Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Anonymous Bioware Insider blames fans for SWTOR

CritasStorm

Anonymous Bioware Insider blames fans for SWTOR .

http://blogs.bettor.com/Anonymous-Bioware-Insider-blames-fans-for-SWTOR-Video-Games-Update-a173317

Anonymous Bioware Insider blames fans for SWTOR – Video Games Update

A Bioware Austin employee has lashed out at fans regarding the state of the recently launched massively multiplayer online (MMO) Star Wars: The Old Republic (SWTOR) according to GamerTechTv.

SWTOR or ‘Tortanic’ is being called one of the biggest blunders of this generation as Electronic Arts (EA) has thrown away over $500 million of development and marketing funds for the project and will now have to make it free to play because of the rapidly decreasing player count.

The failure of the MMO has caused a significant drop in EA’s share price and has lead to major layoffs at Bioware Austin. The Bioware employee, who wishes to remain anonymous, has stated that fans are in part responsible for how the MMO turned out.

“EA blames us and to some extent they’re right to. But it was fan feedback from the day we opened the forums that encouraged us to design it for the fans the way it is and that included making it more like Kotor then an MMO like Wow,” he stated mentioning that gamers actually wanted SWTOR to be more like Knights of the Old Republic (KOTOR), a single player role playing game by Bioware before it was acquired by EA, rather than World of Warcraft (WoW).

Fans have called him out and claim that Bioware is just pointing fingers for their own failure as they opened the official forums on September 12, 2011 where as the game came out three months later on December 20, 2011. It is hard to believe that three months worth of fan feedback could influence the game that was in development since 2006.

This news has also confirmed what every gamer could see coming a mile away. EA is finally about to swallow the bitter pill and make Star Wars: The Old Republic completely free to play. It’s either that or let the game die and be forgotten as the user base dwindles until there is no one left.

The employee also commented on the current situation at Bioware Austin as the layoffs mean that the remaining team is short handed and is having problems coping with the major changes required to make the game free to play. There has been no official announcement regarding SWTOR going free to play from EA so far but gamers can be certain that it is coming soon.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=509853''

In my thread even confirmed this was happening its in thread and also in my replys that this and lack of leaders as they all been removed and leadership, direction is killing new content geting done and their haveing to make stuff for the free to play conversation now as well as fluff items for the store.

And while working under stressful condtions and not knowing how long they still be working, as well as reduction in the team of over 60 percent of more gone.

Edited by CritasStorm
Locked Thread comfirmed this was happening

If he really is an insider, the fans are just a convenient scapegoat for the failures of BW.

If he's not, the fans are just a convenient scapegoat for the failures of BW.

Either way, you really can't blame fan feedback for a complete lack of skill, foresight, and planning. It's like blaming your child for the bake sale going poorly because you took his advice in putting motor oil into the cookie recipe.

Edited by Celebrus

Official forums weren't opened in Sept 2011. I have been a member of the forums since 2009. And I know people who have been around since 2008.

Bogus article is busy with sensational journalism. Learn to report facts. First Amendment doesnt give you the right to report fictional info without any valid data.

Hang on a minute.... during the time I played beta I remember people CONSTANTLY telling them their decisions were bad, yet Bioware made the changes anyway and didn't listen. Now in to launch they are having to revert stuff (like the modding system etc) due to popular demand.

This is just someone playing the blame game to deflect blame away from themselves. The people pulling the strings at Bioware/EA are responsible, not the fans.

Edited by NasherUK

If you listen to the fans and the game turns out poorly, it's no fault of the fans. The fans are, by definition, not professionals. They are not earning wages in exchange for understanding what sort of game they like and the ramifications their stated desires have on the larger game. People who work for game companies are. Their job, when producing a mass-market title, includes doing adequate research on what their fans want, what they will be satisfied by, and what will ruin the game even if the fans aren't thinking about it.

If an insider says "well, we listened to the fans, so it's no fault of ours" they're saying that that's the sort of company that would roll out a Car Built for Homer.

Not that I'm saying that TOR is that bad of a game - I mean, I am still subbed, and I do enjoy playing it, but "the fans steered us" is a lame defense.