Character won't stop running

LukasEkisjoupa

I've been ignoring this for a while but sometimes if I press a directional button, my character would start moving in that direction even if I'm not touching the keyboard or mouse; and it is not auto-run either. The only way I can get my character to stand still is if I hold down the opposite directional button but if I release it, my character would move in the same direction again.

This has happen with multiple characters on multiple servers. The only sure fire way I know of that will make my character stop moving on it's own is by logging out and back in. Has anybody else experienced this?

I've been ignoring this for a while but sometimes if I press a directional button, my character would start moving in that direction even if I'm not touching the keyboard or mouse; and it is not auto-run either. The only way I can get my character to stand still is if I hold down the opposite directional button but if I release it, my character would move in the same direction again.

This has happen with multiple characters on multiple servers. The only sure fire way I know of that will make my character stop moving on it's own is by logging out and back in. Has anybody else experienced this?

Yes mainly in WZ's when I am circle strafing people, typically I dont want to bail on my team so I limp through it sometimes it just spends me in circles. Loading out of the WZ fixes it for me as well as logging out.

have you tried simply pressing that button again and releasing it?

I've noticed some times the game seems to fail to read the "key up" event, so remains behaving as if the key is still being held down. (i.e. running forward). Simply sending the "key up" event by pressing the key again (then releasing it) fixes the issue.

Now granted, I've only experienced this problem if I go into a load with the button held down, then let go during the load.

I know this used to happen to me pretty frequently - but it was usually a case of the batteries on my wireless keyboard needing to be changed. Not sure if that is the cause of your issues or not, but I know I do not have these issues anymore since I bought wired one.

I have it happen frequently. I unbound alll autorun keys thinking it might help. It does not. The best thing I have found is to hit all the directional keys in sequence (forward, strafe left, backward, strafe right). Seems to work.

Its really "fun" on the Platform phase of SOA.

I have seen the bug OP describes many times in 1.2 although not in the last week or two (this could be random coincidence). sometimes I have to logout / login to fix it.

I happen to have "auto-run" bound to a key. Sometimes pressing my auto-run key a few times clears the problem.

have you tried simply pressing that button again and releasing it?

I've noticed some times the game seems to fail to read the "key up" event, so remains behaving as if the key is still being held down. (i.e. running forward). Simply sending the "key up" event by pressing the key again (then releasing it) fixes the issue.

Now granted, I've only experienced this problem if I go into a load with the button held down, then let go during the load.

It's normally my initial reaction when it happens but doesn't stop it.

Never actually, just because my character won't stop running doesn't mean I can't fight :p

I was thinking more like you ran off a few cliffs or fell down some elevator shafts. My char doesnt have this problem but I do this stuff all the time anyway lol.

M

I have experienced this just once and it confused the heck out of me at first. I wasn't stuck running forward but was stuck strafing to the left.

As was mentioned by another poster, I just pressed and held the left (A) key for a couple seconds and it seemed to release the lock.

Edited by Tokri

Yes on the PTS. It seems to happen most if I am running (either auto or manual) when I enter an area that kicks into an auto-cutscene. Usually after the cutscene, I experience exactly what you describe and need to log out in order to fix it. Haven't tried any of the direction keys some others here mentioned, but will try that next time.

BJ

• 8 months later...
It is sad to see that this is still a bug that happens in the game even now, I thought that they fixed this horrible movement bug back in Beta but I guess I was wrong. It is still alive and strong today causing havoc for players all around. Get it fixed people!

Same thing happens to me on a daily basis, multiple times a day. Seems to happen a lot when I jump into battle with my JK. After the leap I just keep going. It's pretty annoying. To correct, I always have to tap the button assigned to the direction that my character is running a few times to make him stop. First time it happened I had logged in in a cave on Taris to try out my new MMO mouse with fresh keybinds. A random group walked up and asked if I would like to join them so I accepted. In the first battle, I ended up running backwards and couldn't stop (I was jumping and pushing forward furiously but to no avail), and ended up backing myself into a pit of green toxic sludge and dying. I was really embarrassed. I remember the people in the group finished off the mob, then all turned their avatars and walked toward the pit as if they were trying to understand why I decided mid battle to backward suicide into the sludge. I sheepishly explained that my new mouse keybinds went nuts and told them to move on without me. Since then, I've been able to correct the issue faster, but its still something I would like to see fixed.

Isn't this called Ghosting? Where your character just starts running in a certain direction for no reason. I used to have that problem playing MMO's a lot. I found myself in the market for a new keyboard, the old one was finished, when I found the one I liked for the right price(a Logitech G110), I read that this gaming keyboard stopped Ghosting. There are many keyboards out there that solve this problem.

So far it has worked. I've been using it for around 5 months and I haven't had the problem in any game. I hope this helps.

Edited by BatMorph

Only times I've ever seen this is if I turned auto-run on, or if I click and quickly change my active window. My setup is dual monitor with the game running windowed full mode. I've seen a few times were I push the button to walk and a fraction of a second later (possibly while I'm still pushing the button) I click something in a browser window on my other screen, then look back and realize I'm still moving.

Are you possibly causing it by alt-tabbing out (or similar functionally)?

I know that I've had the issue if I alt-tab out of the game and was moving forward or something that when I came back to the game, it assumed the button was still held down, even though it wasn't. I could reverse the process to stop it, or change instances, ofc. Took me a while to figure out what I was doing to cause it...

Edited by BeToo

What keyboard are you using? I had this happen a few times on my old Razer key board before it croaked on me, since I got a new one it hasn't happened since. You can try unplugging your keyboard and plugging it back in too.

I have a solution if this already has not been suggested.

For example:

If my knight is moving forward uncontrollably, I'll press the down arrow key which stops the motion. Then I tap the W key a few times. This "breaks" the forward motion and my knight will start moving backwards. (down arrow still pressed).

Once the motion is corrected I can move around normally.

I hope this helps.

Toryn

Yes, I get that bug once in a while. Logging out then back in is sometimes the only way to fix it. There have been a couple of times where I got it while grouped with my wife. Putting myself in follow mode to her (and vice versa when it happens to her) also seems to fix it.

Ya, and I find it very annoying. Sometimes after talking to someone involving my main story line, or just at random, my character does this. It really gets on my nerves, most including when it won't let me grab loot that possibly would of been great for my character.