Nadia Grell. Please just get rid of her! (Consular class story spoilers)

winterjane

Also... -never- make a Sith Inquisitor.

I like being a Sith Inquisitor, but the only companions I depended on where Khem and Talos, and to a lesser degree Andronikos. I never understood the purpose or the supposed appeal of Ashara and I don't believe in interspecies relationships :cool:

Xalek seems cool but, as you say, he comes too late to be of any use. For my dailies (making money to support my Legacy) I depend on Khem and occasionally Talos (interesting dude).

On the long run, I hope to equip all my companions at max.

Playing my Agent, I still wonder what to do with Ensign Temple. Maybe I should romance her, but only when I run into a nice customization.

On my Bounty Hunter, I am indeed, as one board member already remarked, a little annoyed by Mako's criticism of me being bad. That's why I sometimes dismiss her when I think the conversation goes into such a direction (unless I expect a fight.)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok. Just thought you might care to know, and file if you file comments, that after doing the Javelin quest I'm giving up on my class quest after working hard to get his far. The reason? Simply that Nadia Grell has been forced on me as a 'super special' companion over whom my character is allowed no control at all, and I just find it too irritating. The other companions are OK (well apart from the sad teenage-boy-pleasing addition of Holiday to Tharan), but Nadia beggars belief. She's everything a badly-designed npc can be - perky teenage girl who suddenly develops superpowers that outshine those of 'the hero', all the other npcs go on and on about how super special she is as she blithely ignores orders (including one not to commit murder for goodness' sake); while a consular plays out years of training, this Mary Sue npc needs none at all just miraculously becomes a fully functional jedi in the space of two days - and was in my case forced on a hero who said point blank I did not want her on my ship. Because my healer consular, oddly, doesn't want a murderer who ignores her orders around.

Firstly you are a Jedi, which means you follow orders, even ones you don't like, this is part of the basics of your character. Secondly I got her to obey orders and not kill, so my Nadia isn't a killer, a bit disturbed but not a killer.

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't had the patients to read past the first 5 or so posts, so apologies if the following has already been said.

The complaints about Nadia I think miss the point. The personality traits some people don't like about Nadia are supposed to be who she is, gee wiz.

As with anything if it really is that big of a deal to you, you have a few choices: 1. stop playing the game or re-roll a different character, 2. Get over it and realize that's what an rpg is about. Nadia is a gray force user, her abilities were always known, so yeah she's more powerful but she's also undisciplined which is why the Basen'thor is a good teacher. Nadia wouldn't have cut it at the academy. Nadia's character is supposed to be that overly perky naive young adult type to play opposite to the consular's calm almost stoic demeanor. She's the contrast to the other 4 companions and the Basen'thor. She makes life aboard ship less gloom and doom. Also of all the other companions it was a tragic accident that she ended up being a companion. I read up on my companions and of them all Nadia was the one I found to be the most interesting and the only one I was interested in playing with. The other 4 are a bit one dimensional to me. 3. Don't like the way something is, then go make your own. It's that simple. Go learn how to code, learn animation, take several graduate level psych courses and make your own science fiction MMORPG.

I never understood people that propose to speak for everyone else. Make a "strong" female character, folks will have problems with that too, and they do. But don't sit there and say "real" women/girls don't have Nadia's personality. You undercut your own argument using that premise.

I like Nadia as well, she's my favorite companion on my shadow. I have her in full 78's since she has proven so useful. Then again, my shadow is my favorite character followed closely by my assassin.

The companion I loathe is Theran. WORST. HEALING. COMPANION. EVER. He's as useless as tìts on a bull. Occasionally I bring him out thinking that a healing companion might be nice for a tough fight, but then I go back to using Nadia since Theran sucks so much.

Edited by Lord_Noch

You are of course right - she had no real training like the other Jedis and I remember when in episode 1 Yoda said that Anakin would be too old to be teached and trained as Jedi.

I must admit I use her frequently and it is practical that she can use my old mods when I am upgrading my armor. Although the only companion for the consular that I like is Zenith at least I am not really annoyed by her. Can't say the same of Tharan though.

I really wish they would add an option to remove a companion from the ship/crew. Even if it would only work after the end of the class story.

We Inquisitors will be more then happy to trade you Ashara

Nah, she's fine... You just has to know how to cook her.

But the problem is that that ***** doesn't like even half the gifts at least a half as other like few.

Also... -never- make a Sith Inquisitor. Ashara does -not- listen to your teachings unless you are basically a Jedi wannabe

You're making a strange meal here. Mine's very much listening... And I'm Dark V soon.

Time to check the recipe?

and Xalek, my favorite Inquisitor companion and your true apprentice, doesn't happen until CORELLIA (good job Bioware, for stalling my best companion until the planet I don't need him!).

But... but... you DO have Khem Val... do you?

Edited by AnrDaemon

• 1 month later...

I think Nadia Grell is the best female companion in the game. And they don't force her on to you more than other companions.

About Nadia being insecure, it's not weird at all. She's strong in the force, which is unusual for a sarkhai. And that's problably why she's in love with the male consular. He's accepting her for what she is, not pushing her away as her own people did. Besides that, her father got murdered.

And my Nadia haven't murdered a single person, so I don't know what you're talking about. Finally, it's not hard to understand why Nadia sometimes find it hard to control the force. She didn't get her jedi training as a child as they recommend, and that's why its harder for her to control it. I think she's awesome.

"As Force sensitives are relatively unknown on Sarkhai, Nadia's untrained powers left her shunned and feared by her own people."

"Shunned by her friends and silently feared by her people, Nadia became shielded by her father."

"Force-users were practically unheard of on her homeworld, rendering Nadia as a freak in the eyes of her people."

Edited by OskarWallberg

Dunno about Nadia Grell, but let us throw out our C2-N2 droid out of the ship. He offence me all the time when I get to the ship with my "Body Type 4" alt.

"C2-N2 is also programmed with advanced etiquette protocols which allow him to tend to each member of a ship’s crew on an individual basis. This includes being able to prepare specialized meals to cater to a crewmember’s particular tastes or dietary needs."

This "thing" always saying that Im fat and I need a diet. Cant I eat my bacon and fries ffs :mad: Stupid droid. I hate it.

Uncertian if the republuc droid says this or not, but I get creeped out every time my imperial characters are offered a foot massage by their droid with his creepy droid claw hands...

I actually think Nadia Grell was a good choice for a JC female companion. JC's stereotypically are supposed to be zen-like, calm and epaceful and having a peaceful diplomat type noblewoman seems to fit this. I admit that my Bounty Hunter and DS Sith Warrior would have flushed her out into space but she certainly compliments my LS JC just fine. Plus I find her painted face look to be exotically beautiful thus OOC I tolerate her more than Mako or Raina.

She certainly isn't as out of place as say Mako, Doc, Akaavi, Kaliyo or Vette and she certainly belongs more in a JC group than Tharan, Qyzen or Zenith. She is one of the few romanceable companions I felt Bioware got right and therefore am currently dating her with my male LS JC.

You are of course right - she had no real training like the other Jedis and I remember when in episode 1 Yoda said that Anakin would be too old to be teached and trained as Jedi.

I must admit I use her frequently and it is practical that she can use my old mods when I am upgrading my armor. Although the only companion for the consular that I like is Zenith at least I am not really annoyed by her. Can't say the same of Tharan though.

I really wish they would add an option to remove a companion from the ship/crew. Even if it would only work after the end of the class story.

First off I can't help but feel that depending no how you convo her she is meant to play out like Anakin. After all forget when/where it was mentioned but I recall BW revealing they wanted the JC storyline to be reminiscent of Obi-Wan Kenobi.

On another note, I prefer her voice over most of the other females and a slightly unconfident/submissive-at-times female doesn't bug me at all. Not after having been in a relationship with too many females pretending to be confident and strong. At least she doesn't feel fake to me. I can't comment on the not killing part as I haven't got there yet. However since I see her as modeled slightly after Anakin I almost expect some disobedience and I definitely expect the younger love appeal from her unlike other companions. At least she doesn't feel like a younger sister I have to romance ala Bounty Hunter.

• 1 year later...
I love Nadia. It really surprises me that she gets so much hate when there are much more hateable characters *looks at Corso the sexist redneck, Quinn the you-know-what and Skadge the... Just friggin terrible*

I"m middle of the road with Nadia. I've finished her line on my female sage, but my male shadow hasn't gotten very far, and not far enough to romance her. For my Sage, I agree wholeheartedly with the OP about her being too Mary Sue. Not enough to hate Nadia, but more than enough to find her anoying. For my shadow, Nadia is perhaps the only companion I might never romance. My shadow is a grown man, and Nadia comes across as a 14 year old girl and the thought of the two of them together is just creepy.

I've know enough southern gentlemen to not be bothered by Corso's mannerisms. I'm rather fond of him in a Labrador puppy kind of way.

I think Quinn is the most interesting and complex companion we have and his plight is quite tragic. Talk about being caught between a rock and a hard place. :(

Skadge grew on me. Not enough to like him though, but enough to not hate him.

I used to hate Ashara, but I've softened on her. She is just sooo whiny! However, I'm pretty sure my dark V assassin was just toying with her and laughing at her behind her back throughout their whole romance. Realizing that made the relationship much more believable and entertaining. :p

The only ones I hate are Kaliyo and Holiday. Kaliiyo's betrayal is so much worse than Quinn's and you don't even get the chance to choke her near to death. Such a shame! Holiday wouldn't be too bad if it weren't for that god awful voice. Eww! I'd rather listen to Treek all day!

Fact is our comps are shoved into our crew. Worst example is Skadge. "Imma gonna board your ship runt!" => big bad BH goes "sure, can I get you something to drink? a massage, perhaps?"

Same thing just happened with Broonmark. My warrior would never, ever have accepted the stinky hairball into his team.

I miss the days of Baldur's Gate where you could decide to ditch a companion entirely, or sometimes never even met them in the first place. You could even hurt their feelings so bad THEY would leave (Aerie!).

I also miss the days of KOTOR (2) when you had the choice to turn pilots and spacers into jedi... or not.

IHTSOIM

Edited by BenduKundalini

Of all the classes in this game that I've played, there is only one companion that I absolutely cannot stand. Skadge, from the Bounty Hunter story.

I mean, every class has kind of pointless, space-hogs of companions... but I absolutely hate Skadge. My first play through I cycled through the conversation as many times as possible in hopes of finding a way not to let him on my ship.

But as far as Nadia goes, I rather like her. The fact that she doesn't listen to orders and is so highly praised is what makes her the perfect companion for a consular. You're supposed to be a wise jedi master. You're taking on this naive padawon in hopes of making her a valiant jedi. You can't expect some new padawon to behave like some trained puppy. That's the reason she is even with you in the first place! To be trained!

Edited by Soul_of_Flames

Of all the classes in this game that I've played, there is only one companion that I absolutely cannot stand. Skadge, from the Bounty Hunter story.

I mean, every class has kind of pointless, space-hogs of companions... but I absolutely hate Skadge. My first play through I cycled through the conversation as many times as possible in hopes of finding a way not to let him on my ship.

Are you kidding? A way to torch him then and there! :D

Besides I have him in a mix of 178 and 153/162 = takes a beating on ORICON whenever I have to take him cause Mako's busy on an errand. Incredible.

I haven't played Nadia in full (in a long time and I never constantly ran her), I'm currently in the process with my male toon to see the romance and her story. I didn't use her much with my female consular, cause um, I was...ah...madly in love with Zenith, who is pretty much (to me anyway) the only redeeming feature of the entire Jedi Consular class and story.

I am seeing glimpses of Nadia acting up and doing all this nonsense like you said OP. And you're quite right, as a female player, it bugs the living s*it out of me. This is kind of funny too, that you mentioned Kira...I remember at the bitter beginnings, when I first started here and played Jedi Knight female, and I remember actually being jealous of my sidekick. It was ridiculous. This was before there was much pretty modable armour available, and I remember seeing the reward clothes/armour for Kira and think...wow she gets to dress better than me. That sucks! I'm of course in typical brown burlap (ah the joys of being jedi) Kira would get the pretty white dress with pale green embroidery. Then I find out that she's like

the emperor's child

and that she's uber awesome and has this great history, and I start feeling like I'm *her* sidekick, instead of her being mine.

Well things got instantly better when I got Doc...and then even more so when I got Scourge. I barely ever pulled the wunderkind ever again. I even thought about making a male Jedi to see the romance, but I never seemed to be able to progress it, because meh...I don't really want to see her get an awesome romance too. :p

I hate Ashara for this too, and the fact that she's not a Jedi anymore, but can't be Sith either. I just call her the 'nothing' and ignore her.

Oddly the only one I can stand of the girls is psycho Jaesa. Because I can corrupt her! And she at least calls me master and discusses things with me. And even though she goes on a bender, she at least tells me about it.

Then on the other end of the spectrum you get rubbish like Kaliyo. She's like female Skadge as far as I'm concerned. There is no happy medium here...they're either tough annoying broads....or annoying super teens. Sheesh.

Thank goodness I have my Malavai, Vector, Scourge, Zenith, Andronikos and Doc, my lovely harem of awesome men. Don't judge me. :p

They should have companions you can meet and pick up a long the way. And the option to dismiss a companion if you don't care for them, or if you're limited as to number.

Edited by Lunafox

I wonder if your character's gender has a role in who you have to go after in Javelin..

I used a female Healer Sage, and had to rescue Iresso. Anyone use a male Consular and have to rescue Iresso?

Male Shadow, I had to rescue Iresso. I am pretty sure advanced class doesn't impact story decisions.

Fact is our comps are shoved into our crew. Worst example is Skadge. "Imma gonna board your ship runt!" => big bad BH goes "sure, can I get you something to drink? a massage, perhaps?"

Same thing just happened with Broonmark. My warrior would never, ever have accepted the stinky hairball into his team.

I miss the days of Baldur's Gate where you could decide to ditch a companion entirely, or sometimes never even met them in the first place. You could even hurt their feelings so bad THEY would leave (Aerie!).

I also miss the days of KOTOR (2) when you had the choice to turn pilots and spacers into jedi... or not.

IHTSOIM

Being able to not have a companion you don't like works better in a Single Player RPG then in a MMO. They even had the option to kill off certain companions in Beta, but the system created too many problems. Plus, how many versions of the story do you have to make to account for players who do/don't have certain companions?