Shadow/Assassin Guide to Competitive Ranked Warzones

InariOkami

Where do people even get crazy information like this?

I don't know if its still the case, but SithWarriors (now the SWTOR section of the mmo-mechanics domain, I believe) was the source for all the hard math calculations for a while. 30% softcap has been around for ages.

I don't know if its still the case, but SithWarriors (now the SWTOR section of the mmo-mechanics domain, I believe) was the source for all the hard math calculations for a while. 30% softcap has been around for ages.

The Critical stat itself has a hard cap of 30% that can ever possibly gained from that one stat. It's irrelevant information though, because no one can possibly have near enough critical rating to even approach it, yet.

More practically speaking, we're just working at different locations on the DR curve.

With what the OP said, people would be looking at their character sheet with their buffs clicked off and see if it says 30% or more and then think they are into a "soft cap." That's flat out bad info because they're almost surely still in healthy return ranges for crit and it ignores how much of that total number does or doesn't come from Willpower.

Edited by Boarg

My one niche ability, the thing that I can do that the tanksins can't, is my complete shutdown of a healer. Between my 9 sec disrupt, my low slash, my kb, my vanish/spike, and my electrocute, he won't be getting any casts off. However, a marauder in the same position would probably just kill the healer outright.

I hear you on this, but you're forgetting one deal changing cc for healers, and that's force pull.

Most of the healers I've seen in rateds are guarded and most of those also stay to the edge of the group their healing. Force pull is a vital move to killing healers by pulling them far from their group, so the gaurd isn't healed and the healer isn't gaurded. Then you can repeat whatever you were doing before (spinning kick instead of low slash). It's better you do it this way because you utilize the immobilization of your cc's instead of just the interrupt/stun to keep them from healing.

This thread got me thinking, so I spent some time experimenting today.

I specced 3 points into the stealth level talent, and 2 points into the blackout/force-cloak cd reduction. Instead of my usual all out healer-killing frenzy, I walked near the battle, and cast my aoe taunt, which does not break stealth. Moving past the main group, I waited past the main group, towards the enemy spawn point. As the enemy came down, I mindtrapped. If they broke their CC, I did it again. It filled their resolve, but they had a ways yet to get to the objective, and it would be most of the way down by the time they got there.

Now mindtrap has a key limitation. It can only be applied to one target at once. However, I found that if I was careful, I was able to stagger 2 players. I mind trap the first, the other one keeps moving ahead... after 5-6 seconds, I mind trap the second. The first one is free (but the duration is over anyway), and so I while the second mindtrap counts down, I wait, then I remintrap the first. Then the second once more. 3 or more becomes very difficult, but if 3 or more are respawning, I figure maybe your group doesn't need your help after all. If I saw that my team needed my dps, or if a squishy target was vulnerable, I'd pop out, taunt, kill something, and vanish back into stealth and go back to my post.

It seems to be fairly effective at delaying the enemy. The question is whether or not it would be more useful if I had been DPSing or taunting. I guess it depends on who I mind trap, and how fast my team is killing. I notice that in many cases, where I am delaying just 1 guy that it is a relative stalemate. Both my team and the enemy are short 1 player. When I am waiting for a spawn, it's probably worse for my team.

Anyway I'm going to continue experimenting with this. If anyone has ideas please feel free to contribute.

This thread got me thinking, so I spent some time experimenting today.

I specced 3 points into the stealth level talent, and 2 points into the blackout/force-cloak cd reduction. Instead of my usual all out healer-killing frenzy, I walked near the battle, and cast my aoe taunt, which does not break stealth. Moving past the main group, I waited past the main group, towards the enemy spawn point. As the enemy came down, I mindtrapped. If they broke their CC, I did it again. It filled their resolve, but they had a ways yet to get to the objective, and it would be most of the way down by the time they got there.

Now mindtrap has a key limitation. It can only be applied to one target at once. However, I found that if I was careful, I was able to stagger 2 players. I mind trap the first, the other one keeps moving ahead... after 5-6 seconds, I mind trap the second. The first one is free (but the duration is over anyway), and so I while the second mindtrap counts down, I wait, then I remintrap the first. Then the second once more. 3 or more becomes very difficult, but if 3 or more are respawning, I figure maybe your group doesn't need your help after all. If I saw that my team needed my dps, or if a squishy target was vulnerable, I'd pop out, taunt, kill something, and vanish back into stealth and go back to my post.

It seems to be fairly effective at delaying the enemy. The question is whether or not it would be more useful if I had been DPSing or taunting. I guess it depends on who I mind trap, and how fast my team is killing. I notice that in many cases, where I am delaying just 1 guy that it is a relative stalemate. Both my team and the enemy are short 1 player. When I am waiting for a spawn, it's probably worse for my team.

Anyway I'm going to continue experimenting with this. If anyone has ideas please feel free to contribute.

It's a pretty common tactic, but with better opponents it gets harder, as they'll just start spamming aoes to ensure you can't stop the cap wihtout getting interuppted. Usually I just do it to stall them until my team can get there, or stall for as long as possible then survive as long as possible.

It's a pretty common tactic, but with better opponents it gets harder, as they'll just start spamming aoes to ensure you can't stop the cap wihtout getting interuppted. Usually I just do it to stall them until my team can get there, or stall for as long as possible then survive as long as possible.

I'm not referring to caps at all...