Is there any use to Vicious Slash after I get Massacre?

anwg

So leveling a carnage marauder, almost to level 40 now, from looking at the abilities massacre seems to be an upgrade to vicious slash in every way? So should I just take VS off the hotbar?

Also, is rupture worth using?

Edited by anwg

So leveling a carnage marauder, almost to level 40 now, from looking at the abilities massacre seems to be an upgrade to vicious slash in every way? So should I just take VS off the hotbar?

It replaces the skill. I take vicious slash off the bars when I play carnage. Plus, massacre animation is way cooler looking (specially with berserk up).

Rupture is pretty much only worth using against a stealther that you want to keep visible. Even then, it only lasts 6 seconds, so you'll have to "predict" the Vanish a bit, and hope they don't have a way to cleanse it like Shroud.

It doesn't see a lot of use on my Mara.

No rupture, no vicious slash...you use massacre, force scream, batt assault, ravage. When not using those you save rage for finishers, slows and the oh so important saber throw root that comes in the carnage pvp spec.

If you want to use VS or Rup then just roll annihilation.

acterly after the gore buff ends ur enemy will get its damege reduction v ur attacks but not ruptures internal part so yea rupture is still useful as it does more damege than massicar wen gore is not on. (if i remember right after working out the maths) n only costs 2 rage too

No rupture, no vicious slash...you use massacre, force scream, batt assault, ravage. When not using those you save rage for finishers, slows and the oh so important saber throw root that comes in the carnage pvp spec.

If you want to use VS or Rup then just roll annihilation.

This^^

acterly after the gore buff ends ur enemy will get its damege reduction v ur attacks but not ruptures internal part so yea rupture is still useful as it does more damege than massicar wen gore is not on. (if i remember right after working out the maths) n only costs 2 rage too

No.

Rupture is not a good DPR or DPGCD skill without buffs from the Annihilation skill tree.

From a purely tooltip perspective, Rupture looks useful, but the tooltip does not account for the automatic Ataru form strike on Massacre, or the Enraged Slash talent that's basically table stakes for all Annihilation and Carnage Marauders.

It also doesn't account for the Massacre buff to Ataru proc rate.

So cost-wise they're actually equal, and a 30% buff to Ataru proc rate over 4 GCDs means that, statistically, you should gain an extra Ataru attack before the Massacre buff wears (assuming, of course, that you're using attacks that can proc Ataru hits), and that extra Ataru attack together with the guaranteed Ataru strike on Massacre will yield more total damage than Rupture.

As was said above, Rupture is really only useful for trying to pre-empt a mid-combat Vanish, but its short duration makes that tricky. As a rage dump, Massacre is a better choice.

Edited by Omophorus

No.

Rupture is not a good DPR or DPGCD skill without buffs from the Annihilation skill tree.

From a purely tooltip perspective, Rupture looks useful, but the tooltip does not account for the automatic Ataru form strike on Massacre, or the Enraged Slash talent that's basically table stakes for all Annihilation and Carnage Marauders.

It also doesn't account for the Massacre buff to Ataru proc rate.

So cost-wise they're actually equal, and a 30% buff to Ataru proc rate over 4 GCDs means that, statistically, you should gain an extra Ataru attack before the Massacre buff wears (assuming, of course, that you're using attacks that can proc Ataru hits), and that extra Ataru attack together with the guaranteed Ataru strike on Massacre will yield more total damage than Rupture.

As was said above, Rupture is really only useful for trying to pre-empt a mid-combat Vanish, but its short duration makes that tricky. As a rage dump, Massacre is a better choice.

If you're soloing content it can be useful to pop a rupture when you're about to go into a force choke on an elite mob. Such a narrow use though.

At low levels I find Rupture/Choke provides utility when the big hitters are all on cool down, or when a healer is almost burned down and I want to finish them before they can pop a medpack or something. But at higher levels, I expect it will come off rotation.

If you aren't using Rupture in pvp as any spec, you are doing it wrong. It's more situational, but still worth a keybind. Good for those times you know you are about to get CC'd, or you are about to choke someone, you are about to los someone, vanish and let it tic while you are invisible, hit through certain defenses, etc.

As for Vicious Slash after you get Massacre? I really see no need to, or use Riposte (other than when the stars align) for that matter, since we are talking about useless stuff.

If you aren't using Rupture in pvp as any spec, you are doing it wrong. It's more situational, but still worth a keybind. Good for those times you know you are about to get CC'd, or you are about to choke someone, you are about to los someone, vanish and let it tic while you are invisible, hit through certain defenses, etc.

As for Vicious Slash after you get Massacre? I really see no need to, or use Riposte (other than when the stars align) for that matter, since we are talking about useless stuff.

In every single one of those cases, I can't justify Rupture being worth more than the GCD wasted using it. <.<

In every single one of those cases, I can't justify Rupture being worth more than the GCD wasted using it. <.<

Like I said, it is situational. You will not use it all the time before doing that stuff. It is still worth putting on your bar though.