Should I Choose Slicing?

Crangor

I'm a level 24 and just getting into Crew Skills (I know, a bit late). I'm trying to decide whether or not I should choose slicing as it is apparently a good money maker and Mako has +15 slicing. Currently I have armortech, underworld trading, and investigation (I think). All of them are at around level 30/400. My main concern is that I won't be able to make armor with armortech if I do slicing, but I'm assuming I can just buy the components I need out of the galactic trade market for underworld trading or investigation (whatever skill I would be replacing). Is that true? What do you recommend?

You dont want investigation, thats for Armstechs.

You would want scavenging (for green mats) and Underworld trading (for blue/purple) as they get the components for your armour recipes.

Slicing is good, you get augments mats and recipes plus you can run cash missions. However it doesnt produce any of the base materials you need for Armourmech, so you would have to buy them (or make another toon that can do it).

I have an Armstech with scavenging and investigation, and a baby toon with slicing, armourmech and UT (the scavenging is covered by the Armstech).

Slicing is definitely a viable gathering skill. It's the only source (atm) for augment schematics, as well as The materials for said augments. and also produces other schematics on crits as well. plus, you make a good deal of money on lockboxes you farm as you level.

the downside is it isn't needed by any other companion skill. it's one of the only individual companion skills out there. So unless you have a dire need to farm lockboxes out in the open, I find its better on an alt. you can send them cash for the missions, and have them sending out companions in the background while you are playing on your main.

ok I guess I will just make a alt account for slicing, though I must say it's frusterating as mako is good at slicing... that said, couldn't i just make an alt account for scavenging and m,ake my main for slicing?

All my alts regardless of class have slicing for 1-50.

It is promptly dropped for something more useful later on.

All my toons generally hit 50 with 1 million creds,max bags and full speeder training

Slicing is still a great profession to have when out and about in the world

If you see a star pick it up, its free credits.

i would have to say on my lvl 32 char with lvl 400 slicing on average from crew mission skills im losing credits, now if thats because i dont have max affection with my companions or what im not sure but i would not suggest choosing it unless you want to stop along the road for nodes.

I would recommend that you give the alt underworld trading and the main armortech, scavenging, and slicing because scavenging and slicing are gathering skills. So when you are playing on your main, you can gather mats and credit boxes while you are questing.

All my toons generally hit 50 with 1 million creds,max bags and full speeder training

I do this as well, 10-50 Slicing + gathering skills on all 8 chars, then I moved to crew skills of benefit to next alt and levelled them while waiting on station.

i would have to say on my lvl 32 char with lvl 400 slicing on average from crew mission skills im losing credits, now if thats because i dont have max affection with my companions or what im not sure but i would not suggest choosing it unless you want to stop along the road for nodes.

On average I make money with slicing missions, be it while leveling slicing up or at 400. Sometimes you take a loss, but over time it's a profit, even with less than maxed affection.

The real money comes from slicing in the open world not lockbox missions. Those missions can actually lose money at times but the mission discoveries sell well on the GTN. With 1.3 around the corner the augment materials will be in demand so stockpile them now. Armortech, Slicing, Scavenging will allow you to craft the basic armors while you level at the same time as well as build up a collection of augments. My purple level 49 augments sell for 50k-100k+ depending on the stats.

Slicing on an alt that doesn't leave the fleet doesn't make near the amount of credits as it does on your main. Have the Alt do the Underworld trading/ treasure hunting/ diplomacy/ investigation missions and let your main do the gathering. When your main hits 50 you can drop it for whatever you want and its easy to power level the skill to 400.

Lets keep it real shall we? YOU WILL ALMOST (99.9%) ALWAYS LOSE Credits if you run any lockbox mission unless...You crit and get a purple mission (then you can sell it on GTN for a decent amount). I would still recommend slicing IF you want to collect nodes (Free credits) and collect missions.

• 2 months later...

i agree with this

for making credits on a new toon , the leveling of slicing is more profitable than it is at 400 slicing

the lockboxes almost always make more money than the cost of the mission and the lowbie crits nearly always sell quite well on the gtn; the missions are quick and one can spam them (at 400 they take an hour and unless you are farming for yourself it is quite meh)

i am trying to level treasure hunting and underworld trading at the same time and from 1-400 there is much more upside in slicing (for pure credits) ; i guess with treasure hunting i can give my companions gifts but i cant stand my companions other than khem - as for making credits i am not noticing the spikes i had from slicing; i havent really started underground trading yet so i cant say