Sentinel Help needed please

Shaidarharanx

Hey guys, so I was thinking of making a sentinel. Here are my questions.

Which spec is the best for lvling ?

What should my skill rotation be ?

What spec for pvp ?

What stats for pve dps lvling are crucial besides str

I appreciate any information you guys have for me, Thanks so much.

I had a similar problem not long ago, i would mainly go for the watchmantree and maybe a couple of points on combat on dual wield mastery because sentinels mainly use two lightsabers ofc:p. But there are some of the skills on watchman you should avoid(according to me). Like Recompence because i don't think alot of players playing as a sentinel would use Rispote so much, and you should also avoid Force Faid. If you think of it in the max lvl (50) then you should split up the points like this: Watchman 31p, Combat 5p and Focus 4

You would probably wait to respec yourself if you wish untill lvl 40 or something. About what i just said you should chose within the Combat tree: Dual Wield Mastery 3p and Defencive Form 2p. On Focus tree: Insight 3p and Master Focus 1p. :o

Some people may disagree on this but this is many of the replies i got when i was in trouble so i think this should work out just fine for you :)

Edited by aannddyy

I used Watchman spec for leveling and kept it 50. I tried combat but was just too used to my old rotation. Sentinel is tough to play since you don't get your healer until Balmorra but its doable. My PvE rotations is usually

1. Force Leap (specced to build additional focus)

2. Overload Saber (While in air for leap)

3. Zealous Strike (build focus)

4. Cauterize (DoT)

5. Strike (focus builder)

6. Merciless Slash

7. Master Strike

Watchman is a very situational AC. If your companion imobilizes them use pommel strike or opportune strike. In trash mob fights use awe, force sweep and cyclone slash for AoE. If a mob is not in striking distance blade storm has a 10m range while you close in.

Rebuke and saber ward are great for defense in a drawn out fight.

Pacify is not just for babies its a very usefull debuff in tough mob fights

Force Kick and Force Stasis are your best friends. I only use Force Stasis as an inturupt if force kick is on CD.

Questions are welcome! Sorry that you were blasted earlier :( I always like to encourage questions, especially well-thought-out ones.

I used Watchman, as another poster mentioned above. It is a great because of the heals you get off of your DoTs while using it. I could run with Kira and have full health. It was great.

Something like:

Force Leap – 4 pips

Overload Saber (in the air) – 1 pips

Zealous Strike – 7 pips

Merciless Slash – 3 pips

Cauterize – 1 pips

Once you get going in your rotation, Merciless Slash starts dropping its cooldown time, so we see something more like this once it stabilizes:

(I like to start my rotation with 5 pips of Focus)

Force Leap – 9 pips

Overload Saber (in air) – 6 pips

Merciless Slash – 2 pips

Cauterize – 0 pips

Zealous Strike – 6 pips

Blade Storm – 2 pips

Strike – 4 pips

Slash – 2 pips

Strike – 5 pips (with bleed, probably)

Repeat

What spec for pvp ?

I still like Watchman for PvP, especially this build (33/8/0)

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#501bIbRrRrfsZhMd.1

It particularly capitalizes on the short cooldown on Force Kick, making you a pain in the butt for healers.

Another option is (33/5/3)

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#501bIbRrRrfsZhMZh.1

if you need a little more crit. I like the extra defense for AoEs and the longer root on Force Leap from the 33/8/0 build though.

Crit is really needed for your burns to give you back health, so that is really important. Power is of course where you get a lot of your damage from, so you shouldn't ignore it. I always like to say that I "emphasize" certain stats vs. "stack" them. It really should be a balance of crit and power, but you want a high crit rate for your burns to heal you.

Let me know if you have any more questions, and check my guide in my signature for more Sentinel tips :)

Take care!

, and you should also avoid Force Faid.

I do disagree with this :p but only for PvP. For PvE this is absolutely useless, but it is crucial in PvP to have extra time and run speed on Force Camouflage. It is really good for getting places without people realizing it, and sneak attacks are much easier with it.

As for the rest of what you said, you had good advice. Most of the last few points are personal preference of playstyle. For example, I hate Master Strike when not in Combat spec, since it doesn't normally root, so I never really use it nor do I take the talent Master Focus from the Focus tree. PvP is about movement, so it is not as useful. That being said, if you find you do use Master Strike a lot, a lower cooldown and higher damage might be useful to you. It just depends on your personal rotation. I would definitely take Master Focus if I also had Debilitation from the Combat tree, since Master Strike would then root your enemy in place while doing that extra damage, and it would be available more often. Synergy! That would be worth it at that point, since Master Strike will be a much larger part of your rotation.

Just a few thoughts, disregard if you like. :)

Cheers!

I'm getting destroyed as a sentinel worked out great at first, then when i hit alderaan i just kept dieing alot. I respeced and i got barely past balmorra, did ok on quesh (only because i avoided some fights) and now im at belsavis, getting destroyed, on a dead server, and credits are going down the toliet for me.

Should i balance each tree?

Anyone got any idea let me know, thanks.

I'm getting destroyed as a sentinel worked out great at first, then when i hit alderaan i just kept dieing alot. I respeced and i got barely past balmorra, did ok on quesh (only because i avoided some fights) and now im at belsavis, getting destroyed, on a dead server, and credits are going down the toliet for me.

Upgrade gear and plz give some more info about which spec & rotations you are using. companions are useful as well. With just stating 'I die alot' no one will be able to help you

Make sure your gear AND your companions gear is up to level. Once I got Doc I used him exclusively (medium smuggler medic armor, blaster, and scattergun). Doc should be able to heal you through almost any battle if geared correctly.

I have been playing sentinal for a while and im level 46 i can do gold bosses no sweat with doc. I have some trouble if large mobs of like 5 or so but can manage but when on voss and i get attacked my other toons i get destroyed. I have the focus tree and thats supposed to work good in pvp from what i read. Maybe i just suck, but i really get destroyed. Thinking maybe i should just go smuggler with SS cuz i think part of my problem is i dont do well when i have to run around and hit buttons im just not so good. anywho, if ya have some thoughts im listening.

thanks

What spec for pvp ?

I appreciate any information you guys have for me, Thanks so much.

For leveling there's two things to look at-- the solo viability itself, and the rate of maturation. For me Watchman easily wins for this (I know unoriginal... sorry it just is that handy a tree).

Reason being is that you get several of the most valuable aspects at a rather early point.

At level 20 you get overload saber for your dots, already having the dot-crit-heal ability from tier 2 and by level 26 (cauterize damage boost) you'll start feeling pretty well developed as a watchman sentinel. The self healing can be especially helpful while leveling pre-Doc, I know around Alderaan mobs start hitting medium armor for a solid amount. Thinks like shorter leap cooldown (and no minimum range)

Combat needs until level 30 and precision slash to really start feeling like a fully realized tree. You also have a lot of fight-control-esque abilities (crippling throw immobilize, master strike root, longer root on leap) that are not really a factor on most leveling content.

That said, the good burst of the spec makes it nice once it has matured, and once you have Doc the lower survivability factor becomes a nonissue.

As far as the final tree, focus..

It is nice because it builds progressively, there's no defining single talent (a la precision slash/ataru form or Overload/merciless slash)-- the closest you'd argue would be Singularity that comes at level 25/26--with some nice things to offer in the first two tiers.

The problem with this spec is its built around building to unleash a big aoe punch. The problem with that is when hitting group of regular mobs you generally open with your aoe because 3-4 attacks in that group of 4 becomes a group of 2 and there's no point to force sweep really at that point.

So if I went back in time to plan out with no concern over respeccing I'd probably lay it out as

Level 10-11: Swelling Winds

Level 12-13: Master Focus

Level 14: Insight

Level 15-16 Swift Slash

Level 17: Blade Focus

Level 18-19: Zyphyrean Slash

Level 20: Skill Mentor Rest-- Focused slash, Valor, Merciless Zeal, Juyo Mastery capped with Overload saber picked up.

Level 21-22: Searing Saber

Level 23-28 Dual Wield Mastery and Defensive Forms in the Combat Tree

28-29: Blurred Speed

Level 30: Repelling Blows

31-32: Close Quarters

33-34: Focused Leap

35-36: Mind Sear

37: Skill mentor, respect to drop combat tree talents moving those 5 into last point of mind sear, inflammation and plasma blades.

38-39: Burning Focus

40: Merciless Slash

41-45: Put those combat points back over to combat

46: Decide if you want to start on your endgame spec or still leveliing-specific, 46-47 defensive roll if endgame, swelling winds if leveling.

48-50: Too many factors and playstyles to decide these last few