Guide to Artifacts (orange items):

Zoroth

A guide to custom gear:

Whenever you find a "custom" gear piece (orange item), always remember that it levels with you and your mods. If it's getting outdated, DO NOT throw it away if you like the piece. Just update it with better mods.

Essentially, ALL customs seem to be of the same level, except for some that only has a level requirement.

It's when you mod it that it gets better values (including Armor value and more, even though the mods themselves don't provide it).

NOTE:

Removing mods from an item will bind the item to you! (Thanks Borea for reminding.)

Conclusion:

- All orange items (customs) are equally powerful when unmodded.

- When a custom gets outdated, leave it in your storage until you can improve the mods.

E.g. I'm level 21 and I still got the Black Talon BH chestplate, it currently has 250 armor or so, give or take.

Edit: Right now, I got a SW armor robe that I'm using with success as a BH. It's kinda awesome running around with a "trenchcoat" and two pistols xD

Some reminders from replies:

you should note that Armoring and Hilt/Barrel are the most important mods as those are the ones that will increase the armor and damage stats.

I believe orange items are classified as Custom not artifact.

Thanks to both.

(Just throwing it out here, because a lot of people have been wondering about this in-game.)

Edited by Zoroth

ok, I made a separate post earlier, so I'll ask here:

I got an Orange blaster drop today as well as a purple blaster mod. Is it possible to remove part of the orange blaster and replace it with the purple piece without it binding to you?

I'm looking to up the sale value on the blaster, so didn't know if it was possible to mod something without it becoming bound to your character.

You have no idea how hard I facepalmed yesterday when I realized this in-game after having gone through a good number of Commendations just to upgrade my lightsaber, literally wasting them.

"Why," I hear you say, "that's not a bad way to get a fully upgraded lightsaber appropriate to your level."

Which would be true, except for the fact that I can craft my own hilts/crystals/enhancements (leaving only the Mod slot to acquire separately, a by no means difficult endeavour), and that I have been diligently wasting crafting materials to reverse-engineer and upgrade my crafting recipes so as to have plenty of purple-level appropriate pieces when I need them.

So facepalm worthy. Good thing I kept my original lightsaber for nostalgia value,

The obvious question is whether that's the case with the purple prototype pieces as well. I suspect the answer is yes. Which will be hilarious because I've actually found and sold a couple of pieces already, after finding "better" green pieces a few levels later, when I could have simply upgraded the slots.

Ah, the wonders of newbiness.

ok, I made a separate post earlier, so I'll ask here:

I got an Orange blaster drop today as well as a purple blaster mod. Is it possible to remove part of the orange blaster and replace it with the purple piece without it binding to you?

I'm looking to up the sale value on the blaster, so didn't know if it was possible to mod something without it becoming bound to your character.

No removing mods will bind the item to you. I really think it's bad that you don't get a warning about that though, hopefully Bioware will fix this and warn us properly.

I've updated the OP.

Edited by Zoroth

I believe orange items are classified as Custom not artifact.

True, I corrected the OP. The reason I called it "artifact" was because TORhead classifies it as such (or did it before, I haven't checked lately).

Thanks for reminding. :)

I gotta say I like this, means it's easier for me to have my character looking the way I want him to. Also, matching Blasters for my Mercenary!

But I'm wondering about Offhand/Mainhand weapons.

Cause I bought a couple of blasters for commendations (2 same ones) and they looked great. But I was unaware of how custom gear worked, so when I got a better blaster I replaced 1 of them (Saved it in my bank though!). So when reading this I'm thinking I'll go strip my current blaster and mod up my old one again so I can have matching.

BUT: The newer one I have is only Offhand. While the 2 I bought are both mainhand and offhand. Will that have any impact on this at all?

Will the stats of my old blaster become the same as my current one, even though 1 is limited to offhand and the other isn't?

I really hope someone knows, because I'd rather not have to spend so many credits removing mods and stuff, only to find out it may be a downgrade.

I gotta say I like this, means it's easier for me to have my character looking the way I want him to. Also, matching Blasters for my Mercenary!

But I'm wondering about Offhand/Mainhand weapons.

Cause I bought a couple of blasters for commendations (2 same ones) and they looked great. But I was unaware of how custom gear worked, so when I got a better blaster I replaced 1 of them (Saved it in my bank though!). So when reading this I'm thinking I'll go strip my current blaster and mod up my old one again so I can have matching.

BUT: The newer one I have is only Offhand. While the 2 I bought are both mainhand and offhand. Will that have any impact on this at all?

Will the stats of my old blaster become the same as my current one, even though 1 is limited to offhand and the other isn't?

I really hope someone knows, because I'd rather not have to spend so many credits removing mods and stuff, only to find out it may be a downgrade.

I got no idea, sorry. But I would imagine that an offhand weapon's only difference is that you can only use it offhand, and that stats will not be affected.

Could be wrong though.

:(

Sold several orange items for crazy low prices the other day before I understood :(

Weirdly though last night I updated an armour item with a better 'armour plate' thingamabob and the actual armour value of the item didnt change. The upgrade items themselves went from a value of I think 38 to 46 but when installed didnt seem to change the armour of the actual item.

Thanks for the original post though :D

• 4 weeks later...
Are orange items the only ones with slots for the armoring, hilt or barrel?

(also TYVM for this post)

no, sorta.

there are some items (i have one pair of boots, prototype iirc) that have a defined armor value, but can be modded in the mod and enhancement slot.

not sure if any other colors can be fully modded, but at least some lower quality gear can be semi-modded

you can get orange gear from the commendation vendors, and also the upgrade mods to upgrade them.

I personally took armtech, and the only thing useful from it is crafting barrels, the purple ones generally give +10 weap dmg level over the standard green (the blue is +6)

I'm using 2 orange blasters at lvl 37 both fitted with the purple Advanced Reflex Barrel 16, they are giving out 290max dmg each which is about +100 dmg over the stock green weapons (eg Field Survival Blaster (197max)) around the same level.

So I would recommend if your using ranged weapons (blasters or rifles - since the blaster barrels actually fit the rifles as well!!!), see your local friendly armstech dealer - or craft them yourself (lots of Rev eng! and 40mins + to craft the lvl 16 ones!)

I'm a heavy armor user but I found a really nice looking orange head piece at a commendation vendor. The new head piece is medium armor. So my question is will it get less armor value or other stats from mods because it's medium armor and not heavy?

I'm a heavy armor user but I found a really nice looking orange head piece at a commendation vendor. The new head piece is medium armor. So my question is will it get less armor value or other stats from mods because it's medium armor and not heavy?

Yes, your armour value will be lower. The Armour Rating of the Armouring Mod you put in is multiplied with a hidden multiplicator to calculate the actual armour value. I don't know the exact numbers, but Medium has a noticably smaller one than Heavy.

So if you're a heavy armour guy/girl, don't use medium or light.

That's the reason I curse at BW for making all the orange gear form the CE/Social/Security Vendors light armour only. :mad:

Edited by Nordland

:(

Sold several orange items for crazy low prices the other day before I understood :(

Weirdly though last night I updated an armour item with a better 'armour plate' thingamabob and the actual armour value of the item didnt change. The upgrade items themselves went from a value of I think 38 to 46 but when installed didnt seem to change the armour of the actual item.

Thanks for the original post though :D

Same thing happened to me but I learned that just the stat on the armor didnt visually change. I just moved the item in my inventory or equiped and it changed appropriately and when equiped my stats changed appropriately as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a quick question. Ultra noob here just realized that you should keep Orange items and as it happens I'm wearing several the them at the moment! But I'm not sure what to buy?

I'm a Jedi Consular Sage at level 34. I want to upgrade my armour on Enshrouding Force Robes but I don't know what sort of armour I should be buying and how to compare it? Could you maybe provide some suggestions guys? Thanks

Also thank you for telling me to keep them! :D