Gt 540m

BellaEva

When I got my new laptop I was told that it should run SWTOR fine.

Dell XPS 15 L502X

CPU: Intel i7-2670QM 2.2GHz (Turbo 3GHz)

RAM: 8GB DDR3

HDD: 500GB 7200RPM

GFX: NVIDIA 540M 2GB, 1080p display

But with everything set to Low/Very Low/Off (where applicable), just turning on Bloom will bring the game to it's knees, dropping FPS under 30fps in most places, with V-sync off. Its not a temperature problem as both CPU and GPU stay well under the throttle temps.

I have followed the numerous tweak guides and seen some improvement, (I also use SWTOR Unleashed), but I guess I just expected more from this computer. It's not a desktop, no, but the 540M is the best graphics card Dell currently offers in their 15-inch XPS laptops.

Anyone else using a similar computer/graphics card with similar (or otherwise) performance?

Edited by BellaEva

Not sure if you'd be disappointed or encouraged, but I have a very similar specced laptop as yours (mine's Toshiba Qosmio F750: i7, GT540M 2GB, but only 4GB DDR3), and I run SWTOR just fine, as in not too laggy (didn't really use any FPS indicator, but pretty sure it's well above 30 fps, even in warzones). I'm even running it on default settings, with only shadows disabled.

Sadly I really can't give you any advice or anything, since I don't know what caused the problem in yours. However, I do have some observations that after playing some other game or browsing, SWTOR can sometimes run with dreadful FPS (GPU lag), and the only way to fix it is to restart my laptop. Maybe it has something to do with other programs running on your system? Or maybe some settings in the NVIDIA control panel, especially the preferred graphics processor and stuff like that (but I'm sure you've tried those already, and have the drivers up-to-date since you mentioned tweaks).

I hope it's not a defective card, if it's really GPU lag...

Edited by Laksmanaya

Well, part of the problem was that the GPU suddenly jumped to 95 and was staying there! I think thats the throttle temp. I made sure the vent wasn't getting covered and blew out some dust and now the temps are staying in the 80s, and FPS is 10-20 higher. Still noticeably jerky in some places. Edited by BellaEva

When I got my new laptop I was told that it should run SWTOR fine.

Dell XPS 15 L502X

CPU: Intel i7-2670QM 2.2GHz (Turbo 3GHz)

RAM: 8GB DDR3

HDD: 500GB 7200RPM

GFX: NVIDIA 540M 2GB, 1080p display

But with everything set to Low/Very Low/Off (where applicable), just turning on Bloom will bring the game to it's knees, dropping FPS under 30fps in most places, with V-sync off. Its not a temperature problem as both CPU and GPU stay well under the throttle temps.

I have followed the numerous tweak guides and seen some improvement, (I also use SWTOR Unleashed), but I guess I just expected more from this computer. It's not a desktop, no, but the 540M is the best graphics card Dell currently offers in their 15-inch XPS laptops.

Anyone else using a similar computer/graphics card with similar (or otherwise) performance?

Hello mate - I have the EXACT same laptop as you, except that mine is actually slightly worse (2 Ghz with TurboBoost up to 2.8 Ghz) - I put even more pressure on mine by hooking it up to a 42 inch HDTV and play with settings on medium (low AA and medium to low on everything else - no shadows) and it goes fine and no real noticeable drop in FPs - runs at around 35 fps in ops.

The only thing that is a total **** is that it chronically overheats the 540M so I use a laptop cooler to stop the GPU from crashing my game (forcing a hard reset). With the cooler it runs very nicely.

Edited by JamieM

Hm....well I bumped everything down to VeryLow/Off except for Shader Complexity = Low, Texture Ansiotropy = High, Texture Quality = High.

I'm getting about 50ish FPS average, around 35 on fleet, GPU temps in the 80s, CPU in the 70s.

Some conversations in Black Talon are over 100 fps. When holos are involved, 40ish.

Edited by BellaEva