Lethality vs. Engineering vs. MM for PvE Ops

Rischardo

@Svii: Yeah that guild was kinda awful. The very last guild I was in was damned impressive, I had SUCH a difficult time even trying to break 700k dmg done (never successfully did it) because everyone was doing so much dps that things died too damn fast.

It was fun being the average guy in the raid for once, gonna miss it if I cant find another comparable guild on my server. Which is looking to be the case.

@Tibbel: See that's still my issue, your tone is still favoring the sim being absolute and seeing why I'm not doing what the sim claims to be possible.

Again I'll have to take the time to do it one of these days. I don't expect to just toss 1 parse up here for the sake of it I'll prolly get a handful parses in for comparative purposes. Because not every parse is flawless, but even when I don't miss a beat it still doesn't come close *which is the whole point*.

What I really want to see out of these sims is a move-for-move list over the entire 5 minute duration. The priority list does not provide this, I want to actually have a list of what the sim deduced to be the best move for every.single.gcd. of the entire 300s so I can actually see whats going on during the parse.

Comparing the number of times each thing was cast is nice, but it doesn't necessarily tell the story properly as it may not be possible based on subtle things in a live rotation.

Edited by Shecrazy

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I really want to see out of these sims is a move-for-move list over the entire 5 minute duration.

You can see an example one in the SimulationCraft results, under the Action Priority List. (SimulationCraft runs thousands of times, so it only displays one example sequence.) Here's the one for the MM profile at simulationcraft.org:

0 -	stim,type=exotech_skill
1 -	coordination
2 -	snapshot_stats
3 -	take_cover,if=buff.take_cover.down
4 -	use_relics
5 -	power_potion
6 -	adrenaline_probe,if=energy.deficit>=44&buff.sniper_volley.down
7 -	target_acquired,if=energy.deficit>=10
8 -	sniper_volley,if=buff.adrenaline_probe.down
9 -	laze_target
A -	orbital_strike,if=(buff.adrenaline_probe.up|cooldown.adrenaline_probe.remains<2)&energy.deficit>=energy.regen*2*1.5
B -	followthrough,if=buff.followthrough.up&energy>=72&energy.deficit>=energy.regen*1.5-6
C -	wait,if=cooldown.followthrough.remains<0.9&buff.followthrough.remains>=0.9,sec=cooldown.followthrough.remains
D -	ambush,if=buff.reactive_shot.up&energy>=81-energy.regen*1.5
E -	snipe,if=buff.snap_shot.up&energy>=86&cooldown.followthrough.remains<=4.5
F -	ambush,if=energy>=81-energy.regen*2.5
G -	snipe,if=energy>=86-energy.regen*1.5&cooldown.followthrough.remains<=1.5&buff.followthrough.remains<=1.5
H -	orbital_strike,if=energy>=96-energy.regen*2
I -	series_of_shots,if=energy>=86&cooldown.followthrough.remains>=3
J -	takedown,if=energy>=81
K -	corrosive_dart,if=energy>=86&!dot.corrosive_dart.ticking
L -	explosive_probe,if=energy>=86
M -	rifle_shot,if=energy.deficit>energy.regen*1.5+buff.adrenaline_probe.up*8
N -	snipe

Sample Sequence
0389E75CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCFBHMGBMIDBMKMGBIDBMLMGBM8IDBKNHBM9IDBMKMGBI
DBMLGBMI68DBIKGBHMFBIGBMKG79BDMLBMIGB8DMKCBINCBHDBMKMGBMIFBLMGBMI985DBI
KGBMNDBHMGBMMFBIGBKMGBD8MLBIKGBMD79MBIGABDMJ6CCCCCGBIGBDMJ8BIKGBLDMBIGB
MJDBM9HGCCCCCCCCBMIDBJ8MGCBIKFBJLGCCCCCBMIDBJMMGBHFBM795I8

('C' is a wait until FT comes off cooldown in certain situations. All the repeated 'C's are when it goes through and sees that it needs to keep waiting.)

By the way, I've stated several times that nothing should be regarded as absolute -- so I'm not sure how you can interpret that I'm saying anything different. Tone is not something that's very well communicated through text, so any tone you're reading from my post is likely based on your own interpretation. (Sorry. :( I have tried to add emoticons when I think it helps.)

Edited by Tibbel

Mr Robot's log is kinda useless except for DPS. Sites like TORParse is better since you see the execution time for each skill as well.

After the change to armor debuff no longer stacking, every sniper I know does more damage in Lethality compared to MM by at least 10%. If the simulation software doesn't show this, then it is simulating 'robot', rather than player actions.

I believe the 'quality of life' issue for MM requires a simple fix : reduce the cooldown of Ambush to 9 seconds. The MM rotation will then be reduced to :

SoS -> Ambush ->FT -> X -> X -> Snipe -> FT.

This is better rotation for human to use. Currently, the 'best rotation' require Ambush to be moved in the rotation from cycle to the next. Added in movement and it becomes almost impossible to execute.

A quick disclaimer: I have not read the entirety of this topic, only the last couple pages and skimmed the rest. Also, although I have a sniper, I'm a gunslinger main, so apologies for any terminology swaps.

My opinion on this probably reflects closest to what Svii said a page back. If we're talking which spec has the most DPS output on average, I'd probably be leaning slightly more towards a DF or DF/Sab hybrid than SS. I can't really comment too heavily on Sab itself. However, if we're talking which spec is the "best" PvE Ops spec currently, my answer is a lot more convoluted and falls towards SS in a lot more categories than most people seem to give it credit for. In all honesty, it really frustrates me when people blatantly start shouting to new gunslingers that DF is the end-all, be-all of endgame content. It's probably part of the reason why we have so many sub-par gunslingers/snipers running around (aside from the obvious reasons that plague every class).

As a DF/Sab gunslinger, I *can* pull higher numbers more consistently than SS if I really try. In fact, there is probably even more room for error in a DF/Sab rotation than there is as SS if you're comparing to an optimal rotation. Unfortunately, that's about all I can give credit to DF/Sab for. Sure, it has better SUSTAINED mobility, but no fights require sustained movement during high DPS phases. The extent of *required* movement on any fight is in the realm of 1 or 2 GCDs, which any spec can handle just fine. There is a reason why most "burn phases" on bosses have always been more like Soa or Kephess "incapacitated" phases than anything else. They're easier to balance multiple classes/specs around.

SS is great for a few reasons. It's by far the easiest spec to manage energy in. While this is not a huge selling point when we're coming here to talk about Nightmare Ops and veteran players, it's something I think too many people overlook when relaying information to newer players. A lot of people have issues at first when trying to grasp the energy system in this game and how it will GREATLY affect your long term DPS, and jumping right into a spec known for quickly energy starving the player can lead to frustrations very quickly. Again, I realize this is not a selling point for upper endgame players, just a small tangent I found myself on.

That said, SS can still do comparable DPS to other classes while offering far superior burst on key fight phases. In my experience with multiple guilds and groups, it is far easier to push an enrage timer on most fights than it is to push mechanics. What I mean is, if a guild is within a few %'s of hitting enrage on Kephess or the Tanks, that's not a huge deal. It can be fixed with a few adrenals or sloppy death kills while the group gets a bit more gear. On the other side, things like not being able to kill Bombardiers quickly enough is a raid killer. I would gladly sacrifice ~100 overall DPS to guarantee a Bombardier kill every time, which is often what speccing SS vs. DF comes down to.

In the end, I tend to spec SS any time I feel like I'm going to be needing to do any type of "helping" or "carrying" in an Ops. Even if its just one or two people that are slow on mechanics, or a bad group comp with below average DPS classes, I feel far more capable of pulling "more than my own weight" as SS, while still offering excellent DPS. If I feel like I can settle back a little and only go for pure damage, I'll spec DF/Sab and focus more on trying to perfect my rotations and beating personal bests. I'll be honest though....I really don't often see huge discrepancies between the two specs on the average.

Edited by Synavix

Live parses show me that Lethality comes out ahead of Marksman. Parsing on the dummy I can get close to Lethality as marksman, (~50 dps) but that is best case scenario where I remain stationary. There are almost no boss fights that allow you to turret-up. Every Boss fight has a stage that requires you to move within a split second.

There are just too many abilities in Marksman that are not instant cast. If you are in the middle of SOS, snipe or ambush and a Red Circle lands on you, you do not have the time to complete that ability, and you are required to get out of cover move and set up cover again, this is a DPS loss. If you don't use those abilities because you know a movement phase is coming-You lose DPS.

When I run dummy parses while contstantly moving stopping only long enough to channel 1 ability, Lethality comes out way ahead. Sims can not replicate a Boss fight with movement, they replicate a turret fight.

I wish Marksman was better DPS because I like the ability to hit big and switch targets, But for min-maxing, it's can't currently compete with Lethality

MM can plenty compete with lethality in live fights *because* of up time and movement. In those same scenarios you could have a red circle pop up under you during a OS (which takes us 3s instead of 2) a SOS, or even worse a cull which would be a massive dps loss for you.

MM can still cast snipe > followthrough on the move, along with EP and CD. For instance running between the two droids on kephess I would always pop a insta-snipe > followthrough > CD while moving between them if I had the energy. With leth all I do there is re-apply dots and wb so I can cull as soon as I land.

MM Also benefits during fights like vorgath and FB / SC where you have a ton of target switching due to low hp adds. Lethality cant even throw a CG inside those shields without risking the generator so you're limited to playing like a MM sniper that isn't specced mm.

Lethality does more sustained dmg but MM does more immediate dmg, basically meaning the more you're carrying a raids dps the better lethality is. Once you end up in a raid where everyone is carrying their weight MM is VERY competitive with lethality because your sustained dps is no longer destroying the MM snipers numbers simply because the fights lasting forever.

loltibbel

As much as I find MM lackluster by comparison I'm not so ignorant to automatically presume in live content that it can't be competitive with leth.

The world of dummy dps is far different than an actual raid (with me still basing my stance that MM dummy dps caps out around 1750 dps based on a limited number of parses done by several people and no one ever proving otherwise).

I really should get to making those mm parses for comparison purposes but I honestly find myself wanting to log into swtor less and less now that my guild poofed and there's no other comparable guilds on my server... le sigh.

MM can plenty compete with lethality in live fights *because* of up time and movement. In those same scenarios you could have a red circle pop up under you during a OS (which takes us 3s instead of 2) a SOS, or even worse a cull which would be a massive dps loss for you.

MM can still cast snipe > followthrough on the move, along with EP and CD. For instance running between the two droids on kephess I would always pop a insta-snipe > followthrough > CD while moving between them if I had the energy. With leth all I do there is re-apply dots and wb so I can cull as soon as I land.

MM Also benefits during fights like vorgath and FB / SC where you have a ton of target switching due to low hp adds. Lethality cant even throw a CG inside those shields without risking the generator so you're limited to playing like a MM sniper that isn't specced mm.

Lethality does more sustained dmg but MM does more immediate dmg, basically meaning the more you're carrying a raids dps the better lethality is. Once you end up in a raid where everyone is carrying their weight MM is VERY competitive with lethality because your sustained dps is no longer destroying the MM snipers numbers simply because the fights lasting forever.

I have to disagree. Every one of the situations you mentioned that MM is better than Lethality are phases that are designed to be breaks anyway. Destroying the mobs under the shield by the time the shield is destroyed is really easy and bringing a MM sniper just for that is ridiculous. The same applies to the droids in Kephess. MM also suffers from the chance of having an aoe popping under you when they cast ambush, snipe, sos, or orbital. At least lethality has its dots to combat missing an attack due to movement. A MM has nothing to do damage while they can't use skills.

Then there is your argument about lethality being worse if your fights last shorter. This is a logical flaw. Marksman snipers do more damage than lethality snipers for the first couple sec of a fight, but even over the course of 30 sec, a lethality sniper will surpass a marksman sniper. So really the only time when a marksman sniper will put up more dps than a lethality one is on trash pulls. Bringing a marksman sniper just for trash pulls is ridiculous.

Really the only fight in which lethality could pose a problem is on Toth and Zorn, if the positioning is terrible and the sniper gets destroyed by fearful.

The 2nd boss of denova, AoE is not even a problem because you can just cover pulse the dudes out from the shield.

What really is the problem, is the inconsistent results of fearful debuff when having dots placed on zorn. Of course you should not have fearful debiff n the first place, but people seem to report that it either does nothing to the, or instantly kills them when a dots ticks on zorn wi fearful debuff. For these reasons people just switch to MM.

The 2nd boss of denova, AoE is not even a problem because you can just cover pulse the dudes out from the shield.

What really is the problem, is the inconsistent results of fearful debuff when having dots placed on zorn. Of course you should not have fearful debiff n the first place, but people seem to report that it either does nothing to the, or instantly kills them when a dots ticks on zorn wi fearful debuff. For these reasons people just switch to MM.

It should never be the case that you get fearful as a ranged dps. It is a mistake in positioning, not a glitch, that causes ranged dps to get fearful.

I completely agree with bbare, except I don't find Toth and Zorn to be an issue with lethality.

Right before the jump occurs I always switch to targetting Toth. I will put 1 rotation on Toth, Toth will cleanse your dots off Zorn before he gives him the Fearful marker. After 1 rotation on Toth , Zorn will no longer give Fearful and I switch back to Zorn. This way the distance to Zorn is never an issue. This tactic works for both MM or Lethality just as easy.

Another Tactic I like to do is drop Orbital strike between Zorn and where Toth will land and move away to 35 meters and let OS hit them both.

I've only seen this occur when you have lingering toxins spec'd. Toth Clears Zorn's Dots , Lingering toxins resets them, giving you fearful if you are in range. I don't spec lingering toxins because I'd rather refresh my dots before they fall off , and lingering toxins is a DPS loss in PVE.

@Bbare: I wish you would've played in my raid so you could have consistently gotten outdps'd by a few MM snipers. No one in the raid was pulling less than 1500 dps during live parses, most people 1600+ including the MM sniper who was always top 2 on the meter.

I'm gonna sound like tibbel for a second here but *maybe you and the people you play with aren't using MM to its greatest effect during live combat*.

@notomorrow: You can cover pulse assuming you have no melees in the shield with you... Even then you're on 3 separate targets. Not optimal for Lethality as its a single target spec.

There is no bug on fearful... the mechanic is simple

Toth jumps to zorn

Zorns dots get wiped during the jump (if you have lingering toxins like a good lethality sniper, the dots get re-applied in their weak form)

everyone within 25 meters of where **********TOTH********** lands gets fearful

If you have fearful you take a buttload of dmg every time you hit zorn. (on hard mode, on normal mode you just take increased dmg from zorn)

No bugs.

Edited by Shecrazy

@Bbare: I wish you would've played in my raid so you could have consistently gotten outdps'd by a few MM snipers. No one in the raid was pulling less than 1500 dps during live parses, most people 1600+ including the MM sniper who was always top 2 on the meter.

I'm gonna sound like tibbel for a second here but *maybe you and the people you play with aren't using MM to its greatest effect during live combat*.

@notomorrow: You can cover pulse assuming you have no melees in the shield with you... Even then you're on 3 separate targets. Not optimal for Lethality as its a single target spec.

There is no bug on fearful... the mechanic is simple

Toth jumps to zorn

Zorns dots get wiped during the jump (if you have lingering toxins like a good lethality sniper, the dots get re-applied in their weak form)

everyone within 25 meters of where **********TOTH********** lands gets fearful

If you have fearful you take a buttload of dmg every time you hit zorn. (on hard mode, on normal mode you just take increased dmg from zorn)

No bugs.

"Your raid" isn't the best way to test if lethality is better than marksman, lol. Just because your marksman snipers are better than your lethality snipers, it doesn't mean that lethality is better than marksman. Maybe your lethality snipers aren't as skilled. Maybe your lethality snipers have less gear. Maybe your lethality snipers don't have their stats itemized correctly. It is pretty obvious that lethality has more uptime than marksman. Most parses on the operations dummy conclude that lethality is slightly better than marksman. Thus, we can assume that lethality will be better for raiding. It is a fact that marksman is better for phases like the shield on Firebrand and the Pulser Droid on Kephess, but those phases are meant to be "down phases" to allow resource regeneration. No one is going to wipe in those phases because they chose a lethality sniper over a marksman sniper.

(if you have lingering toxins like a good lethality sniper, )

I'll have to disagree with you on this: In PVE if you let 1 tick of lingering toxins hit your target you aren't doing your primary job as Lethality, that is to keep your 2 dots(at max strength) on the target at all times.(CC permitting) Lingering toxins are for lazy people who don't pay attention to their buffs and messed up their timing, or PVP where players will cleanse Dots.

If you can't keep your dots on target because of energy problems, maybe you should use rifle shots for all your fillers or switch to another spec until you have the correct gear. Even rifle shot as fillers will give better DPS then using lingering toxins.

1. Use both Dots at full strength

2. Cull and WB whenever they are up

3. Use correct fillers to manage energy until dots need re-applied.

I'll have to disagree with you on this: In PVE if you let 1 tick of lingering toxins hit your target you aren't doing your primary job as Lethality, that is to keep your 2 dots(at max strength) on the target at all times.(CC permitting) Lingering toxins are for lazy people who don't pay attention to their buffs and messed up their timing, or PVP where players will cleanse Dots.

If you can't keep your dots on target because of energy problems, maybe you should use rifle shots for all your fillers or switch to another spec until you have the correct gear. Even rifle shot as fillers will give better DPS then using lingering toxins.

Lingering Toxins is not meant to be a replacement for reapplying DoTs in a standard rotation, it's for when you have to switch targets. Your lingering toxins will continue to tick on the non-focused targets, providing you with more DPS. Even if you claim you never have a use for it, there is not a single talent you could be taking in its place in a PvE spec to get Weakening Blast otherwise. Your choices would be PvP slows or CC breakers.

In regards to your "counter" on add phases all being regen phases (thus making a MM spec pointless), it's correct in some instances, but not always. The adds HP on shield phases of tanks is designed to take you the entirety of the duration of the phase *if* your group's burst is roughly equal to the overall DPS needed to beat the enrage timer. While this makes the phase simple for a progressed group, new groups that are under geared or progressing won't find this the case. In a purely speculative capacity, this won't be the case in Nightmare Mode for lower DPS groups either. Bombardiers on Kephess is also most definitely *not* a regen phase, and greatly favors MM. No other way to put it.

The truth is, Shecrazy and Tibbel are right in that different players are going to have different successes with the different specs, but anyone claiming that one is purely better than the other for everyone is just very close minded or hasn't seen a player that can play the other spec well. Until we see how different they make Nightmare Mode or the new Ops we won't be able to tell which will be better, but if it's anything like the current tier, both MM and Leth can pull higher-than-required DPS on every fight with similar gear.

This is what I'm seeing with my logs, the shorter the fight is the more DPS I manage to pull off as MM. I've logged my last 5 or 6 EC HM runs and each being roughly 10 seconds faster than the last.

If I'm doing everything right I don't have any downtime on the first two bosses, always spending energy. FB/SC especially, there is no reason to stop, you can sit on the tanks and shoot until you get knocked back, turn around and continue on the adds (because you land inside the shield). Snipe/FT/CD and nicely timed OS is excellent on the move to keep up DPS.

Using your abilities isn't even half the fight ^^

You can still CD -> WB -> Cull a single target.

I personally get more damage out of Lethality in raid, but there's an MM sniper that can usually beat me by a bit (varies with fight).

I'm pretty sure I just suck at MM for some reason (even though I think it's more fun than Lethality).

Edited by stuffystuffs

Lingering Toxins allows you to Cull at full strength on cooldown without losing Cull damage to full strength DoT expiration. Delaying Cull or having your Cull tick without your poisons present (because they expired) is a much bigger DPS loss. The only place where this is a detriment is on Nightmare Pilgrim, but I go MM for that.

Hi all, great discussion you have here. I don't play Sniper so I'm not going to weigh into the Leth vs. Marks debate or the Sim vs. Reality debate. I just find Simulation Craft to be a great way to rapid prototype gear and specs before trying them out in game. In fact I'm the guy that cleaned up SimCrafts Lethality spec, not because I know what I'm doing but through brute force: I took what was there and some basic logic, and applied a few hundred variations.

So if anyone is interested in what the Sim has to say, here's my effort for Marks. Any feedback would be appreciated because I got none at mmo-mechanics!

DPS: 1990

Profile: http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/character/69c49536-f6dd-457e-a0f0-a06f34742f93

actions=stim,type=exotech_skill
actions+=/coordination
actions+=/snapshot_stats
actions+=/take_cover,if=buff.take_cover.down
actions+=/use_relics
actions+=/power_potion
actions+=/adrenaline_probe,if=energy<46
actions+=/target_acquired
actions+=/laze_target
actions+=/sniper_volley,if=cooldown.series_of_shots.remains&buff.adrenaline_probe.down
actions+=/shatter_shot,if=buff.shatter_shot.remains<1.5&(energy>=75|cooldown.adrenaline_probe.remains<12)
actions+=/followthrough,if=buff.followthrough.up&(energy>=71|cooldown.adrenaline_probe.remains<12)
actions+=/series_of_shots,if=energy>=85|cooldown.adrenaline_probe.remains<12
actions+=/ambush,if=buff.reactive_shot.up&energy>=74|cooldown.adrenaline_probe.remains<12
actions+=/orbital_strike,if=(energy>=85|cooldown.adrenaline_probe.remains<12)&energy<=98
actions+=/takedown,if=energy>=85|cooldown.adrenaline_probe.remains<12
actions+=/snipe,if=(energy>=85|cooldown.adrenaline_probe.remains<12)&cooldown.followthrough.remains<=4.5&!buff.followthrough.remains
actions+=/corrosive_dart,if=!dot.corrosive_dart.ticking&(energy>=85|cooldown.adrenaline_probe.remains<12)
actions+=/explosive_probe,if=energy>=85|cooldown.adrenaline_probe.remains<12
actions+=/snipe,if=energy>=85|cooldown.adrenaline_probe.remains<12
actions+=/rifle_shot

Edited by acnoj

I found having higher crit than the old sim was saying as a dps increase in MM as well on live tests. (250-290~ish)

I would say its interesting that you have 12.8% accuracy over the extra surge. Can't comment much more than that as I haven't logged in in a couple weeks now, the raiding community on my server is pretty meh since the f2p announcement and I've kinda lost interest. No reason to worry about min-maxing etc when there's no one to use it with.

Kudos for fixing the leth sim though.

Edited by Shecrazy