Bioware decides to make SWTOR free to play...

Dedline

It does not surprise me that Swtor is going free to play by November 21st. They have stopped caring about their subscribers and continue to lose them with consistant server downtime, no cross server pvp, they won't even release their current number of subscribers because its dropped so low. Don't get me wrong, I do love this game, when its actually online to be able to enjoy it...

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea it's so consistent every Tuesday night

People you know might plan around this and you know go do something else for few hrs

Not me tho I'll make a thread every week complaining about the downtime because

How dare they stop me from playing for 4 hrs every week

It's madness

It does not surprise me that Swtor is going free to play by November 21st. They have stopped caring about their subscribers and continue to lose them with consistant server downtime, no cross server pvp, they won't even release their current number of subscribers because its dropped so low. Don't get me wrong, I do love this game, when its actually online to be able to enjoy it...

Constant server downtime? Blatent over exageration.

No cross server pvp? I dont have a problem, my avg wait time is usually just under 2/3 mins if that at all.

It's not going free 2 play btw. they are letting people play to level 15 free. Thats far from free to play.

Okay, I'm not very happy with Bioware at the moment, either, and chances are I'm hitting the unsub button in the next couple of weeks. But seriously, dude. Where are you getting this "21 November is free to play day" from?

Somehow the OP has managed to connect the dots that none of us could. Apparently an unscheduled maintenance on Wed Night/Thurs Morning in the 25/26 July means that SWTOR is Going F2P on 21st Nov.

Googling "swtor free to play Nov 21" brings up nothing as per usual. Maybe he's another BW Anonymous employee! (Not that Im saying the first one might not be real)

If they did go F2P which I doubt they are, he'd be crying next about how much money it cost to buy Cash Shop Items which they would need to have in order to keep the game going if they did away with subs and went F2P.

Okay, I'm not very happy with Bioware at the moment, either, and chances are I'm hitting the unsub button in the next couple of weeks. But seriously, dude. Where are you getting this "21 November is free to play day" from?

If I remember correctly, that was the day SWG implemented the NGE

http://www.gamestm.co.uk/discuss/star-wars-the-old-republic-we-are-looking-at-free-to-play-says-lead-designer/

EA announced at E3 that Star Wars: The Old Republic would include free-to-play up to level 15. Whether or not this was what Lusinchi was referring to or whether BioWare has larger plans for free-to-play remains to be seen.
Edited by DjVybz

Where did you get that info from?

http://news.mmosite.com/content/2012-07-24/swtor_will_be_free_to_play.shtml

This seems to be the oldest link I can find on the latest "Bioware" employee ranting about F2P. *shrug* Though the note about the teams being short handed struck me curious, since I personally think whatever is going on, the technical teams are swamped. Yet I didn't see the technical side of Bioware taking the hits that would give credibility to the comment. Plus, to be fair, an XP cap hike, with a rebalance of the XP curves game-wide, could be taking a lot of bandwidth from the teams. On zee udda hand, the F2P "trial," seems more like they just flipped the switch to an old system, and doesn't match the points discussed earlier. Doesn't feel right. And they didn't hit the start of July as they said.

Lets see what the earnings call reveals, if anything.

Slightly better link, and more disturbing, reading the more direct quote.

http://www.gamertechtv.com/2012/bioware-insider-blames-fans-for-swtors-woes/

The fluff store, I dig that. Using the legacy system as a "free" way to get the perks, OK, I don't use it anyway and would normally rather buy the perks. But turning the game into a glorified pay phone? Hmmmm, not going to buy it. Might even drop down my sub if I can keep access what I own for free.

Bioware is losing control of things again, in a PR context. This happened two years ago when negative news starting to move from the forums and blogs and into Wall Street analyst reports. The marketing ninjas locked down the staff, and things moved on. Nicely done. Now things are slipping again.

somehow the op has managed to connect the dots that none of us could. Apparently an unscheduled maintenance on wed night/thurs morning in the 25/26 july means that swtor is going f2p on 21st nov.

rofl!

Edited by Chaori

Slightly better link, and more disturbing, reading the more direct quote.

http://www.gamertechtv.com/2012/bioware-insider-blames-fans-for-swtors-woes/

The fluff store, I dig that. Using the legacy system as a "free" way to get the perks, OK, I don't use it anyway and would normally rather buy the perks. But turning the game into a glorified pay phone? Hmmmm, not going to buy it. Might even drop down my sub if I can keep access what I own for free.

Bioware is losing control of things again, in a PR context. This happened two years ago when negative news starting to move from the forums and blogs and into Wall Street analyst reports. The marketing ninjas locked down the staff, and things moved on. Nicely done. Now things are slipping again.

Thanks for the link. :)

I honestly don't believe a single word of that article. He just comes across as a disgruntled employee spouting lies to hurt the company.

Official statement or it's not happening, and no I don't believe the link at all anyone can say "I work at Bioware" and make up this kind of BS.

And even if it DOES go free to play I'll still stick around, I enjoy the game, just means I can play a game I'm enjoying for free then.

And if the legacy system is used to unlock stuff, fine by me, I have a level 47 legacy that will probably be lvl 50 in two weeks. Bring it on:rak_03:

rofl!

What are you laughing for? Can't you see what's happening? 25 July is a Wednesday. I've got news for you that will send chills down your spine.

So is 21 November!

That's right. The OP doesn't look so foolish now, does he? Starting to see him as the prophet that he is, aren't you? The signs are all there, man. All you have to do is look!

Remember, remember the 21st of November

A day when The Old Republic seems to blunder...

Remember, remember the game as it was

for it is about to be a scrub, free for the cause...

What is this cause you shall ever so ask?

Tis the cause of moaning and nothing less

Remember, remember the 21st of November...

A day renowned by the great coming of winter

Will be a day long time coming for the fools who surrender

Who is surrendering you ask?

They are the former workers at Bioware...how many shall ever last

The day when the dogmatic machine of EA makes us free

The day when the trolls shall have their moment of glee

Remember.....remember....the 21st...of November....

I thank you and goodnight!

:p