then biowares, including wows. still dont change the fact you have as much chance of pee'ing up a waterfall and not getting wet then gw2 only costing 30 mil to make since 2007.

Edited by Shingara

Most game developers have smaller teams then biowares, including wows. still dont change the fact you have as much chance of pee'ing up a waterfall and not getting wet then gw2 only costing 30 mil to make since 2007.

My stimation of GW2 cost is bassed on AION development budget, another NCSoft game, that, as far as I know, was 18 million usd (source: http://www.whatmmorpg.com/cost-to-make-a-quality-mmorpg.php) and took 2 years less than GW2 in development.

But I admit that my numbers are a guess (I think a reasonable one since GW2 uses lot stuff already made for GW1, like soundtrack, as I said) and I could be wrong, though I don't think by far.

Edited by Diktat

I don't buy into the hype being greater for Guildwars than it was for Star wars. Star Wars is the biggest IP in the world. I wouldn't be surprised if GW doesn't initially sell as many boxes as SWTOR did just based on that fact alone. Also, I think many of the PVE elitist element is not going to even go to GW for their fix because they've already been told the raids aren't there. ArenaNet, unlike Swtor, Rift, and Wow, are taking a different approach at endgame. Only time will tell if it works out, but I think as far as being a casual goes... it will.

Why? Because what do casual players like? They like getting awesome gear, they like exploring, they like crafting, they like not having to worry about other people getting so far ahead of them that they are insignificant in competition, and they like feeling immersed in the world.

Swtor followed WoW in the basic model of an mmo. They are a little better in immersion because the storylines are great, but the actual content is the same old grind. Some people like that, some people are tired of it.

Will GW2 fail? Doubtful. Realistically, ArenaNet is a lot smaller than companies like Blizzard and Bioware. Their budget was definitely a lot tighter. Most importantly they are going with a model that doesn't support pay 2 win and still allows people like you and I to not have to make a decision on what game we should sub to. We can easily afford to keep paying for our current mmo and still pick up GW2 if we want. That, actually, is the best part.

We should be very happy about this, it's virtually a win/win scenario for us.

My stimation of GW2 cost is bassed on AION development budget, another NCSoft game, that, as far as I know, was 18 million usd (source: http://www.whatmmorpg.com/cost-to-make-a-quality-mmorpg.php) and took 2 years less than GW2 in development.

But I admit that my numbers are a guess (I think a reasonable one since GW2 uses lot stuff already made for GW1, like soundtrack, as I said) and I could be wrong, though I don't think by far.

From what I can tell NCSoft is only the publisher and has nothing to do with the development of this game. They will keep it that way if they are smart, because NCSoft makes horrible games that have little to no value in the western market. ArenaNet proved they can do fine with their model with GW in the western market, and should keep it that way.

However, if NCSoft gets more influence over the decisions it won't look pretty. It actually may turn out worse than the whole EA/Bioware combo we have here.

Edited by cipero

From what I can tell NCSoft is only the publisher and has nothing to do with the development of this game. They will keep it that way if they are smart, because NCSoft makes horrible games that have little to no value in the western market. ArenaNet proved they can do fine with their model with GW in the western market, and should keep it that way.

However, if NCSoft gets more influence over the decisions it won't look pretty. It actually may turn out worse than the whole EA/Bioware combo we have here.

That's true and I didn't say the contrary, just spoke of AION that was published by NCSoft too but developed by a korean company (I don't know which one), as an example of huge hype low budget MMO of the same publisher. Publisher that also had epic fails like Tabula Rasa that was over 100 million usd budget and was p2p like AION.

Edited by Diktat

I don't buy into the hype being greater for Guildwars than it was for Star wars. Star Wars is the biggest IP in the world. I wouldn't be surprised if GW doesn't initially sell as many boxes as SWTOR did just based on that fact alone. Also, I think many of the PVE elitist element is not going to even go to GW for their fix because they've already been told the raids aren't there. ArenaNet, unlike Swtor, Rift, and Wow, are taking a different approach at endgame. Only time will tell if it works out, but I think as far as being a casual goes... it will.

Why? Because what do casual players like? They like getting awesome gear, they like exploring, they like crafting, they like not having to worry about other people getting so far ahead of them that they are insignificant in competition, and they like feeling immersed in the world.

Swtor followed WoW in the basic model of an mmo. They are a little better in immersion because the storylines are great, but the actual content is the same old grind. Some people like that, some people are tired of it.

Will GW2 fail? Doubtful. Realistically, ArenaNet is a lot smaller than companies like Blizzard and Bioware. Their budget was definitely a lot tighter. Most importantly they are going with a model that doesn't support pay 2 win and still allows people like you and I to not have to make a decision on what game we should sub to. We can easily afford to keep paying for our current mmo and still pick up GW2 if we want. That, actually, is the best part.

We should be very happy about this, it's virtually a win/win scenario for us.

technically gw2 cant fail, all it has todo is sell in the 1st month for what its had for beta and clear dev costs whatever they are, and if i remember right all the peeps in beta are pre orders. it doesnt have to keep subscribers and can sit back and just throw out expantion packs and get people to buy them cos it has no subscriptions cos what does it loose if they dont keep active players every month. The cash shop will prob be all bought up the second most peeps get in the game.

Edited by Shingara

My guess would be a large patch will hit live or test just before GW2 comes out. Probably hit test so we all keep subbing till it hits live so we can play it. With it hitting live a month after it goes on test. As people have said all the stuff on the video except I would guess level cap and new planet as they would take a lot more tetsing to balance PvP.

technically gw2 cant fail, all it has todo is sell in the 1st month for what its had for beta and clear dev costs whatever they are, and if i remember right all the peeps in beta are pre orders. it doesnt have to keep subscribers and can sit back and just throw out expantion packs and get people to buy them cos it has no subscriptions cos what does it loose if they dont keep active players every month. The cash shop will prob be all bought up the second most peeps get in the game.

This has got to be the most hypocritical and misinformed thing I've read in days. "Technically gw2 can't fail?" Did you really just say that?

Technically YES they can fail. If they don't clear dev costs, they fail. If they don't retain players to BUY stuff in their cash shop and if those players don't pay enough to FINANCE those expansions. They fail. If their players don't BUY enough stuff to pay for the bandwidth and server maintenance and upkeep and staffing. They fail.

If their players don't choose to spend money in their cash shop, they fail. They can most certainly fail. They cash shop will be "all bought up the second peeps get in the game" Really? Cash shops can't be "all bought up" because the items are digital and non-limited edition. They have a literally infinite amount of items. They can't run out.

You're wrong about so many things it's just mind blowing.

1. They have to keep players or they dont have anyone to buy things in their cash shops.

2. If they can't keep players happy enough to stay in a FREE game why would those players buy the expacs?

3. According to preorder stats they only have 1/3 the number of preorders SWTOR had, it's not a given their preorders will cover their dev costs.

This has got to be the most hypocritical and misinformed thing I've read in days. "Technically gw2 can't fail?" Did you really just say that?

Technically YES they can fail. If they don't clear dev costs, they fail. If they don't retain players to BUY stuff in their cash shop and if those players don't pay enough to FINANCE those expansions. They fail. If their players don't BUY enough stuff to pay for the bandwidth and server maintenance and upkeep and staffing. They fail.

If their players don't choose to spend money in their cash shop, they fail. They can most certainly fail. They cash shop will be "all bought up the second peeps get in the game" Really? Cash shops can't be "all bought up" because the items are digital and non-limited edition. They have a literally infinite amount of items. They can't run out.

You're wrong about so many things it's just mind blowing.

1. They have to keep players or they dont have anyone to buy things in their cash shops.

2. If they can't keep players happy enough to stay in a FREE game why would those players buy the expacs?

3. According to preorder stats they only have 1/3 the number of preorders SWTOR had, it's not a given their preorders will cover their dev costs.

wierd how you obviously didnt read passed the 1st few words, cos i clearly stated they would fail if they didnt clear dev costs, i stated that they only have to gain money from expantions and that they will probably sell all the things on the cash shop in the 1st few days that are available and unique like costumes. It has also been stated in this topic that dev costs and creation costs are going to be tiny compared to swtor so if it only has 1/3 of the pre orders swtor does it would still more then likly cover those costs. Also it doesnt have to keep subscribers, know why...... cos its not a subscription game.

Also the upkeep of the servers should be factored in to cover from release to 1st expantion of dlc content and if not they sure expect you to buy a hell of alot of fluff if its not P2W.

Please read the entire post to anything your quoting next time, thanks.

Edited by Shingara