How restrictive is DS/LS as far as gear?

Marak

I know you can only wear LS1-5 and DS1-5 gear with said restrictions on it, but how abundant is this gear? And is there alternative options? Is most gear unrestricted?

Specifically I want to play through to 50 and answer as I feel is appropriate and not feel pigeonholed into decisions based on the assumption that I will be royally screwed out of gear later.

Don't sweat it. From what I have encountered thus far the DS/LS gear is mostly on the commendation vendors. There are always equivalent DS and LS pieces for all classes available on these vendors so whichever side you end up falling on you'll be able to pick the appropriate piece.

If you think you are going to end up neutral I know my initial lightsaber had no limitation and it was a modable weapon. Meaning its effective base damage and force bonus were based on the item level of the hilt component and its stats were based on the other mods. So you can just yank out the mods from any lightsaber you find and put them in the neutral saber.

So ultimately it sounds like we just have to pick a side and go with it all out. That's unfortunate.

I don't mind the concept of "this ancient sith artifact only works for those attuned to the darkest of the dark side", but I'd like to play it out to 50 and then farm one way or the other for the min/max once the story part was less important.

From what I've found, you do not have to just pick a side and stick with it. The major gear does not have a LS/DS requirement, and at lvl 400 artificing you can make relics without requirements, so they're out there. It just does add some restrictions. My JC is level 27 and still just barely LS2, my pall who only picks LS choices is LS4, I think, and I haven't had any conflicts with gearing - I just have one relic instead of two. Edited by Antiuna

I hope this is not an issue. Albeit I'm not a high level, but As of right now, I'm a true neutral (600DS/600LS) I like playing my character in away that a smuggler would. If the credits out weigh the deal he can betray you. Being pigeonholed into either DS/LS was a great worry of mine.

So ultimately it sounds like we just have to pick a side and go with it all out. That's unfortunate.

I don't mind the concept of "this ancient sith artifact only works for those attuned to the darkest of the dark side", but I'd like to play it out to 50 and then farm one way or the other for the min/max once the story part was less important.

actually, thats not what people are saying. The LS/DS gear is mostly cosmetic. Most of the game gear is neutral.

Found more than just dark side boots and gloves? I haven't seen anything else than that from the ds vendor on Fleet station.

I've only gotten as far as Kaas City, but I've seen lightsabers there in the specialty goods vendor with dark/light requirements (though I'm not sure why light side lightsabers are even available for Sith)