The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Tank vanguard with DPS companion?

Hello everyone. I'm hoping you fellow tanks can answer my question.

So during my first play through as an Infiltration Shadow, I relied on Tharan Cedrax, my trusty healer, through just about the entire game. I was new to mmos then, and I hated having to use one guy the whole time because he's the only one who worked for me. Now that I've gotten some experience, my Shadow, still DPSing but tanking for companion, can use and companion for most encounters.

Sorry to bore you all with that, just for people who want a little backstory. Now, the question comes out. If I am a tank, would I be able to gain victory in the majority of violent encounters while using a properly geared DPS companion, specifically Jorgan, or even Yuun?

Thanks in advance!

I'm currently 43 and have run the vast majority of the game without any companion. I just like to play solo for some reason.

The only major thing to note is that while you can run through it pretty easily and not die, you will have a significant increase in down time (this is my experience.) Having Elara Dorne out lets you just constantly go without stopping to heal yourself, not to mention that when push comes to shove she can still deal a fair amount of dps. Meanwhile when I have my dps pets out the mobs may day significantly faster, but I still take damage and need to heal eventually.

I don't like stopping so I run exclusively with Elara.

I have a L50 Vanguard. I leveled using Aric Jorgan (ranged DPS) and it worked very well. Jorgan has a lull in the early- or mid-30's where he doesn't scale well with the encounters, but it isn't so bad that he isn't useful. Late-30s and 40s, he becomes a total beast. Keep him properly geared, and you will have no issues. Note that I've also done this with a DPS specced character who used just their DPS companion (melee and later ranged) and it worked well there, too.

I did not find that downtime was increased significantly. One thing the 'But I have little to no downtime with my healer' people seem to overlook is that with a good DPS companion, combat time is decreased significantly; fights using the healer companion can last quite awhile longer. So even if you do have to stop and heal yourself afterwards when using a DPS companion, you're on to the next encounter as fast if not faster than if you had used a healer combat.

I'm a lvl 50 Vanguard Tank. I used Jorgan until I got Elara. Elara is definitely your "best" companion, and I would still use her for any fights that are going to be tough. However, now that I am doing my dailies on Ilum and Corellia, I have updated Jorgan with some heavy DPS gear. Jorgan and I are geared up enough that I'm not in any real danger of dying during the dailies (except the heroics, which I find a group for), and I like to finish the dailies as fast as possible. The extra DPS with Jorgan more than makes up for the occasional reload recovery.