Why is BW sitting on Paid Character Transfers?

Graydon

Are you a programmer? Have you ever programmed anything before? I can tell you haven't. I on the other hand have and for what I did was just simple game which still was pretty complex to program for me since I am just a beginner.

LOL! I am indeed a programmer, a long time programmer, and a project manager so I do know the code is there.

Yes I can tell that you are a beginner. :D

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think one of the reasons they are holding this announcement is for their quarterly financial conference call where it will get the most attention from stockholders. Announcing additional sources of revenue are good to hear at these things. In the meantime the servers settle and they will be able to estimate how many players they will have longterm.

I'm most interested in the subscriber number as I think it may shock a few how low the number has gotten (unless they include the level 1-15 that are playing for free). It is still good to release any good news they can release at that time to keep their stock from sliding further.

In the meantime the servers settle and they will be able to estimate how many players they will have longterm.

These are all good points. The odd thing is refusal to allow us to transfer for free to other destination servers in order to consolidate our toons or meet up with our friends from other games is yet another thing trimming those longterm subscription numbers. The only way I can see this making sense is if they are just willing to let us go. I understand one player paying to transfer 4 characters will be enough to cover my lost subscription for about 6 months therefore making me quite insignificant. It's just unfortunate because someone like me, once I'm settled, would likely play (and pay.. even if f2p is offered) for years to come. Since they created that demand and are holding back to fuel the demand further, it seems clear my insignificance will not change. It makes perfect sense from a strictly business point of view. It does shoot the "BioWare appreciates the community" mentality out of the water, though. Of course, good impressions do not pay the bills... the bottom line does.

Don't worry. I'm finally coming to terms with it.

Edited by InnerPieces

The other option if you have the spare cash is to buy some shares in EA, and use your rights as a shareholder to ask those questions they don't want to answer. You don't need to spend millions, over here in the UK one of the banks had all their smaller shareholders veto their bonuses a few months back.... very embarrising!

Personally Bioware are currently saying play with a lvl 39 legacy on 1 server (on my own) or start from scratch on a server with friends. I'm patiently been wait for a month now since transfers started, and I doubt we will have an answer before they give out the free cookies at the end of the month....

But at the moment there is NO reason for me to continue my subscription at this rate.

I actually cant wait either, all of my republic toons are on Ebon Hawk, and all of my Empire toons are on Lord Adraas. I cant move my Empire toons to Ebon Hawk due to no space. Basically my Empire toons are useless sitting on a ghost town server.

I would really like to get some reprive and the ability to move them at some point!!!!! :mad:

LOL! I am indeed a programmer, a long time programmer, and a project manager so I do know the code is there.

Yes I can tell that you are a beginner. :D

Gray, if you are a programmer, and a project manager, you should know better than to spit your comments out there. I am an IT and Digital project manager, and by way of my pay and reputation, a darn good one. They are lucky the transfers went that smooth, and given the very limited way they occurred, the risk was greatly reduced, and the speed isn't entirely shocking. Chances for transfers error'ing out and so forth, are going to go up, the day they start meshing RMTs with characters and player accounts, mixed with choices in servers. Logically, no, it shouldn't be "that hard." I'm sure you and I both know that there will be the unexpected, things that don't make sense, that leave teams troubleshooting.

But in any case, you know that the technical issues aren't what is driving this.

You know they want to clear out servers ahead of time. They want to consolidate down to a far smaller range of servers. You know, because you aren't dumb, that they are not going to go and open more doors to player aggro, by letting people jump all over the place, before they even shut-down "X" number of servers. You are, understandably, frustrated as rolling toons all over the place, only to wind-up having a way to transfer them, which you can't take because you filled your slots. That is something I can understand, but sorry, it was a bet many people lost.

At this point, getting paid transfers isn't even on the short-list. It is someplace well after finishing a plan they clearly have set into motion. And I stand by every ounce of logic I put forward, because I do actually know what I am talking about.

You know they want to clear out servers ahead of time. They want to consolidate down to a far smaller range of servers. You know, because you aren't dumb, that they are not going to go and open more doors to player aggro, by letting people jump all over the place, before they even shut-down "X" number of servers. You are, understandably, frustrated as rolling toons all over the place, only to wind-up having a way to transfer them, which you can't take because you filled your slots. That is something I can understand, but sorry, it was a bet many people lost.

At this point, getting paid transfers isn't even on the short-list. It is someplace well after finishing a plan they clearly have set into motion. And I stand by every ounce of logic I put forward, because I do actually know what I am talking about.

What does clearing out the Origin servers have absolutely anything to do with allowing PAID transfers between Destination servers?

All I want to do is consolidate my characters to a single Destination server.

It's very simple and yes logically sound.

What does clearing out the Origin servers have absolutely anything to do with allowing PAID transfers between Destination servers?

It has everything to do with it.

What you mean to say, is that you want extra character slots on destination servers, which aren't being sold....yet. No, I don't see the logic in terms of planning and doing. One thing before the other. Finish the server merges, then let people fling money around. All this is really about are impatient people. We don't even know if they are going to end the merges with what we have seen. Wouldn't make any sense to throw another reason for people to be mad about something.

The folks wanting paid transfers can just wait. It will come in time.

Gray, if you are a programmer, and a project manager, you should know better than to spit your comments out there. I am an IT and Digital project manager, and by way of my pay and reputation, a darn good one. They are lucky the transfers went that smooth, and given the very limited way they occurred, the risk was greatly reduced, and the speed isn't entirely shocking. Chances for transfers error'ing out and so forth, are going to go up, the day they start meshing RMTs with characters and player accounts, mixed with choices in servers. Logically, no, it shouldn't be "that hard." I'm sure you and I both know that there will be the unexpected, things that don't make sense, that leave teams troubleshooting.

But in any case, you know that the technical issues aren't what is driving this.

That is likely one of the best responses I've seen in awhile and is finally one where someone claims to be in the IT business and I actually believe it. That's not to say no one else is, but you know... people like their comments to matter one way or another.

I think what you have said indicates why free transfers with a choice of destination are far more important (at first) than paid transfers. We have less to complain about if an issue occurs with something free than we do with something paid. In fact, your comment is the one thing that has given me hope that we may be allowed a certain degree of free, choice-based transfers prior to paid (anywhere) transfers.

That may have been an unintended consequence, but I'll take hope wherever I can get it.

Thanks!

Edited by InnerPieces

Because clearing out the Origin servers is what's filling up the Destination servers. If they allowed PAID transfers to anywhere you want right now the designated Destination servers would stop filling. People would spread out and we'd be right back to where we were 2 months ago.

Give it time. PAID transfers are coming eventually. No need to rush it. :)

Because clearing out the Origin servers is what's filling up the Destination servers. If they allowed PAID transfers to anywhere you want right now the designated Destination servers would stop filling. People would spread out and we'd be right back to where we were 2 months ago.

But not before free, choice-based transfers, right? That's what you said a month or so ago... right? ;) ;)

yes, two ;) 's because most people seem to miss that the one ;) is meant to imply the comment is light-hearted. LOL

Edit: Amazingly, I found the conversation (and it only took a few moments). Amusingly enough, it was literally a month ago. Good guess. ;)

Edited by InnerPieces

Bioware just transferred hundreds of thousands of characters.

They have the resources and the coding.

What they don't have is a comprehending of consumer demand nor MMO game management.

Ya. Wow has had flying mounts since, what ... Burning Crusade? Over 5 years ago? And that 600lb. gorilla STILL doesn't have full 3D air-to-air combat. Bet they have the code for it too. Blizzard has no concept of consumer demand or MMO game management. Sucks not being waited on hand & foot. Edited by GalacticKegger

It has everything to do with it.

What you mean to say, is that you want extra character slots on destination servers, which aren't being sold....yet. No, I don't see the logic in terms of planning and doing. One thing before the other. Finish the server merges, then let people fling money around. All this is really about are impatient people. We don't even know if they are going to end the merges with what we have seen. Wouldn't make any sense to throw another reason for people to be mad about something.

The folks wanting paid transfers can just wait. It will come in time.

I never asked for extra character slots.

If Bioware ever ends up merging Destination servers, the outcry and backlash would be so huge, SWTOR would most likely never recover from it. The Destination servers are set, they are not going anywhere.

Its very easy...BW chose where we transfer characters based on their list of destination servers. I am asking that we choose (for a fee) which server from the same list of Destination servers.

Gawd! you guys need to learn to read...

"Paid transfers between Destination servers"

But not before free, choice-based transfers, right? That's what you said a month or so ago... right? ;) ;)

yes, two ;) 's because most people seem to miss that the one ;) is meant to imply the comment is light-hearted. LOL

Edit: Amazingly, I found the conversation (and it only took a few moments). Amusingly enough, it was literally a month ago. Good guess. ;)

Lol.... Yepper. :D

Exactly. But there is more from a planning standpoint.

• We don't know if the current destination servers will be the final list. Thus, we can't know if it is safe to let people migrate to any of the current destination servers.
  • If they allowed paid transfers, it opens a chance that somebody will have paid for a transfer that occurs for free, or that wrecks their move. They are not about to make their first paid service that kind of mess.
  • They are going to shut-down the origin servers, at which time trapped characters are bound to wind-up being forced into destination servers. Again, if people pay for what they wind-up getting for free, somebody will scream.
  • Free-to-play (to level 15...for now) is coming. They can't do that until the server situation is settled. Meaning freebies through at least July 31, then full merges. They don't want people flooding into an unsettled server environment until the hard number of final servers is determined.
  • They can't add paid character slots, or free slots for people having to merge from multiple origin servers to single destination servers, otherwise people will rush to roll dummy toons to get extra space. And it would be unfair to those who didn't roll extra alts ahead of time.

Once the servers are merged, then they can tell people to pick where they want to go, along with expanding character slots, and there it is.

But it is too soon for the paid deal. I'm not saying that is good. I'm saying there is zero logic pulling the trigger now. They are not ready, which is more damning than my point of view.

Edited by Comstrike

My bad. :o But they still aren't done with the free transfers. This is still phase 1. Phase 2 will offer free transfers to multiple destination servers.

*DING*

We don't know the merges are done yet. This could wind-up being round one. The point being, they can't yet. Not fun, but reality.

*DING*

We don't know the merges are done yet. This could wind-up being round one. The point being, they can't yet. Not fun, but reality.

They will not merge the current Destination servers. It would be disastrous.

I never asked for extra character slots.

If Bioware ever ends up merging Destination servers, the outcry and backlash would be so huge, SWTOR would most likely never recover from it. The Destination servers are set, they are not going anywhere.

Its very easy...BW chose where we transfer characters based on their list of destination servers. I am asking that we choose (for a fee) which server from the same list of Destination servers.

Fair enough. But we don't know that they might not wind-up having to merge another pair of servers. Probably they won't, true. Certainly won't, that we don't know. Plus there is the issue of F2P coming.

In any case, you'll get your wish, after the merges are done. Not before. Doesn't make sense to do it sooner. They'll run this through the 31st at least. They'll announce final shut-downs, maybe even extend the freebies a few weeks. Then transfers become compulsory because of a merge, or paid to one's choice of destination servers.

Plus, I wouldn't discount people being given one last chance to shift for free, between destination servers.

Regardless, they aren't about to do the paid transfer thing for a month or two. We don't know, but there isn't any logic to support doing it sooner.

They will not merge the current Destination servers. It would be disastrous.

Sure. So has no endgame, no fluff, and a long list of issues. So was the pre-launch guild affiliation system.

Likely they won't. Certainly.....we can't know. Regardless, they aren't doing it until they know, and also until the shut-down process has finished.

My bad. :o But they still aren't done with the free transfers. This is still phase 1. Phase 2 will offer free transfers to multiple destination servers.

We don't know what Phase 2 will be. It would be nice if they offer free transfers to multiple destination servers, but all they've said is:

“First we’ll have some targeted free transfers from/to specific servers, but that will be followed with a broader system where you can either take advantage of free promotional transfers to specific servers or paid transfers to the server of your choice”

The "free promotional transfers" aren't "phase 2", they're part of the transfer system proper. Promotional transfers are for when they want to spread the population out, for example, they open up new servers and offer transfer from higher pop servers to the new server.

Just for the record, I am typically a reasonable person. Thankfully, the sum of my being is not equal to some of my recent posts in this forum. When it comes to these rare situations, it usually only takes a week or so for the nerd rage to run its course (I updated my signature to reflect this lol). That is helped by other reasonable voices (usually external lol) that actually converse as if they have real knowledge of the situation. I sincerely wish that voice of reason had come from BioWare, but understanding business and politics as I do, I know why it’s coming from a few of you instead. Now that I have found a few reasonable voices (and the nerd rage virus has run its course – again), I thought I would expand my own knowledge base and ask a question you guys might actually be able to provide insight about.

Clearly, I am a layman so I will not pretend otherwise and ask from a layman’s point of view. Who knows? Perhaps this analogy will help other laymen understand it as well.

Essentially, the situation is like this: You have a glass nearly full of water. You have several other glasses of varying degrees of fullness. You want to consolidate all of the water into the fewest possible glasses. Why would you pour all of the water from the other glasses into the nearly full glass? Wouldn’t it make more sense to leave the nearly full glass alone and just fill one of the other glasses with the extra water? I have been thinking it makes more sense to have two nearly full glasses of water rather than having one overflowing glass of water. I think it would make less of a mess, at any rate.

Those who I hope will answer will understand the analogy. The others will just troll me and I’m okay with that. I’ve always been able to better accept things when there is a solid ‘why’ attached. I’m hoping to better understand the logistics involved so that I can know best what to expect in the future and better prepare myself if I end up in a similar situation down the road.

Thanks, in advance, for taking the time.

Edited by InnerPieces