A crystal clear example of LFG issues

Angedechu

Last night, after finishing my day work, I had enough time for a little MMORPGing

I thus decided to make a random in TOR and a random ''in that other game''

I queued with healers in both case.

I started with the other game first, at 7:30. At 7:31, I had my group. (I checked, by curiosity, the amount of people of my faction online. 227)

Then, TOR. It took me 10 minutes, and after this 7 more minutes, as a DPS did not click. There was well over 500 people in my faction overall

It's not normal and healty that it's EASIER (by far, far, far) to get a queue in ''that other game'' than in TOR, despite TOR having twice the pop of my other game server. (I gave this example, but even at prime time, healer queues can go up to 10 minutes)

Hell, even my DPS only (''in that other game'') never queue for more than 12-15 minutes ''as DPS''....

(Yes, I'm perfectly aware of cross server LFG...)

Edited by Angedechu

Last night, after finishing my day work, I had enough time for a little MMORPGing

I started with the other game first, at 7:30. At 7:31, I had my group. (I checked, by curiosity, the amount of people of my faction online. 227)

Then, TOR. It took me 10 minutes, and after this 7 more minutes, as a DPS did not click. There was well over 500 people in my faction overall

It's not normal and healty that it's EASIER (by far, far, far) to get a queue in ''that other game'' than in TOR, despite TOR having twice the pop of my other game server. (I gave this example, but even at prime time, healer queues can go up to 10 minutes)

Hell, even my DPS only (''in that other game'') never queue for more than 12-15 minutes ''as DPS''....

(Yes, I'm perfectly aware of cross server LFG...) You answered your own post as to why those situations are different. One other consideration to consider however is also the fact that other game buffed the tank's threat for all classes by 40% across the board and buffed some healing also. You discourage players from wanting to tank or heal when you nerf them.

The number of players on the server doesn't indicate how many will be in the group finder queue for a certain flashpoint for certain roles, and I can say quite confidently that if you try it changing different variables you're going to get different results.

/discussion

LFG works just fine for finding groups for 4 mans. Just because there is a high pop doesnt mean there are enough tanks around. If you don't want that problem try to find a tank to group with before queuing. The problems I have with LFG are all centered around actual bugs not feelings of a tool working too slow.

LFG works just fine for finding groups for 4 mans. Just because there is a high pop doesnt mean there are enough tanks around. If you don't want that problem try to find a tank to group with before queuing. The problems I have with LFG are all centered around actual bugs not feelings of a tool working too slow.

She should find a tank to que with to solve the issue? Lol! By saying that, you admit it can be a issue with a lack of tanks or healers. :cool: So the point of the thread is confirmed by your post to be valid. :p

The number of players on the server doesn't indicate how many will be in the group finder queue for a certain flashpoint for certain roles, and I can say quite confidently that if you try it changing different variables you're going to get different results.

/discussion

Sure it does.

With a cross server one however, it does increase the chances of finding a group which may want to run what you want to. Why? Because the "pool" from which the groups are going to be formed are "larger". It works very well in WoW for that same reason.

Some players were complaining the other day on the WoW forums because of getting into some group runs with Brazillians who didnot know how to speak english and they wanted them to have thier own LFG pool. Blizzard added it would only make it harder for them to find groups in the cross server LFG tool by severely limiting the amount of players in the pool to form groups from.

Edited by Valkirus

There is nothing wrong with the group finder. You're complaining that, at the time of your choosing, there weren't 3 others in complementary roles, who happened to be queued up at the same time you were.

However, that has nothing to do with the tool.The tool functions just fine.

Since this argument seems to be entirely based on personal experience, allow me to present a rebuttal - also entirely based on personal experience. :t_angel:

As a refugee from 'The Game Which Must Not Be Named', I am running heroics every once in a while. No longer to get the latest gear to raid with but rather to get a nice shiny set of leather pants (Black Hole Sith Sorcerer pants. Lovely:t_angel:). The waits in LFG takes me about 15-20 mins, which is fine because that's just enough time to do my dailies. I play on an RP server so the people I meet tend to be polite, competent, chatty and I'd say 95% of all runs go very smoothly.

In 'The Game Which Must Not Be Named' my main is a tank. If I still played, that would mean 1 second queues at most. However... the people I come across are more often than not obnoxious, incompetent, rude, dps queued as a healer thinking that'll work, etc, etc, we all know the horror stories. I find that though the queues are much shorter in 'The Game Which Must Not Be Named', however it easily takes me two or three times as much energy to sit through a dungeon than it would have doing a swtor flashpoint. :t_evil:

Though the queues are longer, I find running the flashpoints with groupfinder groups pleasant and free of stress and personally I think that's worth a longer wait.

I won't pre-judge if Bioware decides to implement a cross-server groupfinder, since I like to think the playerbase in swtor is a bit more mature than in 'The Game Which Must Not Be Named'. However, considering my experiences in 'The Game Which Must Not Be Named', I will be very wary should they implement it. :t_eek:

Besides, I rather like meeting the same people in my random groups. The pool of heroic-runners on the Progenitor is not that large and my friendlist has expanded significantly as a result.

Edited by Chrysantemum

Sure it does.

With a cross server one however, it does increase the chances of finding a group which may want to run what you want to. Why? Because the "pool" from which the groups are going to be formed are "larger". It works very well in WoW for that same reason.

Some players were complaining the other day on the WoW forums because of getting into some group runs with Brazillians who didnot know how to speak english and they wanted them to have thier own LFG pool. Blizzard added it would only make it harder for them to find groups in the cross server LFG tool by severely limiting the amount of players in the pool to form groups from.

problem is...the "POOL" regardless of size, is unbalanced. If every server has a 60% DPS,m 20% Heals and 20% tank, if an equal number of people queue on cross server, you will still be disproportional and still have queuing problems. What a larger pool DOES increase is the chance of you finding a group for a specific FP.

Example. Given the above proportions, if you have only 100 groups across 10FP you only have a 10% chance of finding a group for a specific flashpoint. If you queue for all flashpoints, it then becomes a %balance issue (if you are one of 60 DPS, you will have a 4% chance of popping first.

Now increase that to 1000 groups or more (running the same 10FP) you are going to be able to find a queue for a specific flashpoint much sooner.