The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Stealth and Inc in WZs

arkadain

In a 1v1, you can solo defend a node more than long enough for help to arrive (snip)

Reminded me of one thing: Most classes can survive the initial operative burst attack UNLESS you're a fresh 50 in Recruit gear. If you are in Recruit gear, you should not be solo guarding a point because the initial operative burst can kill you.

Yet another way the Expertise thing makes things no fun for Recruits, their team members and any geared person with a sense of fairness.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Solo defending a node is a good strategy whenever winning a large skirmish is crucial - Alderaan being the best example.

If the enemy is stupid enough to send 2 stealthers to their right, then that means they will be 4-5 vs. 7 at mid (They'd have to utilize the single defender strategy themselves, to have 5.).

4 vs. 7 = Enemy easily wins middle, and then should be able to transition to victory, since middle is such a key node (assuming they don't suck badly enough to lose mid.).

If 2 stealthers cap your left turret, it's not like they have any ability to defend it - it's basically inconsequential.

I always hope the enemy team is stupid enough to send people to our left turret. Also note, that a solo stealth defender (preferably an assassin, IMO), is not so easily beaten by 2 attackers. I personally am not a fan of this, though, since I prefer to bait the enemy into attacking the solo defender, so I see no problem with an unstealthed defender.

Edited by MobiusZero

when i'm guarding, i usually have my ops chat ready to go, with "snow (or whatever location), _____" ready to go.

if i get hit with a stealther, which actually generally doesn't happen since i'm a pyro with the talent for detection, but if they hit me, i react depending on how they hit me. sap? i'll wait until they try to cap, and then break out and carbonize them just before cap - this also allows me to wait long enough to see if they're trying to chain sap me with 2 stealthies.

if they are just trying to burn me down, i use my CC break, hit them with a flame burst, pop self heal, and run away from the node, toward my reinforcement to draw them away. if they stay at the node, i get outta range and just wait. i keep my grapple on reserve for the 2nd stealther if there's one.

the point is, as a solo defender, your goal is not to kill the guy trying to cap, you are there to draw them away, and survive long enough for reinforcement while keeping them off the node.

Rule #1 for stealthers is to go as wide as possible so you can come in from behind. This is hardest to do on Voidstar but even then you are able to be on top of the defender before he can react.

We prefer to just burn the solo defender down. If your plan is to run away and attempt to draw them out if they are burning you, you just made capping much easier. One stealther will chase and knock you back + stuns, slows and roots you out of LOS while the other caps. I have not seen any tactic that is a viable solo defense against our 2 stealthers. They know how to work together and in general just raise hell. Maybe I'm just in that 1% that has epic stealthers or we have an endless stream of luck whenever we see someone solo defending, whatever it is, we have never lost to a team that solo defends and the turning point is always our 2 stealthers capping the solo defended point. The minute we count 7 anywhere, our 2 stealthers are disengaged and headed towards the solo defender.

If 2 stealthers cap your left turret, it's not like they have any ability to defend it - it's basically inconsequential.

What kind of advice is that? Of course those two guys can defend it because reinforcements is going to be coming to help them, especially if the other team started out confident this will work because obviously no one defends a node with just two stealth classes.

I don't get why people assume the defender's help is suposed to arrive before the attacker's help, even though the attacker clearly knows where they are attacking and can see all their players at any given time, yet the defender that has to react apparently can get there faster. Mobility issues are always in favor of the attacker, or they wouldn't have attacked in the first place. You have to assume you're behind on the mobilization front by the time you see the stealth attacker and plan accordingly.

Solo defending a node is a good strategy whenever winning a large skirmish is crucial - Alderaan being the best example.

Yes, if you only have one point captured in Alderaan, then solo defending that point for a coordinated push on mid or the other point is a good idea, but only if you have the right class to defend (stealth class is best so they can prolong the fight) AND if you have a team that's responsive to inc calls.

I'll do this with the above-mentioned focus target technique where I have the defender as my focus target and I can watch his health.

Also: pop open your map. If you see your two defenders running around in circles, chances are they have inc on them. ;)

If the enemy is stupid enough to send 2 stealthers to their right, then that means they will be 4-5 vs. 7 at mid (They'd have to utilize the single defender strategy themselves, to have 5.).

4 vs. 7 = Enemy easily wins middle, and then should be able to transition to victory, since middle is such a key node (assuming they don't suck badly enough to lose mid.).

I always hope the enemy team is stupid enough to send people to our left turret. Also note, that a solo stealth defender (preferably an assassin, IMO), is not so easily beaten by 2 attackers. I personally am not a fan of this, though, since I prefer to bait the enemy into attacking the solo defender, so I see no problem with an unstealthed defender.

Could not disagree more. Stealth is so OP in capture point warzones on defense where you can hide until your whole team is dead, wait 7 more seconds, and still prevent a cap.

Those 4 guys don't need to win mid, they just need to keep your 7 guys busy while their friends take your natural turret. Now they have both sides and with the speeders, it's an easy win (don't forget what a pain it is to get from side to mid now).

The 1-7-0 or 2-6-0 only works if your team is already better and you were going to win anyway.

Novare is a bit different, with your "natural" turret being a lot more natural. For this one, you want to go for south, and if you don't get it, make a play for the opposite point, hoping to take it, or at leats draw enough attention to take south.

People need to find ways to challenge themselves because otherwise this game would be too easy.

Typing against stealther when you're solo is pointless. Unless help is already coming (in that case you don't need to call for help), the fight is going to be over one way or another before help arrives so you might as well concentrate on being able to beat the stealther 1on1.

No, this is what costs people nodes. Worst case scenario, say the stealther is way better than you, added to that, he opened from stealth so has an advantage.

Option 1: You fight him, you last 6 seconds. Then you call inc as he immediately starts capping the node. Your team has 6-8 seconds to get there and interrupt.

Option 2: You call inc WHILE he is attacking you. You only last 3 seconds. Your team has 11 seconds to get there and interrupt.

The fight durations are subjective of course, but in every case you buy your team more time by calling inc WHILE you are being attacked. Typing > Fighting, if you are stuck guarding a node alone.

I don't like to solo hold points, but it happens occasionally when my team is needed at full strength elsewhere, since I am Sage DPS and mostly expendable :p. In that case, I will always call out stealth at my point as soon as I get a whiff of it. I can usually deal with 1. If they send 2, I just hope for help before we lose the node completely. Voice comms help in these situations immensely.

The worst is when you're solo queuing in a pug solo holding a point while the team is off deathmatching somewhere else and not counting red names. Then the other team sends 3-4 stealth to the point. You're dead before you finish typing. Good times.

Essentially you type it out and then act. Yes, you're going to die, but the odds are you will any way. I understand that this time you didn't, but next time you'll face a better stealther and be dead before you're able to do much of anything. The idea is to get the warning to the players on your team so they can keep the capture from happening.

What kind of advice is that? Of course those two guys can defend it because reinforcements is going to be coming to help them, especially if the other team started out confident this will work because obviously no one defends a node with just two stealth classes.

I don't get why people assume the defender's help is suposed to arrive before the attacker's help, even though the attacker clearly knows where they are attacking and can see all their players at any given time, yet the defender that has to react apparently can get there faster. Mobility issues are always in favor of the attacker, or they wouldn't have attacked in the first place. You have to assume you're behind on the mobilization front by the time you see the stealth attacker and plan accordingly.

In that position, reinforcing the node is about the worst thing you can do.

If it was me, I would have the team hit mid hard - especially because the enemy often responds by sending too many people from mid to recapture it, thus leaving mid wide open. And even if they don't, mid is still too important to give up. Mid wins Alderaan, if your team plays properly.

I guarantee you, that if you played an equally skilled team, the team that prioritizes mid control, is going to win. The distance between the two side turrets is too great for it to be strategically wise to try and control them both.

Those 4 guys don't need to win mid, they just need to keep your 7 guys busy while their friends take your natural turret. Now they have both sides and with the speeders, it's an easy win (don't forget what a pain it is to get from side to mid now).

Against a good team, 7 players should drop 4 players in no time. Even if the 4 players manage to hold out long enough for the enemy to reinforce, your team will still have the advantage and should eventually take mid, unless they make the mistake of sending people to try and take a side node (like the mistake of sending 2 stealthers away.).

The only exception to this, is if your team in not skilled enough to win the battle. But if this is the case, no gimmick is going to win the WZ for you, anyways.

The 1-7-0 or 2-6-0 only works if your team is already better and you were going to win anyway.

That sounds exactly how a WZ should be, doesn't it? God forbid the better team wins! A skilled team doesn't need to resort to a gimmick to win. Granted, that doesn't mean you can't win by doing so - It just isn't the best strategy in the world.

Of course, there are exceptions to this, but that realy depends on the situation of the WZ.

Always call out inc before engaging the stealther. Attacking reinforcements won't be coming until it is clear the cap is happening. Otherwise, they will be pulling forces from an area still under contest and they will risk a loss there (plus the shift in forces will be obvious). So generally, if you call out inc immediately, your renforcements (if the react quickly) will get there before the cap. If you don't call inc, you reduced your chances of holding the node to under 50/50. Besides, what else are you going to do while you are stunned?

Type out 'inc west' or whatever and save it in your history so that when you do get a stealth you hit them with a stun and then send off the 'inc' message. If people still complain, tell them to stuff it. Edited by dcgregorya

No, this is what costs people nodes. Worst case scenario, say the stealther is way better than you, added to that, he opened from stealth so has an advantage.

Option 1: You fight him, you last 6 seconds. Then you call inc as he immediately starts capping the node. Your team has 6-8 seconds to get there and interrupt.

Option 2: You call inc WHILE he is attacking you. You only last 3 seconds. Your team has 11 seconds to get there and interrupt.

The fight durations are subjective of course, but in every case you buy your team more time by calling inc WHILE you are being attacked. Typing > Fighting, if you are stuck guarding a node alone.

It takes way more than 15 seconds to get from say middlle of alderaan to side unless the guy was standing on the ramp ready to jump down, and in that case he should already see you're being attacked and don't you to call out for help.

I mean you can call out for help if it makes you feel better. I do it too but 99 out of 100 times in the 1on1 case the fight is over before anyone arrives unless they're already en route (i.e. patroller).

How does one call inc on players using stealth? I was in Novare Coast, when a stealther stunned me and started capping the node. I ended up stopping the cap and defeating him but I got all types of "call it out noob" or "nice no call". How am I supposed to call inc on something I can't see?

While you have been given plenty of advise on this the thing to remeber is that in every defending game CW, NC and VS there is a timer to cap. As soon as you are stunned type out stealther and where you are! Don't worry about spelling it right or if you added to many letters as long as the team gets the jist!

You also need to understand stuns cause you don't know if a second stealther is there watching for you to break stun! Most stuns are around about 3-8 seconds while most caps take at least 10 seconds. If you break stun early only to be restunned you will likely not be able to defend the node! You can usually note how long a stun is by how much of your resolve bar it fills.

The most important thing to note to your team is that it was a stealther and that you were alone! You should Always have 2 guarding unless you are surging for a second turret in CW or NC. VS a second player should watch between both doors making sure no one is capping! and watching you standing alone for the signs of a stealther.

But before you ever encounter this dilema you should note to your team that you are solo guarding so they can at least check on you!

I mean you can call out for help if it makes you feel better. I do it too but 99 out of 100 times in the 1on1 case the fight is over before anyone arrives unless they're already en route (i.e. patroller).

only if you're bad at being a defender.

as a defender, your role is not to defeat the guy, your goal is to keep them from capping.

EVERYONE can survive the initial burst, after that, you literally only have to pole hump the node, and they wouldn't be able to kill you.

i guess some people haven't learned the fine art of pole humping.

In that position, reinforcing the node is about the worst thing you can do.

If it was me, I would have the team hit mid hard - especially because the enemy often responds by sending too many people from mid to recapture it, thus leaving mid wide open. And even if they don't, mid is still too important to give up. Mid wins Alderaan, if your team plays properly.

Are you sure you're talking about Alderaan? I mean okay 2 stealthers hit your single guarded node, and they're sending reinforcements. It's presumably a side cannon (because middle is generally well defended), except according to you the eenmy also has middle. That means either they have middle + their side, in that case they're crazy for attacking instead of defending. Or the enemy only has middle and your team has 2 sides, in that case your team is crazy for not splitting up 4/4 in a side turret and leaving you solo defending.

The 2 stealth attackers will almost always attack the side cannon that's lightly guarded since leaving middle cannon lightly guarded is basically suicidal. A successful attack will result the enemy having the two side cannons which they can pretty much immediately establish a nearly impregnable 4/4 defense on the two sides, so of course their reinforcements are going to come to the side cannon immediately as long as they've faith in the attackers.

I guarantee you, that if you played an equally skilled team, the team that prioritizes mid control, is going to win. The distance between the two side turrets is too great for it to be strategically wise to try and control them both.

Side speeders.

/conversation :p

But just for giggles...

Against a good team, 7 players should drop 4 players in no time. Even if the 4 players manage to hold out long enough for the enemy to reinforce, your team will still have the advantage and should eventually take mid, unless they make the mistake of sending people to try and take a side node (like the mistake of sending 2 stealthers away.)

I'd rather have the two sides than just mid, and have to try to retake a side. You are at a huge disadvantage running all the way to the side from spawn while my enemies can just catch a speeder. Meanwhile, if you have a side + mid, the enemies stage an attack on the side, and then rotate mid, and bottle you up trying to come around the corner.

2 Sides > Mid + 1 side

That sounds exactly how a WZ should be, doesn't it? God forbid the better team wins! A skilled team doesn't need to resort to a gimmick to win.

Sheesh, in your world, let's just forget the side turrets and have 1 turret to fight over. The whole point of the warzone is the metagame of what to control.

Someone in another thread pointed out that 1-7-0 or 2-6-0 can only beat itself, and assumes you will stomp the other team at mid. Remember, you need to be significantly better to cap, because it's so easy to prevent a cap. On the other hand, sending people right can get them off balance, forces their team to react, allows your team to take advantage of better communication, etc. Skill is about more than death-matching. It's about coordination.

You can roughly classify openings in Alderaan as either high risk high reward or low risk low reward. I guess there are also high risk low reward (i.e. 0/0/8) but we'll assume you never take these, and there's no such thing as an opeinng that's high reward low risk.

Something 2/6/0 is low risk low reward. It can fend off against all strategy reasonably well but it also doesn't have any significant matchup advantage against anything either. It's a good strat if you know your side is stronger than the other side, so that you believe the only way you'll lose is if you did something dumb. Because the stronger side generally does cap middle eventually, playing safe is a sound strategy.

But you really can't possibly know if your side is the stronger side. If the enemy side is stronger, they can meet your 2/6/0 with their own 2/6/0 and just beat you straight up in the power game.

On the other hand let's say you go with something like 4/0/4 which is very high risk but also very high reward. Problem is that even if you're the stronger team, if the other side reads your opening correctly they can do say 2/6/0 to 6/2/0 instead and this will hard counter a 4/0/4 despite the fact your team is stronger (you've greatly outmatched in 2 battlefields because you completely guessed wrong and put 4 guys on your own turret that was never attacked). So, a strong team should not open like this because you don't realy want to take the risk when you believe your team is stronger.

Now at some point in the game you may find out that your team isn't really the strong team and you'd have to take a chance but you can't possibly know that until at least you see the enemy.

Edited by Astarica

Side speeders.

/conversation :p

How am I supposed to use a side speeder if I am not dead? Typically when you win in Alderaan, you do so because your team wins the battle at the turret, and then alternates to the other turret if it is under attack. Seeing as you can't use the side speeder unless you are dead, it doesn't exactly do you much good in this situation.

I'd rather have the two sides than just mid, and have to try to retake a side. You are at a huge disadvantage running all the way to the side from spawn while my enemies can just catch a speeder. Meanwhile, if you have a side + mid, the enemies stage an attack on the side, and then rotate mid, and bottle you up trying to come around the corner.

Catching a side speeder is slower than running from side to mid or mid to side (especially the latter.).

2 Sides > Mid + 1 side

Perhaps if your team sucks enough that they keep dying. Problem with that, is you won't typically hold onto both sides, anyways, since you keep dying.

Sheesh, in your world, let's just forget the side turrets and have 1 turret to fight over. The whole point of the warzone is the metagame of what to control.

The whole point of the WZ, is actually winning in PvP battles in order to defeat your enemy.

And the beauty of controlling mid, is you can attack any side you choose, depending on the situation.

Someone in another thread pointed out that 1-7-0 or 2-6-0 can only beat itself, and assumes you will stomp the other team at mid.

And I pointed out in that same thread, how they are wrong. A 1-7-0 is like going E4 in chess. No matter what move your opponent chooses to use in response, you will at the very worst be on equal grounds with them. There is no move that can destroy a properly executed 1-7-0 opening. The same can not be said for other openings (Though in a PuG I don't mind a 2-6-0.).

Remember, you need to be significantly better to cap, because it's so easy to prevent a cap. On the other hand, sending people right can get them off balance, forces their team to react, allows your team to take advantage of better communication, etc.

And you fail to point out how doing so, puts you off balance mid. Any skilled team should utterly stomp you if you go 1-5-2 or 2-4-2, because they will take mid.

To really emphasize my position on the matter - I personally will sacrifice both side turrets if it means taking mid. I would even send all 8 players if that's what it took to take it. Once you take mid, you can then transition into taking a side node, and then have the easiest time possible controlling 2 nodes (since contrary to what you stated, in reality, it's easier to retain control of mid + 1 side turret, than 2 side turrets.).

Edited by MobiusZero

EVERYONE can survive the initial burst, after that, you literally only have to pole hump the node, and they wouldn't be able to kill you.

i guess some people haven't learned the fine art of pole humping.

Just because Op healers are the master of pillar humping doesn't mean this same tactic is nearly as effective with anyone else. Without a way to remove snares you're pretty much just wasting your own DPS especially given all classes that can stealth are melee so it's not like you can LoS out of their casts. Let's see what it means if you have a way to reliably remove snare:

Tankasin - You should've started out stealthed and you're generally one of the best 1on1 defender anyway so you don't really need help (though it won't hurt).

Healer - It's probably a mistake to leave a healer solo defend and your team is likely doomed.

Op DPS - A very questionable choice for solo defender, and you should've started out stealthed which would counter their stealth.

Merc DPS - You lose to almost anyone 1on1 so I've no idea why you are solo defending a node.

Sorc DPS - While not blatantly as bad as some of the other choices, picking a medium range DPS with lowest survivality to solo defend a node is still not one of the smartest thing you can do.

So for there to even be a possible advantage to pillar hump you either have to use someone who should never be solo defending, or in the case of the Tankasin he's already the best solo defender and is quite capable of fighting the attacker straight up.

You can roughly classify openings in Alderaan as either high risk high reward or low risk low reward. I guess there are also high risk low reward (i.e. 0/0/8) but we'll assume you never take these, and there's no such thing as an opeinng that's high reward low risk.

Something 2/6/0 is low risk low reward. It can fend off against all strategy reasonably well but it also doesn't have any significant matchup advantage against anything either. It's a good strat if you know your side is stronger than the other side, so that you believe the only way you'll lose is if you did something dumb. Because the stronger side generally does cap middle eventually, playing safe is a sound strategy.

Very well said. I think that is the way I will explain it to people in the future.

Edited by MobiusZero

How am I supposed to use a side speeder if I am not dead? Typically when you win in Alderaan, you do so because your team wins the battle at the turret, and then alternates to the other turret if it is under attack. Seeing as you can't use the side speeder unless you are dead, it doesn't exactly do you much good in this situation.

Catching a side speeder is slower than running from side to mid or mid to side (especially the latter.).

Perhaps if your team sucks enough that they keep dying. Problem with that, is you won't typically hold onto both sides, anyways, since you keep dying.

The whole point of the WZ, is actually winning in PvP battles in order to defeat your enemy.

And the beauty of controlling mid, is you can attack any side you choose, depending on the situation.

And I pointed out in that same thread, how they are wrong. A 1-7-0 is like going E4 in chess. No matter what move your opponent chooses to use in response, you will at the very worst be on equal grounds with them. There is no move that can destroy a properly executed 1-7-0 opening. The same can not be said for other openings (Though in a PuG I don't mind a 2-6-0.).

And you fail to point out how doing so, puts you off balance mid. Any skilled team should utterly stomp you if you go 1-5-2 or 2-4-2, because they will take mid.

To really emphasize my position on the matter - I personally will sacrifice both side turrets if it means taking mid. I would even send all 8 players if that's what it took to take it. Once you take mid, you can then transition into taking a side node, and then have the easiest time possible controlling 2 nodes (since contrary to what you stated, in reality, it's easier to retain control of mid + 1 side turret, than 2 side turrets.).

It's way easier to defend 2 side turrets than side + middle. You need an absolutely awesome coordianted strikes on both side turrets to even have a chance at leaving the defense imbalanced.

But it's precisely because side cannons are so hard to take that taking middle is usually the better idea, because you should expect the enemy team to be able to keep their side cannon. Rather than go for the hail mary and capture double sides, it's far more practical to simply go for side + middle. It's still an position you can reilably hold 99% of the time as oposed to 99.9% of the time if you hold double sides.

But if you do have both side cannons, it's basically game over. It's because this position is so strong you should never assume the enemy team is so dumb to let you achieve it.

I would love to hear a logical reason to the solo defender strategy.

Do people just like losing that much?

I guard nodes solo all of the time (Conc Op). I'm smart with my positioning and use my abilities to hinder the capping of a node until help arives. What a lot of people fail to do is that they feel the need to kill any attacker that is coming for the node. All you need to do is stall. Its like defending a door in VS - you don't need to demolish all of the attackers, you simply need to recycle defenders and tap the cappers.

I guard nodes solo all of the time (Conc Op). I'm smart with my positioning and use my abilities to hinder the capping of a node until help arives. What a lot of people fail to do is that they feel the need to kill any attacker that is coming for the node. All you need to do is stall. Its like defending a door in VS - you don't need to demolish all of the attackers, you simply need to recycle defenders and tap the cappers.

Stealth classes are almost never vulnerable to being jumped by stealth since the defender has far more places to hide in stealth compared to the places a stealth attacker can reasonably search. Removing stealth from the enemy's arsenal makes it very easy to communicate because you're never in a distressed situation as you'll always have the jump on the attacker as opposed to the other way around.

Are you sure you're talking about Alderaan? I mean okay 2 stealthers hit your single guarded node, and they're sending reinforcements. It's presumably a side cannon (because middle is generally well defended), except according to you the eenmy also has middle. That means either they have middle + their side, in that case they're crazy for attacking instead of defending. Or the enemy only has middle and your team has 2 sides, in that case your team is crazy for not splitting up 4/4 in a side turret and leaving you solo defending.

The 2 stealth attackers will almost always attack the side cannon that's lightly guarded since leaving middle cannon lightly guarded is basically suicidal. A successful attack will result the enemy having the two side cannons which they can pretty much immediately establish a nearly impregnable 4/4 defense on the two sides, so of course their reinforcements are going to come to the side cannon immediately as long as they've faith in the attackers.

Forgot to respond to this earlier.

What I was saying, is if my team sent two stealthers to the right, and capped the node, then reinforcing that node is a bad idea. Instead of reinforcing right turret, you should strike mid.

It's way easier to defend 2 side turrets than side + middle. You need an absolutely awesome coordianted strikes on both side turrets to even have a chance at leaving the defense imbalanced.

An awesome coordinated strike is very easy to do, and thus why defending 2 side turrets is so difficult. A team that controls mid, but no sides, needs merely to send 6-7 attackers against the turret with the least defenders, and once they take one, it's basically GG. Defending two side turrets requires you to spread your team out. Defending mid + 1 side allows your team to stay together, and strike attackers at full force (it's basically the same thing as attacking. Your attack force is also your defense force.).

Any strategy that relies on your team dying to be effective (using side speeders), is only going to work against a less-skilled team who doesn't pack the punch to overwhelm your least defended turret, or who was stupid and attacks both turrets at the same time.

Edited by MobiusZero