Force of Wills: The Ties that Bind

Earthmama

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Drummond Kaas

Pierce was driving through the lower levels of Kaas city, the homes of merchants, soldiers, grunts whizzing past him. This is where the regular citizens lived, not powerful, not Sith, not noble, these were the streets he grew up on. He hadn’t been back in over 30 years, having been sent on assignment on far flung war torn planets, and more recently because he was the husband of a prominent Sith. He had avoided coming back, perhaps it was shame that kept him away. He pulled up to the small house he had grown up in, the roof sagged, the vegetables in the small garden had rotted on the vine and it stank of decomposition. He had made sure to send his mother money, so that she wouldn’t starve, so that she wouldn’t have to live like this. He clenched his fists.

He had been a young man, a boy really of 18 years, fresh from the academy, ready to do his part. He had been idealistic, proud. He aspired to be like his father, to perhaps even surpass him. Lieutenant James Arenson Pierce Senior wasn’t home when his son arrived in full dress uniform, clean shaven , a new private of the Imperial army. His mother had clucked and cooed over her handsome son, she assured young Jamie his father would be home shortly, to stay and have a drink. He grabbed a handful of fresh peas in their pods, sat on the stoop of his childhood home and snacked on the fresh crunchy and sweet little morsels while his mother fetched him a beer. He was a man after all. The soldiers came, with a Sith, mother and son bowed in deference and his body was thrown at their feet, the body of his father, nearly cut in two, grey eyes open and staring into oblivion. He stared at the body, then he looked up, into the face of the Sith, demanding an answer. His mother wailed and sobbed, James Pierce Junior would not shed a tear, not in front of these men.

“He shot and killed a council member, this dog is a traitor.” The Sith sneered at the broken family.

Every word hit Pierce in the gut as a physical blow, he looked back down at his father’s mangled corpse, a traitor. He kicked the body over, away and pulled his mother to him, knowing this was a test, knowing their actions would dictate if they would also die.

“Then he deserved his fate, and worse.” The young Pierce replied. Even as his heart broke over the loss of his father, he knew he meant every word. Why would his father bring this shame on him, on his mother, risk their lives? Anger replaced his sadness, and he shook his mother hard by the shoulders as she foolishly continued to sob.

The Sith smiled at him, and Pierce felt his stomach turn. “Brand them, they may keep their pathetic lives, make sure the private is assigned to a hot zone. Let him prove his worth or let him die trying."

He touched the long healed scar on his face. He had proved himself a dozen times over, a grenade blast having erased the prominent traitors mark he had earned that day. He opened the door to the decrepit house, the floor groaned under his weight. The house was a dusty mausoleum, nothing changed, blinking holo images of his father, of him as a child lined the mantle, a thick layer of dust covered everything. He climbed the stairs slowly, each one creaking in turn until he reached his parents bedroom. His mother sat in a rocking chair covered in piles of musty, moth eaten knitted blankets, a small ancient cat at her feet. She was tiny, frail, as if a wind would blow her away, the blankets the only things weighing her down. She wore a rebreather that did nothing to help her breath. Her breath came out in short wheezes. Her eyes went over him passively, assessing him, judging him. At 53 he was still a large and imposing man, his head was bald, Pierce choosing to shear all the hair away then wait for it all to fall out in turn, his beard was mostly grey now, specked with its former brown. He carried a small gut, a result of age and a slowing metabolism, as well as easy living and a fondness for beer. The eye that was not scared had deep laugh lines.

“Mum.”

“James.”

They stared at each other, the long years spanning between them.

“I should die more often if that’s what it takes to get my only son to visit me.” She wheezed out sardonically.

“You know why I couldn’t.” Guilt nipped at his heart. He couldn’t be seen entering the home of a known traitor, even if she was his widow. The traitors mark was a black mark, those who bore it were invisible, ignored, shunned by the rest of society, he had been lucky for the grenade accident. He had killed the other survivor, the last man in his unit that knew the truth of him. He had let his wound fester and **** until even a Kolto tank would not heal him, effectively erasing his own black mark. After that people didn’t dig to deeply into his past, into who his father was. He wasn’t volunteered for suicide missions nearly as much. He learned to survive. He learned to excel, he was recruited by black ops, he became elite and even earned his father’s rank.

“It’s about time you continued your fathers work. You are part of a long line of Pierce men, you were taken from me before your father or I could explain our family’s purpose.” She coughed, hard.

“What are you talking about mum? Dad killed a Sith, it was madness, what purpose could there be in that, in condemning us?” He knelt beside her.

“He did his duty, he did what had to be done.” She stared at him defiantly.

“You knew? You knew what he was going to do?”

“We had to move our plans up, he had wanted to tell you about your heritage first, but he couldn’t pass up the opportunity.” She pressed the rebreather to her face to calm a coughing fit, then threw it to the ground when it didn’t help her. She grasped his hand and pressed a small metal cube into it. Blood mixed with spittle dripped from her mouth. “You’re the last one now, you can rebuild, make it what it once was, not the farce it had become.”

“Mum, what, rebuild what?” He looked around for kolto, for anything that would ease her pain.

“The Star Cabal.” She grasped his hand, she was so frail. The ancient cat hopped up onto her lap and purred. She closed her eyes, her breathing still labored, but she smiled and the next moment the breathing stopped.

Pierce left her where she was, with her cat, wrapped in her blankets. He stepped out into the damp Kaas City air and breathed deeply. He would never return here, he wiped his eyes, guilt and confusion hung over his soul. He didn’t know what the Star Cabal was, but if it led to his father murdering a Dark Council member he knew it was dangerous. He pocketed the small data cube, unsure what to do with it, mounted his speeder and left the lower city.

Defender Class Starship

Meditation was a fruitless exercise, Kianna could not settle her heart, the dark side whispered in her ear. She could not find that anchor that the light side had provided for so many years. She put her head in her hands, she needed time to heal, she had been away under the Emperors thrall for a full year, his influence and darkness permeating every aspect of her being. The council did not allow her a respite, because of what she had said, because she had vouched for a Sith, a Sith that now made his home on her ship, he was there because she had invited him, and because she needed him. He reminded her daily that she was not Jedi, she was not whole, she struggled, with herself, with her emotions, flashes of memory would haunt her as she caught glimpses of the deeds she did. The anger coiled and festered and it was only with great difficulty she found a measure of control. Master Elliah had fought on her behalf, to allow Kianna time to heal and to find the light, to cleanse the effects of the Emperor. The council insisted there was no time for these measures, trust in the force. Now she was in hyperspace alone on a ship with a crew who did not trust her and a Sith who was not to be trusted. She didn’t blame her crew, friends, although she wasn’t sure that was a title they would use for her anymore, for not trusting her, they had suffered repetitive and systematic torture by her hands for a full year. Kira said she understood, having been a child of the emperor, having been forced to act against her will, but Kianna’s former padawan kept conversations civil and short. Doc and Rusk did not speak to her at all. Rusk, the ever vigilant soldier, would watch her with a steel gaze, like a guard, and Doc, he simply would not look. Kianna didn’t understand why he stayed. T7 would blip and whirr and assure her they were still great friends, but asked her daily not to put on another restraining bolt.

The question of why Doc remained gnawed at her; perhaps he stayed because he still cared? She allowed herself to hope, that maybe he just didn’t know how to broach the subject. Perhaps she was simply being too distant; she remembered their budding romance with fondness. She hoped that they might rekindle it, work past the hurt. Kianna would apologize, hope he would understand she had not hurt him on purpose, any of them, but she was still sorry for the pain they had suffered, that she had caused. Kianna wanted him to look at her with mischief and desire again, she wanted him to tease her, she even wanted him to call her Kiki. She was so lonely and an ally and a friend would be a soothing balm. Kianna made her way down the stairs of the ship, but stopped short at the med bay door when she heard Kira’s familiar giggle, followed by Doc’s easy chuckle, then breathing, gasps. Kianna looked, already knowing what she would see. Doc and Kira were locked in an embrace, they held each other tightly, Docs hands were in Kiras red hair, Kira’s arms wrapped tightly around his neck pulling him closer.

“That’s why you stayed.” Kianna whispered, barely audible.

“Kianna!” Kira pulled away suddenly, embarrassed. “Ki, Let me explain!”

“No Kira, it’s ok, I understand.” Kianna smiled a melancholy smile, what a fool she was.

“We only had each other, it’s not something we planned, and you were gone a long time.” This time it was Doc who spoke, who finally looked her in the eyes. “When she was assigned to you, I couldn’t leave her alone, not with an unstable soldier and two Si-“ Kira elbowed him hard in the ribs.

“She’s not, not anymore.” She looked back at her former master, “right?”

It took Kianna a time to form words, she had felt the blow of what Doc said like a slap in the face. “I am a Jedi.” Though the anger and sadness of the moment was difficult to deny, Kira watched her, also sensing the dark side that clung to her, like a stain on her soul.

“Are you sure? You’re still very…twisty…” Kira tried to find a tactful word to say unstable, twisty was the best she could do.

“It’s a work in progress, I wanted to stay on Tython to really heal, I’m not as strong as you Kira, I can’t just shrug off the will of the Emperor like a cold and move on with a quip and a smile.” Kianna regretted saying it the second it came out, jealousy and bitterness were ugly bedfellows. Kira just looked at her with pity. Frustration and anger flared again and she struggled to control it, she wanted to slap the serenity and happiness from her pretty face, just as she had wanted to rip the Jedi Council apart when they questioned her loyalty and resolve. No she wasn’t alright, she needed time, she needed help, but they would not give it to her, they set her loose on the Galaxy drifting with an impossible task, with people ill equipped to stop her if she succumbed to the siren call of the dark.

“I’m sorry, I’m glad you found each other, I’m happy for you both, really. I’m fine, I’ll be fine, and you, none of you have anything to fear from me.” Kianna forced out with a strained smile and fled back up the stairs, humiliated, her face burned red, she closed the door to her room behind her and the tears fell.

“You discovered them, the Doctor and the other Jedi? Their romance?” Lord Scourge stood in the middle of her room, his voice calm and deep like a well, but his words cut. Kianna frantically wiped the tears from her eyes, she would not show weakness to this Sith.

“What are you doing in my chamber?”Kianna demanded.

“I’m simply returning some of your personal effects that I saved from the Emperor.” He held up a locket and a small music disk and placed them on her bedside table. “You told me you loved him, when you were in the Emperors thrall, the doctor. Perhaps I’ve been cut off from my emotions for too long, but I don’t understand the appeal.”

“I’m not having this discussion with you.” Kianna said flatly as she opened the door and indicated he should leave.

“As you wish.” He nodded his head to her and exited her room.

Kianna breathed heavily, her hands shook, she picked up the locket and opened it, the holo image of her sister Shiloh and brother in law, Vector, flanking a young and innocent Kianna smiled back. The tears came until they blinded her, Kianna threw the locket across the room and it shattered against the wall. The image blinked then went out.

“I’m sorry, I’m sorry, I’m sorry.” Kianna ran to the broken locket, apologizing to it, to her friends, to everything and everyone she had hurt and disappointed, to a Galaxy she truly didn’t believe she could save. She gathered all the pieces, a hinge and compartment swung open, and a small data chip fell out. Kianna had never seen this compartment on her locket before. She held up the tiny chip to the light. Her brow creased, what was this? She called T7 up to her room.

Edited by Earthmama

That leaves me with a qustion may not be improved but who will Kianna romacane anybody like Rusk or Scourge or will remain alone or will there be a suprise?

Still feel bad for Kianna.:( I mean Doc and Kira and Jedi's are not helping her in fact making her feel worse.:mad:

Rusk and Scourge I can understand. Casue Scourge a sith lord and Rusk just a trooper.

Shadowtown

“Mal, stop twitching, you can think and calculate later.” Shiloh held his chin between thumb and finger, his skin was slick and greasy, mainly because she had rubbed butter into his face. She brought the razor back down onto his cheeks, careful of his tiny moles and continued to shave his face with their stolen razor. She cut his facial hair as closely as she could always careful, always tender. So much had changed over the 17 years they had been imprisoned, not only in themselves but in the nature of their imprisonment. Shiloh was still tortured on a monthly basis, her body ravaged with scars, her hands were almost always wrapped in bandages. The pain was nothing to her, and Lord Kaervrek was getting older, she wondered if he really was after the black codex or if this was now simply a hobby of his. All of her secrets, her personal demons, all her sins had been laid bare in an attempt to break her, yet she kept the information he wanted close to her heart. Quinn had asked her once, what it was he was after, knowing better, knowing they were watched she never told him, in part to protect him, and in part, because despite their deep affection for one another, she did not fully trust him.

Quinn tilted his head up so that Shiloh could better access the hair on his jaw and neck, the smooth metal gliding across his skin expertly. His blue eyes flicked open and he observed her, she was intent and focused. Malavai realized that he had now been with Shiloh longer than he had ever been with Ardyth. He never thought of his wife anymore except with contempt and hate. After seven years he had been given a holonet link to search for his eldest daughter. He searched, though not very hard. He didn’t have to, years ago he had set up a private account for his daughter as a safe guard, as a way to provide for her even though he couldn’t be there for her in person. There was an alert that would have automatically been sent to him if she ever opened the safety deposit box, at the time it was so he could reconnect with his child, now it would become a death sentence, he cursed his sentimentality. In the 23 years since her birth the alert had remained silent. By his calculations the credits he had left her, having accrued interest, now sat somewhere near three million.

“Done, go wash the butter off your face.” Shiloh ordered him. She stared after him, he was thin, but remained fit, his dark hair still thick and full on his head though it was peppered with grey, he was still a very handsome man.

They discovered years ago that 3 hours a day, at unspecified times, their cell was opened allowing them to stretch their legs. They could not leave their wing, which were all sensitive Imperial prisoners, many ex-intelligence, a former Moff, some officers, some politicians. All of them still had their uses but to the greater galaxy they were all on record as deceased. Every couple of weeks, a new prisoner would invariably give in to despair and commit suicide. Shiloh and Malavai were sometimes lucky enough to reach the cell and pilfer luxuries, such as razors, butter, pudding, bread, tea bags, they even stole a mattress and extra blankets. Shadowtown was kept uncomfortably cold, though not cold enough to cause hypothermia. They discovered they were by far the worst kept prisoners in their wing. The guards didn’t care, and let them keep their stolen comforts, though after so many years their biggest comfort was each other. Malavai emerged from the refresher, patting his face with a towel and Shiloh smiled at him.

“Dapper as ever.” He favored her with a crooked grin; he was even more handsome when he smiled. Her ghosts would sometimes appear, but they no longer spoke to her, Vector, her sweet Vector, had encouraged her to find solace and comfort in Quinn. She found herself falling in love with him, she felt guilty that she didn’t know when Vector stopped appearing to her. She felt worse that she could barely remember his face, but he was dead, and Quinn was alive, warm and present. He returned her affections, at first because of the primal need for contact and touch, later because he genuinely loved her as well.

He bent his head and kissed her lightly on the lips, “Thank you.” He held up her hands, and kissed her icy fingers, the dressing still smelled clean, the burn marks might actually be healing this time. He rubbed her hands with his own. She looked tired; the habitual torture took a toll on her, mainly her stamina, she was younger than him, but fragile, though she had an iron will. “Go rest under the covers, I’ll be along shortly.”

“I’m afraid she won’t have time for a rest.” A young Sith Pureblood strode up, “Hello father!” Two guards entered the cell and grabbed Shiloh, dragging her out. His stomach was in knots, he hated seeing her treated roughly, but he stood still, knowing if he tried to intervene, it would go worse for her, instead Quinn stared at the young Sith, arrogant, self assured, a shock of black hair, bright yellow eyes, his son.

“Marek.”

Marek’s lips curled and eyes narrowed, it was a face Quinn knew well, he had made it countless times when he was considered a loyal servant of the empire.

“Mother sends her hate, and asks that you kindly die already.” He turned on his heel and strode away with all the confidence of youth and power. Quinn didn’t know whether to be sick or proud.

Shiloh was brought to a different cell, instead of being strapped into a torture device, her hands were shackled behind her, and she was forced to sit on a hard metal chair, her slippers were removed and her feet placed in a deep bucket of ice cold water. She felt dread and fear, up until now the torture had been predictable, she knew what to expect, but Kaervrek wasn’t here today, his usual methods abandoned. From behind her a needle was plunged into her neck, her vision blurred immediately. Her thoughts became sluggish, after a time two figures came forward, one red, he reminded her of someone. The other was pale white, bald, with black tattoo’s adorning her face, her eyes were white grey.

“Lord Kaervrek is not here, he no longer has the luxury of time and requires the location of the black codex now, we will not be as kind, we will not draw this out, we will remain in this room until you deliver the information, or until you pass out. I have injected you with a truth serum, the effects will be fully present in a matter of minutes.” Her voice was melodic and soft, her face changed and shifted, it became Hunters face. The other, the red one, his eyes became black, pupiless, his skin lightened, until she was looking into the face of her love, his hands lifted and lightning flew from his fingers, Vector’s serene face twisted in a cruel grin as the electrical currents ravaged her body, split skin. Shiloh could only stare in horror as her body constricted and jerked, the world went black.

Cold water splashed her face and Shiloh sputtered. The red and white ones stared back at her, the Sith looking self satisfied, the Ratattaki intent.

“Shiloh, where is the Black Codex of the Star Cabal?” Lord Rateah asked her. She had needed to intervene when Marek electrocuted the subject, she had chastised him, they received no information is she died. She told him to pace himself, he had growled but obeyed.

“I broke it…into pieces. I sent the pieces away.” Shiloh’s lips moved, she spoke involuntarily, by sheer will she did not reveal everything; she didn’t know how long she could resist.

“How many pieces?” Teah placed a hand on the subjects shoulder, the force, the electricity coursed between them, Shiloh jerked and grunted.

“Four. Four pieces.”

“To whom did you give them?”

Shiloh saw Watcher X behind them, he shook his head, “Tell them something vague reveal no names, fight Agent, this serum will not affect you for much longer, you can resist.”

“I sent two pieces to the families of former Star Cabal members. One piece I sent to Tython, and one I hid with the protector.” Shiloh spoke, still against her will, she did not lie. Watcher X smiled at her, “Well done.”

“Riddles, she speaks in riddles.” Marek growled, he hated puzzles, he noticed that Teah was smiling, with a look of admiration on her face. She turned her grey eyes to him, and nodded.

“Now you can hurt her. A little, do not kill her, and do not let her lose consciousness.” Rateah dictated to the impatient younger Sith.

Marek unleashed on Shiloh, she screamed, and his heart sang in the music she made, all too soon, Rateah ordered him to stop.

“Names, Shiloh, give me names.”

“Not a chance.” Shiloh smiled at the Ratattaki, she thought of Kaliyo, wondered if she had got herself killed yet. The serum no longer held her mind captive, the Sith’s pretty lips curled, Shiloh would kiss her if she could. They were rather lovely lips.

“Bring her back to your father.”

“Does she have to be conscious?” Marek asked maliciously.

Teah looked from the Chiss to Kaervreks grandson. He lacked patience and focus, his emotions were still scattered and wild with the first tastes of power, he smiled at her a feral roguish grin. She winked at him and nodded, choosing to indulge him.

“Don’t kill her.” She warned and left the room. Shiloh’s screams quickly filled the air.

Quinn always struck me as being species-est, but that was mostly from his conversations in game and how he'd react sometimes to certain aliens, while I was out questing with him. I could have been reading to much into it, so for me it was kind of neat seeing that he did form a relationship with Shiloh.

Quinn always struck me as being species-est, but that was mostly from his conversations in game and how he'd react sometimes to certain aliens, while I was out questing with him. I could have been reading to much into it, so for me it was kind of neat seeing that he did form a relationship with Shiloh.

Yes, I always got the impression he is a model speciesist Imperial. But I imagine even he could lower his standards somewhere in the course of seventeen years, especially after all the effort Ardyth went through to break him in general.

I'll echo the sentiment that "Mal" is perhaps one of the most surprising intimacies I've ever read with regard to Quinn.

I thought long and hard about how Quinn would change after spending so many years in prison, he's much more relaxed and forgiving.

After 17 years in a cell, Quinn has re-evaluated his values and the meaning of duty. Despite his best efforts at being "the perfect Imperial" in the end it meant nothing, all of his accomplishments and service mean nothing because his legacy has been tainted from being branded a traitor. He's learned to let a lot of things go, including propriety, this is the longest relationship he's ever been in, they literally live on top of each other. He didn't like it, at first, but realized it was his issue, and what did it matter if she called him by his first name, it was his name, it's not like he commanded any subordinates anymore, there was no reason for any of it. The habits he's kept, he kept because he wanted to, not because he felt he needed to or because that's what was expected of him, which were big motivating factors in his younger years. He's discovered that he is a loving and tender man, his only regret isn't being forced out of the military, it's not being there for his children.

He could have either continued to be a speciest jack hole and disdainful of her species, or he could have engaged her, talked to her and discover her as a person, not just an alien. Think American History X while Edward Norton's character is in jail and he befriends a black man, (also INCREDIBLE film if you've never seen it) he eventually lets go of the racism when he discovered that lo and behold, this black man is a person, in the exact same ****** situation who has his own fears and strengths and maybe he wasn't right after all.

As for Shiloh calling him "Mal" She's a tough girl, and will call him whatever she wants, and Quinn let's her, because he doesn't care anymore and he loves her.

I love the thought you've put into your characters growth over so much time. I can imagine the first time Shyloh called him Mal, did he get that disdainful look at first and realize it didn't matter? or did he realize that was the name she alone would call him and he loved her more for it.

I have not gone that far into the future with mine. I'm still less than ten years out from the end of chapter 3. Now I have to go think about it :D <3

He could have either continued to be a speciest jack hole and disdainful of her species, or he could have engaged her, talked to her and discover her as a person, not just an alien. Think American History X while Edward Norton's character is in jail and he befriends a black man, (also INCREDIBLE film if you've never seen it) he eventually lets go of the racism when he discovered that lo and behold, this black man is a person, in the exact same ****** situation who has his own fears and strengths and maybe he wasn't right after all.

As for Shiloh calling him "Mal" She's a tough girl, and will call him whatever she wants, and Quinn let's her, because he doesn't care anymore and he loves her.

I remember the whole growth and development that Ed Norton's character goes through in that film, and I do recall that he didn't actually start out as that extreme in some of his pre-Skinhead days. Been awhile since I've seen it, I might pull it off the shelf to rewartch at some point.

That and I love the amount of thought you put into your characters, whether they be npcs or the player characters.

I love the thought you've put into your characters growth over so much time. I can imagine the first time Shyloh called him Mal, did he get that disdainful look at first and realize it didn't matter? or did he realize that was the name she alone would call him and he loved her more for it.

I have not gone that far into the future with mine. I'm still less than ten years out from the end of chapter 3. Now I have to go think about it :D <3

He laughed because of how he would have reacted before if anyone else would have used a nick name on him, and welcomed it because for a long time he was a place holder for Vector, and sometimes in her hallucinations Shiloh would call him by Vectors name. The first time they were intimate neither of them were thinking of the other person, they were thinking of who they didn't have. So her calling him Mal, she kinda claimed him as her own, recognized him as new and different, and not just a warm body to hold onto as she thought of Vector, he accepted her calling him Mal, because it's a name Ardyth would never have called him, even in jest.

I think I have a thing for names, and nick names, Mal, Kiki....I wonder if anyone else will earn a loaded nickname?

Edit: Ava vs Avacynne. Yep I have a weird name/nickname theme that happened totally by accident.

Edited by Earthmama

Speaking of Kiki... (that's Kiyana right?) do you have a screenshot of her or a description? i keep thinking of that scene with Doc and Kira, I wanted to draw her, if that's ok with you.

You just gave me chills!!! I would be honored!!! (MOAR EXCLAMATION POINTS TO INDICATE HAPPINESS!!!!!!!!)

Yes Kiki is Kianna.

I don't have a screen shot. I can take one, but a quick description: body type 2, Chiss but a lighter blue vs dark, with the freckle face, freckles are dark blue, black shoulder length hair 2 or 3 hair choice if I remember correctly, cute button nose, and full lips. I think my only really full descriptor of her was back in Part one when she was 7 and still skinny and awkward.

I'll try and get a screen shot of her for you. That being said, I would love to see your interpretation of her, what you see in your minds eye when you read her.....that would be cool.

Edited by Earthmama