Marauder

MouseNoFour

I have a 50 Sniper, Assassin and 48 Sage.

My 31 Marauder is real pain because of the button bloat. In order to achieve good damage, i need to hit so many buttons im constantly watching the action bar and not the screen, paying more heed of cooldowns than my surroundings.

My Assassin for example, i have to hit Saber Strike default attack, Thrash and Shock to achieve optimal damage potential. If i feel like it, i can add in other things which only make things easier. Discharge i can use if i really want to, but its not overly necessary. Not including the big cooldowns or area of attack abilities, thats only 3/4 abilities im constantly hitting on everything from random mobs on a mission or a boss in a group dungeon.

The sheer amount of abilities on my Marauder, that when i DONT hit gives me a large penalty in damage. Im constantly flat out hitting everything when they are off cooldown.

This is my only complaint regarding the Marauder class. I enjoy the dual saber style, the constant ''doing something'' mechanic of the class, but it can get quite overwhelming.

My 31 Marauder is real pain because of the button bloat. In order to achieve good damage, i need to hit so many buttons im constantly watching the action bar and not the screen, paying more heed of cooldowns than my surroundings.

My Assassin for example, i have to hit Saber Strike default attack, Thrash and Shock to achieve optimal damage potential. If i feel like it, i can add in other things which only make things easier. Discharge i can use if i really want to, but its not overly necessary. Not including the big cooldowns or area of attack abilities, thats only 3/4 abilities im constantly hitting on everything from random mobs on a mission or a boss in a group dungeon.

The sheer amount of abilities on my Marauder, that when i DONT hit gives me a large penalty in damage. Im constantly flat out hitting everything when they are off cooldown.

This is my only complaint regarding the Marauder class. I enjoy the dual saber style, the constant ''doing something'' mechanic of the class, but it can get quite overwhelming.

That's part of the point. That's one of the many reasons why we can do top-end DPS beaten out only by snipers and the Tankassin/Tank-Shadow.

You're only level 31, be patient,It's a little overwhelming at first, but you'll get used to it.

My offensive rotation consists of 13 buttons which I use every fight and need to be managed. Then I have 8 defensive buttons (one is a heal stim). THen we get into my interupt, force choke heal debuff and snare....lots of buttons but I wouldnt change it. So you need 25 hot keys to be a good marauder not inlcluding movement and jump keys lol. I have been playing this game since early beta (perma beta not weekend beta) and this is the most complicated but if done right rewarding class.

I think snipers and marauders probably have roughly the same number of abilities, just the difference is marauders use more abilities more often. Sniper is very situational so a chunk of abilities only come into play if you are being pressured unlike marauder were you use most of your abilities just being offensive.

I just have to find a happy layout for my keybinds and since I haven't played my marauder since Jan. It's like relearning the whole class again. My sniper layout flowed well. Just have to see if I can get marauder in a similar place.

Of course this could all change in the next 18 levels... but I have plenty of open spots on my layout for keybinds still since I have 32 keybinds without having to use shft, ctrl or alt.

I think snipers and marauders probably have roughly the same number of abilities, just the difference is marauders use more abilities more often. Sniper is very situational so a chunk of abilities only come into play if you are being pressured unlike marauder were you use most of your abilities just being offensive.

I just have to find a happy layout for my keybinds and since I haven't played my marauder since Jan. It's like relearning the whole class again. My sniper layout flowed well. Just have to see if I can get marauder in a similar place.

Of course this could all change in the next 18 levels... but I have plenty of open spots on my layout for keybinds still since I have 32 keybinds without having to use shft, ctrl or alt.

One of the reason I play Carnage is because of how well each ability flows into the next. Annihilation feels a bit more "choppy" to me, but it's still a very powerful spec.

How does the Rage spec compare? It seems that it's all about setting up your next smash through force choke / crush and obliterate / charge. Or am I missing something? I am finally getting to a marauder that after an assassin, sniper and vanguard.

One of the reason I play Carnage is because of how well each ability flows into the next. Annihilation feels a bit more "choppy" to me, but it's still a very powerful spec.

Hah! I'm like the exact opposite.

I find Carnage to be extremely "choppy", but It's probably because I've been playing Annihilation 99% of the time.

Every time I play carnage I feel like nothing flows together. Its just one frantic saber thrust after another and I can't keep up.

How does the Rage spec compare? It seems that it's all about setting up your next smash through force choke / crush and obliterate / charge. Or am I missing something? I am finally getting to a marauder that after an assassin, sniper and vanguard.

Rage seems to still be the least liked spec for Marauders. I wouldn't really call it "bad" but it doesn't play to a Marauder natural strengths of shutting down (single) key targets.

And you are correct that 90% of Rage is setting up your next smash.

If you want to be Rage I would argue that Juggernauts still do it slightly better. Because they just have much more control in PVP which helps Rage a ton during their "downtime" between smashes and such. That is purely my opinion though.

you use 13 different abilites in each fight? What abilities are you using?

As Carnage I use:

1. Force Charge (just to start the fight)

2. Battering Assault (for the rage)

3. Massacre

4. Gore

5. Ravage

6. Force Scream

7. Assault (to build rage)

Then when I have a full rage bar I spam Massacre

Secondary abilites that I use on boss fights are

1. Berserk

2. Frenzy

3. Blood Lust

4. Relic

5. Adrenal

Keep in mind those are all used to increase the damage of my Massacre spam while fighting bosses. So on a normal mob I am only using 7 abilities. And even on the boss fights I use the same.

Defensive cooldowns are used to keep myself alive if I take unecessary damage. As well as using Force Camo to lessen my agro.

If you are playing Carnage that is really all you need to do

Thanks for the information, I have a lowbie SW that I'll be finishing Korriban and picking my advance class soon and am still on the fence as to which AC to choose. I have always liked the double sabers, but am not sold either way. I'm looking for a mainly PVP focused (to me, wins and objectives matter more than total damage) build that is fun to play and not exceedingly complex.

If you want to be Rage I would argue that Juggernauts still do it slightly better. Because they just have much more control in PVP which helps Rage a ton during their "downtime" between smashes and such. That is purely my opinion though.

To this point, why is it that you feel this way, is it because of the intercede / guards / taunts or something else? Thanks for the information.